locochinoloco

German P226 or NH P226

So, just wondering what would you do?

Look for a older German made P226 and upgrade the sights, swap out to E2, install the SRT and possible refinish and inherit worn parts.

OR

Just buy NH P226 with all of the above and call it a day?

I can imagine the German made would cost more because of parts and labor required.

Your two cents are greatly appreciated.

As a Sig guy - both shooter and collector, I would not make the majority of modifications you indicate on an older German (depending date, you simply cannot). If those are the features you require, then you are really looking at new production.

I cant really provide statistical data as I dot look before hand. Only that every time one goes down it seems to be a NH one. However there are several guys I shoot with that have WG ones and they dont seem to go down. And they, being Sig guys, always go NH sig? when one goes down so it certainly gives that implication as well. I am not a sig guy so take this as casual observation.

Shane

I'm leaning more towards new production that has everything I want as well. But there are so much talks about how the German made are THAT MUCH better!!! ... which makes me second guess myself. Are there stats on the failure rates of SIGs made in NH?

The classic Germans ARE that much better in many cases, but you obviously do not want one, which is OK. Get what you want, versus Frankensteining to get something like you want that really only retains the place of manufacture on the slide. I agree with Shane to an extent in that the style of mass production in NH is decreasing quality, but I have not seen more new classic P series fail (i.e., 226s, 229s, 220s) over older manufacture and I see several hundred used in qualifications each year but I'm not everywhere and they pump out plenty of turkeys too (also not new to ANY era of ANY gun manufacture - lol).

Now, if you want to ditch SRT and E2, I would instantly tell you to pick up an older manufacture (well, skip the mud rails) over new. If you would consider poly frame, pick yourself up an imported SigPro 2022 (can change grips to suit, the FCUs have excellent triggers, great sights, and I can repeat the accuracy with my 9mm version all day long strong or off-hand, which most other owners (even Bruce Gray) report).

Don't abuse the gun and you will be fine. Knock on wood, why is it my guns don't break.... And I shoot a metric ton of ammo through matches.

If you want the new features, get the new sig. That is what the warranty is for.

If you want history, get a German one..... Or... Get a sig p228.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with what's been said. Personally, I'd get both. One for the history and I'd look for awestruck German version and I'd get the nh to have the options.

The nh version trigger will be gritty in my opinion. Also, a worthy upgrade to the German model is to go to the shorter main spring housing, mainspring and strut. Less stacking felt in the trigger IMO.

I have a WG 226 that I bought new in 1989. It has 5000+ rounds through it without a single issue. Feeds everything and it still more accurate than I could ever hope to be. It does not have a front rail and I had to use my wifes nail polish to fill in the faded front sight. Those are good problems to have.

The nh version trigger will be gritty in my opinion. Also, a worthy upgrade to the German model is to go to the shorter main spring housing, mainspring and strut. Less stacking felt in the trigger IMO.

+1 x 2!

I have a WG 226 that I bought new in 1989. It has 5000+ rounds through it without a single issue. Feeds everything and it still more accurate than I could ever hope to be. It does not have a front rail and I had to use my wifes nail polish to fill in the faded front sight. Those are good problems to have.

And, gasp, you could have run all 5,000 rds without a cleaning on that WG! There's a reason that they once earned that reputation of to hell and back...

The P226 X-Five is an idea for sure.... but man.... 1600+ clams.... I think bry@n's idea of buying two Sigs is a better idea. :D ... it's about the same amount of clams.

Thanks for all the feed back fellas, I'll continue to ponder ... LOL

I already have the P229 with E2 and SRT ... but I'm trying very hard to justify another one!!!

I have no personal experience with the newer long extractor, so I am biased towards the small. I would buy both but get the nh used or get the custom 22 model. Sell off the 22lr conversion and get the 9 or 40 upper. You will be around 1100 for both.

I have a NH made P226 with a little over 1000 rounds through it give or take and I have not had one malfunction. Plus with the ammo ordeal going on I have used a wide variety and it took it all like a champ. Now I just need a few extra magazines but I am having trouble finding any (sig made). I also have the 22 conversion for it which is pretty cool. :)

Yeah... I have the P229 with E2 and SRT, made in NH also, and I've put over 800+ round and never a single failure either. But I've started to look at CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical now and it seems pretty nice.... I'm not sure if I should stick to SIG or try CZ ... looks at plenty of reviews and it's suppose to be a poor man's SIG P210?

I have an older German Sig P226 with thousands of completly reliable rounds through it that was my Father's gun before it became mine. He and I used to shoot together and I never witnessed it fail, nor has it ever bobbled on me. I liked it so much, that when I became a CO, I immediately gravitated to carrying a Sig. I bought a new American made Sig P229. I broke the extractor on it three times. I fell and landed on the pistol, which broke a grip panel allowing a pin move out of place, completely disabling the pistol. I also had signiifcant issues with the pistol rusting from my sweat, regardless of what protectant I used. Sentry Solutions Marine cloth was the best, but I still had to wipe it down on a regular if there was any moisture around or it would still find a way to rust.

I wish we could get new Norinco stuff. Their 226 clone looks extremely well made

Is there anything that China makes that is original and not a knock off or a poorly disguised "clone" of something else? Pretty rotten.

OP, I'm no Sig expert, but I do own two of them. I would go for a modern version as it has everything that you are looking for plus a warranty. I think it is cool to buy an older German Sig and make her pretty, but I would use it for what it is and not try to perform major surgery on it. Just IMO.

w german p226 is supposed to have tighter tolerances than the newer nh p226. All i can tell you is that after renting both a w german 229 and 226, i found them to be extremely accurate.And i do mean accurate. bullseye after bullseye. i prefer the 3 dot aiming system(2 in rear, 1 in front). some older w german models use the 2 dot aiming system ( 1 in front,1 in rear). but, both will work.

I have had my 226r elite since 2009 and put well over 3500 rounds down range 0f 9mm and about the same with the 22 conversion with it zero problems. Buy a new sig and shoot the hell out of if you ever have an issue the customer service is top notch. and later on buy the German sig for admiration you see them on gunbroker or bud's has them every so often.

Between the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical, whew that is a long @$$ name, and the NH P229 with E2 and SRT.... I'm a bit confused... LOL ... I think I like the CZ more only because it's new and I've only done one day with it. But both are fine firearms for sure... LOL

Tallday, have you ever done any matches?

Between the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical, whew that is a long @$$ name, and the NH P229 with E2 and SRT.... I'm a bit confused... LOL ... I think I like the CZ more only because it's new and I've only done one day with it. But both are fine firearms for sure... LOL

Tallday, have you ever done any matches?

I don't shoot pistol matches.. If I did I would use an all steel CZ or a highpower.