Sign in to follow this  
Sludog

Looking for a .223 range rifle...Should I even bother?

I was thinking about getting a .223 rifle, my first rifle, to do some range target shooting this summer. Either bolt action or automatic but I am leaning more towards bolt. I would like to start off with under 50 yards target shooting and would like to stick to sights and not use a scope, at least for a while. Now my question is with the current ammo shortage should I even bother to start target shooting with this type of caliber? From what I have seen online that this ammo is very hard to come by but I have not checked in my local shops yet. Is .223 really hard to find locally and will it get easier to find by this summer?

A few of the .223 rifles I have been looking at but have not seen in person were Savage Axis and Ruger mini 14. What other models should I look for to start off with for my needs.

I was thinking about getting a .223 rifle, my first rifle, to do some range target shooting this summer. Either bolt action or automatic but I am leaning more towards bolt. I would like to start off with under 50 yards target shooting and would like to stick to sights and not use a scope, at least for a while. Now my question is with the current ammo shortage should I even bother to start target shooting with this type of caliber? From what I have seen online that this ammo is very hard to come by but I have not checked in my local shops yet. Is .223 really hard to find locally and will it get easier to find by this summer?

A few of the .223 rifles I have been looking at but have not seen in person were Savage Axis and Ruger mini 14. What other models should I look for to start off with for my needs.

IMHO you should in fact always do what is feeling right and is best for you. Why do otherwise right? Unless a specific reason of course.

I got out of the .223 in September (I had to sell my AR for emergency cash), then I realized, I had a ton of .22LR, a ton of 7.62x39 figuratively speaking (and a rifle to shoot it) and I got me a really decent Remington 700 in .308, decent scope, decent bipod, decent stash of ammo. For MYSELF and my Family and short and medium future, I feel like I have the short range, medium range, and long ranges covered. .223 doesn't need to be in there it would be an extra ( and of course an EXTRA COST for me.).

Now if you HAVE An AR or a couple of ARs etc. then it makes more sense cause you're just adding on. Now the rilfes you mentioned. Savage Axis vs. Mini 14. BIG DIFFERENCE imho ... Axis is an entry level bolt action , Mini-14 is a name brand semi-automatic. SUBSTANTIAL price difference. I am betting you can get an Axis, a 'decent' scope, and a couple hundred rounds for the price if not a little less than a Mini-14 straight up. And let the record reflect i LOVE SAVAGE, *EXTREME* value for dollar and quality-to-price-ratio . Plus I also dig the bolt-action and it will be less trouble, easier to maintain, perfect for a first rifle. I will also say begrudgingly that .223 is a pretty great starter caliber, no real recoil to worry about, used to be fairly decent price, etc. (NOW it's very expensive and .308 is even more expensive).

Keep in mind though a .308 will do anyhing and MORE you need or want a .223 to do, but of course a .223 isn't reciprocal. A lot of places wouldn't let you hunt with that .223 rifle so if you want a jack of all trades rifle for a few years and might go hunting, that is a factor.

If I was you and I am not, and I will get a lot of flack for this, I would consider this- Get yourself a Savage Mark II .22LR package rifle (around $200 from like Dick's Sporting Goods) and an Axis .308 package rifle ( even cheaper than I remember, Buds Gun Shop has it $322 right now ...Walmart, Cheaper than Dirt, also have them..) . You could probably go to Dick's and get both.

They will be fine rifles for a long time. They will come with basic scopes to get you at least started. The .22LR will be great to learn on, practice extremely cheaply, and also you can keep it for the future forever, maybe upgrade the scope sometimes but it will last you. The .308 Axis is also an entry rifle but an AWESOME entry rifle, the .308 caliber is enough for *ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING YOU CAN WANT TO DO ON NORTH AMERICA* virtually, from range shooting, target/or just plinking fun, 100-600+ yds (the round will go 1000 yds under right circumstances but i doubt you and I will be shooting that far)... you could bring it with you to hunt if you ever go somewhere, .308 is VERY VERY COMMON and easy to find ( the present ammo crisis nonwithstanding but still I can find a few boxes whenever I go out)... and both as I said , come with entry level 'cheap' scopes that will get you going and you can always upgrade later when you save up.

$350+$250 is what, $600? For two rifles w scopes and you can spend some more on ammo for both. And you honestly have two rifles that should last for lifetime(s).

Anyway just a thought lol.

Pricing at local shops will be the best. Most places have a limit on number of boxes but if you have some place local you can stop in everyday on the way home or something then you can accumulate some ammo. PRICES WILL GO DOWN. Maybe not to pre crisis buying but at least not $1 a round like it has been.

I'm dying for a mossberg MVP which is a bolt action that takes ar mags but yea good luck finding one. If this is just target shooting any entry level by ruger/savage/marlin would be fine. My opinion is just find a good deal on an ar if that's what you want. They are out there

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

223 was a great caliber for target shooting since it was a cheaply priced rifle round. However, as you know at this point there is harly any 223 to be found and with the laws still coming people are hoarding it! Are you thinking about getting into the AR platform at all? You can find a few here and there the good thing about ar's is that you can change calibers. If you are looking for a good bolt action look into the remington 700 sps tactial. Its an extremely accurate bolt action rifle, it comes in 308 and 223 configurations. Also when buying a 223 rifle make sure you get one that it 5.56 nato instead of the 223 since it can shoot both caibers 223 and 5.56. This will give you a few more ammo buying options. I have also been looking at the Mossberg MVP but I am not sure its 100% NJ legal but its is cool looking and priced well. Overall to answer your question I think supply will be a bit better buy the summer but its still going to be hard to find since they are slowly working on the laws to change them and over time they keep introducing more and more worse laws to hurt us the legal citizens. At this rate I would look into another caliber if you want the rifle and ammo right away. I hope this helps!

I was looking for a bolt action rifle to use the 7.62x39mm ammo I have, which is a lot. I found the CZ527 was one of the nicest guns out there, and I wanted iron sights, this will be used as a plinker. Well, it was very tough to find, but the .223 version was everywhere, so I bought one of those. Ammo is not easily found. I did finally find the CZ527 in 7.62x39mm so I grabbed one. Now I'll have two of the same gun and use whichever one I have the ammo for.

223 was a great caliber for target shooting since it was a cheaply priced rifle round. However, as you know at this point there is harly any 223 to be found and with the laws still coming people are hoarding it! Are you thinking about getting into the AR platform at all? You can find a few here and there the good thing about ar's is that you can change calibers. If you are looking for a good bolt action look into the remington 700 sps tactial. Its an extremely accurate bolt action rifle, it comes in 308 and 223 configurations. Also when buying a 223 rifle make sure you get one that it 5.56 nato instead of the 223 since it can shoot both caibers 223 and 5.56. This will give you a few more ammo buying options. I have also been looking at the Mossberg MVP but I am not sure its 100% NJ legal but its is cool looking and priced well. Overall to answer your question I think supply will be a bit better buy the summer but its still going to be hard to find since they are slowly working on the laws to change them and over time they keep introducing more and more worse laws to hurt us the legal citizens. At this rate I would look into another caliber if you want the rifle and ammo right away. I hope this helps!

Why would the MVP not be legal?

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

What about .223 ammo. Is it as scarce as .22 lr or can it be found? I have not looked for it in local shops but I have been looking online for ammo and it seems that it is nowhere to be found just like .22 lr ammo.

I personally wouldn't go near a .223 right now....or maybe even ever at this point.

It's become the poster child for the anti movement, which sucks because it used to be a great cheap centerfire plinking round.

Why did you gravitate to the .223? Price? Recoil? etc..?

The price and recoil was the main reason for .223 interest. I wanted something more powerful than a .22 but not too much like a 243 or 308 that would probably bounce me around and not be as enjoyable to shoot. I also figured I could learn the basics of rifle shooting with the smaller caliber rifle and work on my aim.

If it's only a plinker for paper and such i would go out of the box RUGER has a bolt action 357 rifle or a lever action easily reloadable and future use in a pistol.

Cool, thanks for the info. Yes I am just looking to plink and shoot paper. I will have to check this out. Do you know what the model name or number the above Ruger rifles are? In a month or two I want to get a .38 or .357 revolver. I take it you can use .38/.357 pistol ammo in the Ruger rifle as well?

Cool, thanks for the info. Yes I am just looking to plink and shoot paper. I will have to check this out. Do you know what the model name or number the above Ruger rifles are? In a month or two I want to get a .38 or .357 revolver. I take it you can use .38/.357 pistol ammo in the Ruger rifle as well?

The Ruger is a 77/357 but I'm not a fan of the low 5 rd rotary mag cap. MVP's have been received well but untill 2 months ago were only optics, no buis. which didnt work for me. Now the MVP line has a 16" bull or threaded brl with sights too called the Patrol model.I'm making it my next lg buy but am waiting a little while to see if any quirks need to addressed before I get one. The sights are FO so not true buis but thats ok for me and a short sight radius as the rear sight sits forward of the scope rail but thats fine too.Remember the MVPs co-op their mags with AR15s. The traditional branded levers, especially the 357's are getting too pricy, but Rossi seems to be gaining interest with theirs which is still reasonbly priced.

The Ruger is a 77/357 but I'm not a fan of the low 5 rd rotary mag cap. MVP's have been received well but untill 2 months ago were only optics, no buis. which didnt work for me. Now the MVP line has a 16" bull or threaded brl with sights too called the Patrol model.I'm making it my next lg buy but am waiting a little while to see if any quirks need to addressed before I get one. The sights are FO so not true buis but thats ok for me and a short sight radius as the rear sight sits forward of the scope rail but thats fine too.Remember the MVPs co-op their mags with AR15s. The traditional branded levers, especially the 357's are getting too pricy, but Rossi seems to be gaining interest with theirs which is still reasonbly priced.

How is the recoil on the .357 rifles? I am am looking for some light recoil to start out with so I can learn the fundamentals of rifle shooting without getting bounced around and have a sore shoulder for a month. I will probably use .38 ammo to start out with. Can you use the same magazines for .38 and .357?

Speaking of lever action, I saw a used Uberti .38 lever for sale at my LGS but they wanted $800 which I thought was a bit high. I also really like the lever action guns as well and will add one of those to my collection this summer.

Problem is that I am running out of money. :lol:

If you want a light recoiling rifle, for which ammunition is relatively available - and you don't reload, consider a bolt action .17HMR. Very accurate, virtually no felt recoil. Great rifle to learn the fundamentals as well as for advanced shooters. They can be had relatively inexpensively. Ammo (haven't really checked lately) probably runs in the neighborhood of $12 to $16 per box of 50 and there are various bullets available (17 gr ballistic tip, 20 gr hollowpoints etc). Savage makes all kinds of variations of their 93R17 rifles (stay away from the synthetic stock - best to get laminated wood stock).

Accurate. Inexpensive to acquire and shoot. Useful if you decide to do a little varminting (don't know about NJ hunting laws). Gives you everything a centerfire rifle does without the expense.

Just something for your consideration.

Here is my 17 Hummer (although this one is a little bit more money than the Savage - doesn't necessarily make it shoot any better)

2d6tatu.jpg

Adios,

PIzza Bob

If you want a light recoiling rifle, for which ammunition is relatively available - and you don't reload, consider a bolt action .17HMR. Very accurate, virtually no felt recoil. Great rifle to learn the fundamentals as well as for advanced shooters. They can be had relatively inexpensively. Ammo (haven't really checked lately) probably runs in the neighborhood of $12 to $16 per box of 50 and there are various bullets available (17 gr ballistic tip, 20 gr hollowpoints etc). Savage makes all kinds of variations of their 93R17 rifles (stay away from the synthetic stock - best to get laminated wood stock).

Accurate. Inexpensive to acquire and shoot. Useful if you decide to do a little varminting (don't know about NJ hunting laws). Gives you everything a centerfire rifle does without the expense.

Just something for your consideration.

Here is my 17 Hummer (although this one is a little bit more money than the Savage - doesn't necessarily make it shoot any better)

2d6tatu.jpg

Adios,

PIzza Bob

That's funny. You just said the same thing the guy working at Dick's said to me the other day. He said they almost always have .17 ammo on the shelves since it is not that popular caliber and they only sell one .17 rifle in store. I have seen .17 ammo online much more often the the impossible .22 ammo. I will look into these as well. Thanks for the info.

I normally buy things that I want when I want them and to heck with the price. However I am expecting to see a lot of firearms being sold after this current panic subsides as I know a lot of people who just bought guns, never unboxed them, just because they thought they would be banned; even those not even mentioned in any gun control proposal like revolvers. Eventually I believe that as the fear subsides and demand drops drastically, market forces will drive the prices back down to a reasonable level and a lot of people who bought guns that they have no intention of using, will be looking to recoup some of what they spent for them. I fully anticipate individuals trying to sell their panic purchases for close to what they paid for them and it will be like the housing market where the inflated values of homes met reality and the only way to sell was to lower your asking price.

I have bought 3 new guns this year as prices began to rise but they are guns that I would have bought this year for my birthday and xmas as carry guns to be used every week. They are already selling for $100 more than I paid for them so I think I did the smart thing. However, I have withheld purchases for guns that I just want for fun range shooting. They can wait for prices to stabilize and supply to exceed demand.

I think it will take years before ammo supplies get back to normal. Government buys 7 years worth of ammo in two months. That's a lot of stock to replenish. This is why when shopping for a rifle I want to make sure I can get ammo and use it.