jds560

Any good reason to pick a 38sp over a 357mag?

Scouting how to use my third permit (Glock 30, BHP...) Something with a 4" barrel under $500. I know 38's are usually a bit cheaper, but is there any real reason to pick one over a 357. The 357 will be able to shoot the 38's anyway...

The only reasons would be weight and price. I have always owned a .357 mag for about 40 years now. I can shoot .357, .38 +P and .38. Can even get some very light .38 cowboy loads if needed. Same with .357. I have mild loads like the Golden Saber and some hard cast loads from Buffalo Bore for big critters. If it is for Home Defense or the range, might as well go for the .357 magnum if the price is not much higher. Always fun to shoot a cylinder of .357 hot loads once in a while. Here is mine:

GP100-Wiley-Clapp.jpg

Have had a .357 for 30 some years and love the flexibility of being able to shoot .38, .38+p, .357 mag and a very wide range of reloads. I also plan on getting a .357 lever gun, which would shoot the same ammo.

If you look around you can find .38 ammo for less than .22, hard to beat for plinking and punching paper.

Please tell me where you are able to get .38 special ammo for under 4 cents a round. I'll buy all they'll sell me.

....and I Sir will be right behind you....

I was thinking the same thing on what revolver to get. I will probably go with a .357 revolver this summer. It is more expensive and heavier but it is like getting three guns in one with the .38 ammo flexibility. Like mentioned the extra weight will reduce .38 recoil for sure so my wife can use this gun and not get pushed around. Also with the ammo shortages it is nice to have options. I am also looking to get a .38 or .357 rifle as well to bring to the range for some target and plinking.

I tend to like to shoot specific calibers out of guns chambered for that caliber. I have a couple .44 Mags, but have never shot .44 Spl out of them - I have revolvers chambered in .44 Spl for that. Likewise, I have some .357 Mags, but have never shot .38 Spl's in them - I have .38 Spl guns for that.

Probably more a result of me being lazy and not liking to have to really clean the chambers after shooting the shorter rounds. I should be picking-up a 586 chambered specifically in .38 Special this week (Monday will be 2 weeks in NICS). I intend to use that for IDPA SSR Division.

I am at an age now that I am of the mind that what do you really need the magnum rounds for? When I hunted and/or shot metallic silhouette with a handgun, that was different - but punching paper or in practical competition, there is no need.

Just my $.02 worth.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I actually will only probably shoot 38's out of it since it will be for range/plinking (until I join the navy or coastguard and move to a free state). I do kind of like the snub sized revolvers as well like the Mod 37 or the Windicator. I'll have to do some more research, but I guess a 357 is the better choice since I'll have options.

I was in the same boat. Yes, 357 has more power, but there isn't a real need. Shooting targets is irrelevant, and I'd bet my life on a 38SWCHP+P since the FBI and just about every PD in the US used it.

I bought an old police S&W model 64. Same weight and size as the 357 equivalent. I'd recommend anything S&W over the competition, except maybe a Python.