Sign in to follow this  
munchie

Newbie from Somerset county with some questions

Hi All,

I'm from Somerset county and I want to apply for a FPID but I'm wondering if I would get denied due to two things. One is that I got arrested for some pot when I was 18 and I have a misdemeanor charge on my record for it. Another one is that I got a DUI over 4 years ago. I stopped smoking pot many years ago and I do not use or have any drug problems. I do drink occasionally but I'm not an alcoholic. I am now 33, married with my first kid on the way. I'm not a bad guy, just made some stupid mistakes in the past. Do you think I will get denied due to those two things I mentioned? I've read that some people got denied for DUIs and I've also read that some people got approved even with DUIs. Is it true that misdemeanors in NJ count as disorderly persons offense? Some people I talked to are telling me to just apply for it and see what happens. Some people are telling me to expunge the misdemeanor charge from my record then apply for it but what about the DUI? Help! lol

NJ doesn't have misdemeanors of felonies. That's NY. we have indictables and non-indictables. Non indictables are disorderly persons or petty disorderly persons offenses. Indictables go by degree 1 though 4. 1 being the highest. Unfortunately every town is different but you may have to try and get an expungement. The most recent dwi probably won't go way for some time. Have you talked to Anybody in the dept to see what they think.

Oh welcome to the forums

Thanks everybody, I'm leaning towards getting the record expunged first.

Check it out! I don't know about your charges, but there may be a certain amount of time before you can have an expungement. In my case (not misdemeanor ) I had to wait 5yrs for Federal and 10 yrs for State. In your case, I doubt there would be any problem having your record cleared right away.

Both of those charges are no reason for you to be denied the right to own a weapon.  That being said, the CP of your township can deny you  and then you can go to court to discuss it or even meet with him to discuss.  

Apply for the FID, deal with issues that come back if you have to.  There are a few lawyers here and there that love to do pro-bono firearm work, or even work with firearm related issues on the cheap for the exposure.

Expungements are good,  they will take a few months to happen depending on how the court clerk reacts to it.

Expungements can be done for the most part yourself, you only need a lawyer to "sign off" on it i believe.