wink-_-wink

Another noob question FFL?

Ok It is no secret that I am looking to buy a new pistol. I assume my permit will be in any day (along with my FID) I talked to the local PD today and the patrolman seemed to waant to get in a pissing match about who's job is better (he is a cop I am a correction officer on the federal level). Needless to say he is taking his sweet time and told me he isn't going to break his back trying to get this done.... (oh yea I am annoyed) so my question is, If I am looking at a pistol on somewhere like Gunbroker, can I buy the pistol, have it shipped to an FFL and have the FFL hold it until my permits come in? It may sound silly but I have missed some really good deals and would really like to get this done. The initial thought is what if my FID/P2P gets denied, however I do not see a reason for it to be, I am a federal LEO, military vet, current national guardsman, 0 criminal background............ Which raises another question, as far as I know this officer is ONLY waiting on talking to my supervisor at work before issueing my stuff (told me I would be OK without a gun for a month or two and not to worry cuz he has my back.....)...What if I was unemployed? Is having a job a requirement to owning a gun now? Sorry for all the dumb questions I am just starting to get fed up with the way my PD is acting especially since I grew up in this small town and everyone knows everyone!

If I am looking at a pistol on somewhere like Gunbroker, can I buy the pistol, have it shipped to an FFL and have the FFL hold it until my permits come in? Yes, but before you win an auction, I'd advise you to contact the FFL you want to use and ask them about their transfer policy and fee. Also, make sure you ask them if they have a problem storing your firearm until your paperwork goes through. Most shouldn't have an issue with it, but you should tell them upfront.

The initial thought is what if my FID/P2P gets denied, however I do not see a reason for it to be, I am a federal LEO, military vet, current national guardsman, 0 criminal background? With your background and profession I wouldn't worry about a denial. You can cross that bridge when (likely IF) you come to it.

What if I was unemployed? Your paperwork wouldn't be stuck on the 'employment verification.

Is having a job a requirement to owning a gun now? Nope, just another step the state can put in to deter/delay the issuance process.

Sorry for all the dumb questions I am just starting to get fed up with the way my PD is acting especially since I grew up in this small town and everyone knows everyone! We can't help you if you don't ask any questions. Welcome to the wonderful world of NJ firearms ownership where the state sets the rules, breaks them, and will prosecute you if you follow their example. Hell, sometimes they'll prosecute even if you don't break the law, ya know just for kicks and to keep the peons in line.

Hey, never did it before, but I have asked FFLs. You can buy the gun and have it shipped to a FFL no problem. Any that do transfers will hold your stuff. Some will want you to pay the transfer up front, and some like RTSP will charge you a monthly fee for every month it sits in their safe (I would call my local FFL to make sure they expect a gun on my behalf). Sorry to hear your department hassled you, you think they would show you a little blue courtesy with you being a LEO and all (I have family in Corrections, and they hate to be called "prison guards"). I doubt your FID/ P2P will get denied, as long as you disclosed everything (good, bad, ugly... lol). The first time I applied for my FID/ P2P I was a college student (jobless) and I was approved with no work reference. From my experience getting multiple P2Ps in Jersey City, I can say that my department is not only fast, but a pleasure to deal with as well.

Yea I kind of was looking for some professional courtesy, and my reasoning is the bad guys I deal with I deal with for hours upon hours day in and day out... I may not be a cop but I also don't walk around with a gun at work... When I leave work, I ALWAYS carry no matter what or where I am going!!! I had an incident dealing with magazines so my current pistol is out of commission and this guy is telling me ill be ok and he will have my back was almost a slap in the face.... He continually said crap like UGH YOU CORRECTION GUYs... lol I mean when I say small town, I know this guys wife, went to school with her and his sisters... His boss, the chief, I grew up hanging out with his daughters... The town is tiny a square mile, these guys are NOT that busy!! they DAMN sure aren't too busy with firearms stuff... I just could not believe how much of a Dbag this guy was being on the phone, I expect I added another couple of weeks to my wait... If it takes more than another couple of weeks do I go to the chief? I don't want to make it a big deal I just want to buy my new pistol maybe a rifle and go about my business...

Yea I kind of was looking for some professional courtesy, and my reasoning is the bad guys I deal with I deal with for hours upon hours day in and day out... I may not be a cop but I also don't walk around with a gun at work... When I leave work, I ALWAYS carry no matter what or where I am going!!! I had an incident dealing with magazines so my current pistol is out of commission and this guy is telling me ill be ok and he will have my back was almost a slap in the face.... He continually said crap like UGH YOU CORRECTION GUYs... lol I mean when I say small town, I know this guys wife, went to school with her and his sisters... His boss, the chief, I grew up hanging out with his daughters... The town is tiny a square mile, these guys are NOT that busy!! they DAMN sure aren't too busy with firearms stuff... I just could not believe how much of a Dbag this guy was being on the phone, I expect I added another couple of weeks to my wait... If it takes more than another couple of weeks do I go to the chief? I don't want to make it a big deal I just want to buy my new pistol maybe a rifle and go about my business...

My first guess is this is Bay Head, second Point Pleasant Beach? Two super small towns full of A-hole cops. I should know, I lived in point beach when I was a young boy running wild. lol

My first guess is this is Bay Head, second Point Pleasant Beach? Two super small towns full of A-hole cops. I should know, I lived in point beach when I was a young boy running wild. lol

Two great guesses but my town is smaller than even those! The cops aren't complete Aholes here it was just a "who's junk is bigger" type thing and I was just like are you serious man... you deal with "bad guys" minutes at a time, I am locked in with 350+ of them for hours.... DAILY! I think it is one of those things where he thinks only cops should carry off duty and i am not REALLY a leo...but screw him I have a bigger jurisdiction than he does.... lol

...but screw him I have a bigger jurisdiction than he does.... lol

That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus, by the time they get out of jail, they forgot the cop that nailed them, but you better believe that they remember that CO that gave them some attitude in front of their "crew." The people I know just love when they are on the street and some ex-inmate comes up to them yelling "CO! CO!" like they're old friends.

I worked in a county jail down soouth several years back. I was carrying and was in the local walmart not even 5 min away from the jail and had an ex inmate apparently follow me around the store, waited till I was looking into something and grabbed my shoulder and said HA I GOT YO ASS NOW CO (used my name).... he was VERY appologetic and learned a life lesson that day as my pistol was in his stomach and my finger was on the trigger.... turned out it was one of our regulars just a knucklehead who couldnt stay out of trouble... He was messing with me but I do not think he will ever do that again!!

My biggest fear isnt een the inmates getting out... Here is the thing... I work in FEDERAL prison... these guys have MAJOR ties to outside people.. MANY of them still run their criminal activity from within the prison! THESE GUYS HAVE CONNECTIONS! I may not recognize their counterparts on the outside... maybe I am paranoid or maybe I am in the right mind set for my career, either way I dont trust my life in the arms of a 911 call and a 10-20 min response... thats for sure!

Hey, never did it before, but I have asked FFLs. You can buy the gun and have it shipped to a FFL no problem. Any that do transfers will hold your stuff. Some will want you to pay the transfer up front, and some like RTSP will charge you a monthly fee for every month it sits in their safe (I would call my local FFL to make sure they expect a gun on my behalf). Sorry to hear your department hassled you, you think they would show you a little blue courtesy with you being a LEO and all (I have family in Corrections, and they hate to be called "prison guards"). I doubt your FID/ P2P will get denied, as long as you disclosed everything (good, bad, ugly... lol). The first time I applied for my FID/ P2P I was a college student (jobless) and I was approved with no work reference. From my experience getting multiple P2Ps in Jersey City, I can say that my department is not only fast, but a pleasure to deal with as well.

Who at RTSP told you that? I was told they would hold a purchase for me until permits came in and no fee was ever discussed - and that was from one of the principals.

Who at RTSP told you that? I was told they would hold a purchase for me until permits came in and no fee was ever discussed - and that was from one of the principals.

The only guy I know is Brad. He helped me with a purchase. Another gentleman whom I picked the gun up from passed me that information (he didn't seem to be in a good mood). He also told me that members are exempt. It's also listed on their site. I would have asked a few more questions (like his name) if I didn't have to GTFO with my gun so I could get to work on time. Maybe in light of the crisis, they are waving their fee?