Sign in to follow this  
Ray Ray

1911 guide rods, what works?

I have a Springfield Armory TRP and it comes with a 2-piece full-length guide rod and it sucks. It comes apart if i don't tighten down the allen head on the rod and it makes take down a beotch. What are my options?

Ray, get rid of that 2 piece thing and get a GI set up. I have not noticed any difference in my TRP since switching and it makes take down tooless and easy.

from where?

Ray,

Either a different brand 2-pc. like Wilson, or perhaps a one-piece full length rod. I have a couple .45's with 2-pc rods that don't come apart unless you want them to. Also depends what type of barrel bushing you're using (easy to remove?).

Ray,

Either a different brand 2-pc. like Wilson, or perhaps a one-piece full length rod. I have a couple .45's with 2-pc rods that don't come apart unless you want them to. Also depends what type of barrel bushing you're using (easy to remove?).

dissasembly sucks

Then go with the GI set-up like was suggested, and use a shockbuff. Just watch for any wear on the recoil spring that would indicate "bunching or kinking" that could cause a failure to cycle. Worse case, you just change the spring more often...

Ray,

I tried the Wilson one piece FLGR and it worked great. The disassembly still sucked though. That rim on the plug is a bear on your fingers. Of course you can use the tool or even the base of a mag but, a GI setup just really simplifies it.

Personally I like one piece, full length guide rods. GI's are nice for dis/re assembly but I prefer the additional weight up front and the fact that I can put the slide together and install it on the frame as a piece if I want to.

Hike up your skirt and get a one piece... :queen:

C

I tried the Wilson one piece FLGR and it worked great. The disassembly still sucked though. That rim on the plug is a bear on your fingers. Of course you can use the tool or even the base of a mag but, a GI setup just really simplifies it.

They make a wrench for that.. makes it very easy and it is plastic not to marr up the gun..my taurus's and kimber came with one..

I've used all 3 options. 1pc, 2pc and GI plug style. GI plug is definitely the easiest when it comes to field stripping. Overall, I prefer guide rods. The spring compresses and decompresses in a linear path. When using a GI plug, the spring will bow in the path of least resistance before it compresses, either towards the barrel or dust cover. When you cycle the slide slowly on the GI plug, you can hear the spring bow and the coils dragging their way into the plug.

For my HD 1911, I use the 1pc. That way you never have to worry about part failure. Of the 3, using a 1pc is the most annoying to field strip. Gotta pull the spring off before you can slide out the rod to take out the barrel. Not the end of the world, but an additional step.

For my single-stack match 1911, I run a 2pc just for ease of disassembly. I use a quality allen key and crank down pretty hard on the rod. Have not had one instance where it started loosening up. As you are already aware, need a tool to disassemble. Not a big deal IMO. I tend to field strip and wipe off all the carbon build-up at home after a match anyway.

I have a 1pc, 2pc and GI style on different pistols. Ray-Ray a cheap solution to your "problem" is blue loctite and a little muscle. $3 bucks a small bottle. :)

Are any better than the other?

2pc is as good as a 1pc for as long it's screwed on tight. Does it make a pistol shoot more accurately vs the GI style? IMHO, I don't think so. A lot of custom guns out there right now are coming out wih the GI style spring guide and shoot as accurately as guns with a FLGR.

ordering this, thanks guys

do i need a take-down tool for this setup as well?