Bacchus88

FPID and Employment reference

I noticed on here that a couple people had letters sent to their work in addition to the 2 references. Is this something that every police department does? I am asking because my 2 references got their letters 2 days after i handed in my paperwork, but my work has not yet recieved one.

The employer information imparted on your application (STS-033) is ONLY to be used for employment verification. PD's that use your employer as a third reference are violating your privacy in contravention of:

NJAC 13:54-1.15, which states: Any background investigation conducted by the chief of police, the Superintendent or the county prosecutor, of any applicant for a permit, firearms identification card license, or registration, in accordance with the requirements of this chapter, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such investigation, including the applicant. Any application for a permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any document reflecting the issuance or denial of such permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any permit, firearms identification card, license, certification, certificate, form of register, or registration statement, maintained by any State or municipal governmental agency, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such documentation, including the applicant, except on the request of persons acting in their governmental capacities for purposes of the administration of justice.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I know that my work received paperwork to fill out for proof of employment. When my daughter filed for her FPID she put her place of employment (at the time) on her app, but when she applied for her pistol permit she wasn't working and put down that she was a student and they (as far as we know) didn't contact anybody. The first time I applied for a pistol permit while working at my present job the paperwork was lost somewhere in our HR dept. I had to have the Police dept to fax over another copy. That added a couple of extra weeks to my wait. Now I attach a business card from the HR person in charge to my applications so that doesn't happen again.

I know that my work received paperwork to fill out for proof of employment. When my daughter filed for her FPID she put her place of employment (at the time) on her app, but when she applied for her pistol permit she wasn't working and put down that she was a student and they (as far as we know) didn't contact anybody. The first time I applied for a pistol permit while working at my present job the paperwork was lost somewhere in our HR dept. I had to have the Police dept to fax over another copy. That added a couple of extra weeks to my wait. Now I attach a business card from the HR person in charge to my applications so that doesn't happen again.

It amazes me how employers seem to lose these forms. Mine were "lost" also the first time they were sent in.

Is having a job a requirement for applying for a FPID, why would they actually need employment verification? I figured they would send the letter to the employers to ask their opinion on weither you are a "disgruntled" employee or not.

I can't remember whether they called my employer when I originally applied for my FID. However...they do indeed call my employer every time I get a pistol permit. They ask for my manager and ask her questions about my capabilities, etc. Annoys the you know what out of me.

They called mine and there was a fee to them for just providing acknowledgement that I was currently an employee. The nice officer in my town called me and told me. He then asked if he could call another employee who would verify my employment. Which he did. When unemployed. you just have to write unemployed. I don't know what is done in that case. But, you certainly don't want to write that if you are employed. By the way, do they identify the reason for contacting the employer?

Is having a job a requirement for applying for a FPID, why would they actually need employment verification? I figured they would send the letter to the employers to ask their opinion on weither you are a "disgruntled" employee or not.

People who are unemployed or full time students get away without this extra step.

Its unfair to employed people...

I have to say, the best question on the application is the one asking if you are or ever have been part of a group that seeks to overthrow the goverment of the US.....seriously who would actually answer yes to that!

My boss asked me why I was buying a gun! They sent the letter but didn't put anyone's attention. The police didn't get a response and told me to take it to my immediate supervisor. Who knows who saw that letter. What if my boss is a person of questionable character?. This practice should be stopped. At the very least the letter should only state that they are doing a non criminal background check.

I shouldn't have to discuss why I'm buying a gun with ANYONE!

Well, if they pass the bill with the big A on your driver's license, when you are hired from now on, and if you show your driver's license, your boss will know anyway. And, every time you cash a check the teller will know, if you need your driver's license.

Yes, we must punish all free people. Round Em Up! And, mark them as undesireable.

My town (Ocean Twp) called my direct supervisor at work and asked basically if I was having any issues at my job that should prevent me from getting a firearm. I'm fortunate that my boss is a very down to earth person and I get along with him well. But I could imagine in some instances that could make for some awkward workplace conversations the next day.