fmtek

Town limiting permits to 2 ...can you help??

yeah.. and the funny thing is i only wanted 3 when i applied and she wouldn't do it.. i wasn't asking for 6 or 100 .. just 3 ... i didn't "need" it at the time, but you know how things just come up and you wish you had a permit in hand... well that happened and i lost out on a good deal cause of it, .. that's why i'm a little annoyed at the situation, and want to set it straight..

PLUS!!!! -- they take an $18 money order for NJSP background check every time you apply.. so i'm paying $18 + $4 (for permits), for every 2 permits... screw that.. that's also bull..

fmtek, understand the frustration. I had a very similar clerk, and once I FINALLY got around her to the Chief, everything changed. He listened to me and we called the NJSP Firearms Units together. I got caught up in the PD consolidation a few years back where my original Chief and department were on top of it and fast, but they were disbanded and absorbed by the neighboring PD who was not experienced - I was even the first-ever exemption application for them even! It's all good now, even though I still get stink-eye from the clerk when I drop of an exemption application with a dozen or two handguns on it!

Let me also suggest you develop a good relationship with a NJ FFL. That way you will NEVER lose a deal again! Sure, a FTF will go out the window and you'll pay for a transfer, but a good deal can be saved that way.

Just to break the bad news on you, if you are needing a 212 run on you this application, the SBI Unit is taking approximately 6 weeks to process 212s right now.

Very frustrating to me is that I just finally got the 3 permits (my Chief will not extend them - it is up to the issuer whether or not to) I applied for, and then after the endless wait for the 212 find the NICS actually slowed down again (contrary to expectations) and is now running 8-10 days (they were processing checks from the 20th today). This means I just got myself a permit that I won't be able to use within 90 days... UGH!

OK, stupid question - what is a 212? Do you know why the chief won't extend them? Seems kind of arbitrary. You are right on the NICS, mine just cleared Tuesday after waiting 8 days.

Your original post WAS off - you said "You are allowed up to 6 permits" and when called on it you went back and changed your post to "You are allowed USE up to 6 permits in normal circumstances."

Your original wording indicates that the LAW limits you to applying for no more than 6 permits. Please - you can call it internet commando but YOU were spreading misinformation, the LAW doesn't limit how many permits you may apply for.

I changed it so it wouldn't be misinterpreted by someone actually trying to get information from this thread and not bashing people.

You all misinterpreted my statement, so it was changed to better my wording.

I'm still not wrong. You can only use 6 in 180 days that is the law, unless you get an exemptiom for the reasons I stated.

PS: bite me. People like you are the reason I have 74 posts in 4 years on this forum.

OK, stupid question - what is a 212? Do you know why the chief won't extend them? Seems kind of arbitrary. You are right on the NICS, mine just cleared Tuesday after waiting 8 days.

A 212, technically a 212B is the SBI background check. It's just generally called the 212/212b because it's the form used to request it and is one of several types of background checks performed.

Of course it is arbitrary because as the law is written, it is up to the discretion of the issuing entity, which is the Chief. Thus, he has to answer. Oh, at one time, NONE of the permits issued by the State Police (areas without local PD) were extended. Don't know if it's still true. Anyway, it is my Chief's opinion based upon his experience that criminal history can change within 90 days such that a person is no longer qualified for a firearms purchase. Can't argue that.

fmtek, i know what you mean about it being a small town, I also had a problem with permit apps only allowing one, I sent a letter to the atourney general and my legislators for my district and it was taken care of but the detective was pissed.. oh cant keep everyone happy, when i was told he was pissed i said i was pissed being denied on how many permits i could apply for.

A 212, technically a 212B is the SBI background check. It's just generally called the 212/212b because it's the form used to request it and is one of several types of background checks performed.

Of course it is arbitrary because as the law is written, it is up to the discretion of the issuing entity, which is the Chief. Thus, he has to answer. Oh, at one time, NONE of the permits issued by the State Police (areas without local PD) were extended. Don't know if it's still true. Anyway, it is my Chief's opinion based upon his experience that criminal history can change within 90 days such that a person is no longer qualified for a firearms purchase. Can't argue that.

Well it is true that criminal history can change in 90 days, but they can change in 90 minutes too. That is the problems with so many of these laws, they are arbitrary. As a resident of the same state all people should be treated the same and it should not come down to the beliefs of certain public servants to determine what goes. Why should one person only have 2 permits for 90 days yet another can have 6 for 180 days. The courts need to fix this.

And people like you are "Why we can't have nice things." :rolleyes:

Can't we all just get along... haha. I pretty sure we all have some pretty damn nice things!

My name isn't Joseph Cryan, or Charles Mainor for that fact... If it were up to me, we'd all have NFA licenses!!!

Thats what NICS is for. THE CLEO is a moron.

Thats what NICS is for. THE CLEO is a moron.

You need to look into how NJ handles being a NICS POCS. It could be that simple, but NJ decided not to let it be that simple. The Chief is well within authority as the reg is clearly written. None of us need to rehash the redundancy of it all...

Also, even if your chief wouldn't approve renewals, you should always approve for one more than you can get in the 90 days (i.e., 4). If one of the three guns you buy ends up being defective, and needs factory replacement with parts bearing a different serial number, you need another permit. Always get +1 over the number you think you will use.

Also, even if your chief wouldn't approve renewals, you should always approve for one more than you can get in the 90 days (i.e., 4). If one of the three guns you buy ends up being defective, and needs factory replacement with parts bearing a different serial number, you need another permit. Always get +1 over the number you think you will use.

megla- I like your suggestion of requesting at least 3 (or 4) permits. I almost ran out of time on a renewed permit. It makes buying anything a real challenge. You have limited product availability, and dated permits.