bv1983

Ruger SR1911 vs. Springfield 1911 range officer "which is better"

So, im looking to purchase a 1911 as soon i receive my set of permits. Ive been doing my research on both handguns on different forums and youtube, and both seem to have good reviews. if you were to buy one which one would you pick?

SA Range officer will (in theory) be more accurate and better suited for competition or target shooting. The SR 1911 is built more towards defensive use. BUT, both will do either.

Of the two choices I say the RO. Not because I own one but because the build quality is much better IMO. Im not saying the Sr1911 is bad, but for around $100 more id prefer having a forged steel frame and slide. The barrel bushing on my RO is also VERY tight.

The 1911forum has tons of info on both of those models if you havent already looked.

I picked the RO for many of the reason posted above.. for a production run of the mill 1911 it gets you more for the $$$ especially if you decide it will be primarily a range pistol. It falls under the "target" category, with LPA rear sights.. and the fit is very good for something that otherwise you wouldn't expect. It's the little brother to the TRP. plus you can always send it into SA for upgrades down the line... honestly, if you were to take a sr1911 and bring it up to the RO standards you would be spending much more.. but it depends on the use... the RO is not a defensive 1911 with the stock sights and its not a competition pistol, it falls right in the middle which is what they were going for, something the average user could really appreciate. They make a non-adjustable sight for it, and others, in standard and night if you want to use it for HD or carry.