Sign in to follow this  
BossyMossy

Article Claiming that New Jersey has No Mental Background Checks?

Can anybody shed some light on this nonsense?

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20130401/NEWS02/304010016/Mental-health-records-not-part-gun-checks-New-Jersey

I'm confused. Do they want "Instant" mental health background checks? Are they saying that the mental background check we go through for each pistol is not enough? WTH?

http://www.courierpo...ecks-New-Jersey

I'm confused. Do they want "Instant" mental health background checks? Are they saying that the mental background check we go through for each pistol is not enough? WTH?

They seem to only be concerned with the fact that NICS doesn't include mental health. They probably have no idea NJ even has background-checked pistol permits.

Just the typical problem of anti-gunners not knowing what the heck they're talking about. *smh*

http://www.courierpo...ecks-New-Jersey

New Jersey’s law, approved in 2010, requires anyone seeking to purchase a gun to obtain either a permit or a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card following a background check. Both options require purchasers to agree to disclosure of their mental health records.The county adjuster then searches the applicant’s mental illness records within that county or within the state. It’s unclear how far back those records go.

I thought all of this goes back to 1966.

But (1.) those paragraphs seem to contradict the point that the reporter was trying to make at beginning of the article and (B.) I don't remember Christie signing anything in 2010, and he was elected Governor in November 2009. I received a FPID before 2010, and I'm pretty sure it involved a mental health background check.

If background screening for NJ politicians was as thorough as it is for firearms purchasers, the state wouldn't be in the mess it is today.

Maybe reporters shouldn't drink or use drugs before they write articles.

I tried to post what would have been the 5th comment, agreeing with the four before me. I was blocked, because I'm not on Facebook (who thought it was a good idea to require that?).

Anyway, if anyone with a Facebook account wants to borrow/edit the text I had entered, here it is:

Rich, Joe, Eric, and Chris are exactly right. 100% of NJ applicants go through a mental health check. It's been that way for decades. The process rarely takes less than 2 or 3 months, and often much longer. I wonder why the reporters chose to ignore the facts.

"No mental health background checks" is news to everyone in Essex County where nobody has been able to legally purchase a handgun or obtain a firearm purchaser ID card since Hurricane Sandy - everyone in the county has to wait while the mental health records of the county are meticulously recovered from water damage, so that mental health background checks can be done.

My guess is that they are speaking about the mental health aspect of the NICS check. Not all states contribute mental health data to the NICS database - NJ being one of those states that does not report. If you remember, one of those 23 ranrodded bills had a component in it about fully reporting mental health issues to the feds for inclusion in the NICS database. And yes, they totally missed the fact that a mental health background check is needed for every FPID and P2P application - which was part of the point of being a NICS POC state.

I have no idea what they are talking about regarding 2010 - that is totally bogus.

Adios,

Pizza Bob