Sign in to follow this  
laabci

Do you ever settle ?

Between expiring purchase permits, OGAM, not-so-instant NICS and low inventory it can be challenging to obtain the exact handgun one is looking for. I have seen a few references like "I won't let my permit go to waste"

I do have a list of a few I'd like to have - some more than others. But sometimes I feel I won't be able to get some of my more wanted guns.

Do you ever find yourself buying a gun you don't really care for only because your permit is expiring ?

its tough letting a permit go to waste when you don't have enough time to buy at a local shop because of OGAM. I'm in that position now and it sucks. I had 3 permits and didn't waste any time buying as soon as OGAM was up.

I know what I want to get, but I'll most likely end up feeling like I've settled on something due to time constraints.

I agree with blueline and holyhand. I wouldn't settle either. If you can't find what your looking for at your Lgs or online, when it's time to extend your permits for another 90 days, submit another application for another batch of permits. That way by the time your first batch is set to expire, your second batch should be ready or close to ready to be picked up. That should give you plenty of time to find the gun you really want.

I don't have the expiring permit problem because I pay for the pistol on the spot, then I go to my police department for the permits after that. If your dealer won't take your $ until you've got a permit in hand then find another dealer.

yes, just happened in Feb/ early March. Did not want to waste permit and got something that I like, not love.

Supply was very limited in Feb so beggars can't be choosers.

That sucks matrix

I was about to settle for a model 10 because it was affordable but im glad I didnt.

I put in for 5 permits and so far I have 3 of them used up on pistols that were exactly what I wanted, at the price I wanted to buy them at. I am anticipating being able to find another one on my list for a decent price (ruger 22/45 lite) but it is likely that permit #5 will be a random purchase or something I settle for. The remaining items on my list were pipe dreams.

I subscribe to the motto of a previous poster "no permit left behind" I will sooner buy something I am not in love with than waste a permit I paid for and waited an ungodly amount of time to receive.

No reason to settle. You can find what you want by searching on-line. Of course you have to pay for shipping and transfer fees...

I did exactly the same, for my first puchase no less.

Then a month later I saw my gun in the shop for $30 less :-) but yes, I paid all the fedex and shipping and transfer just to get what I wanted.

Only having two permits in hand, it impacts my buying behavior.