brucin

Bizarre problem

I went through the, as all of you know arduous process to obtain my initial FID and 2 P2P starting in early January and finally culminating in early April with the issuance of said documents.

Compared to what I've read about other members misfortunes in applying I didn't do to bad.

That is till today when I went to purchase my first handgun. I fill out the "non instant criminal search" form and give it to the clerk with my FID and she says something is wrong. Apparently the number on the card is short by 2 digits. The clerk called over the owner who looks at the card and says he thinks they must have typed the wrong number on the card. Being a customer oriented guy he tells me to check the number on my permits. That should be correct and he will be able to submit the NICS check. Guess what? The same short number is on both my permits. I even checked my wife's card and permit and her number is six digits and one letter and hers was issued a month prior to mine. Mine has only four digits and a letter.

I'm hoping that this will not take to long to fix.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this or am I the lucky lottery winner?

They let me put a deposit on the gun and will hold it but this is a bit inconvenient.

your sure your wifes is 7 digits and a letter (8 total characters)? mine is 6 digits and a letter (7 total) and i've never had an issue. seems strange, i doubt the employee and owner would both make a silly mistake if there was a common variance among our cards.

your sure your wifes is 7 digits and a letter (8 total characters)? mine is 6 digits and a letter (7 total) and i've never had an issue. seems strange, i doubt the employee and owner would both make a silly mistake if there was a common variance among our cards.

Sorry my mistake hers is 6 digits and a letter.

Can I get a response from any FFL's. If I submit this number that may be wrong and I am denied what will happen? do I lose my right to purchase? Can I appeal? How long will the appeal take. Is there any way to tell if my FID number is valid without running an NICS?

Forgot this last night but when I contacted my towns PD they said 4 digits and one letter is what the state sent them but they will double check and let me know. I hope to hear from them today.

I look at SBI numbers everyday at work (arrest related, not FID, but they're the same). New #s are always 6 digits and a letter and that's what yours should be. i think I may have seen shorter #s (5 digits plus letter) on SBIs issued in the 70s, but maybe not. 4 digits, never. Somebody effed up.

Can I get a response from any FFL's. If I submit this number that may be wrong [it is wrong] and I am denied what will happen? [Don't bother trying. That # is invalid and you may end up waiting 20 days just to be told 'invalid number, try again'. I don't think there would be any negative legal repercussions, but this is NJ, so who knows. Again, best case scenario, you just waste a bunch of time.]

do I lose my right to purchase? [Highly unlikely, but one can never tell in this State] 

Can I appeal? How long will the appeal take. [Nothing really to appeal. The NJSP screwed up and left 2 digits off. The person typing up your card and P2Ps just copied that #. They need to contact NJSP, get the right # and issue you a new card & permits. It should take no more than a few minutes, but, again this being NJ, they may make you wait until "the person who handles that" is in or something.] 

Is there any way to tell if my FID number is valid without running an NICS? [see my post above: def. not valid.]

Forgot this last night but when I contacted my towns PD they said 4 digits and one letter is what the state sent them but they will double check and let me know. I hope to hear from them today. [if you don't hear back from your PD today, contact the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit directly: http://www.njsp.org/divorg/invest/firearms-invest-unit.html and tell them what's going on. That may speed things along.]

Just bring your FID & P2P back to your police station. It should not take the same amount of time to fix as it did to initially get it. Your FFL should have no problem holding your gun if you paid for it. See if they will use the current date on your permits when they re-issue so you do not loose valuable time waiting.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Like Alpo said I decided to contact the NJSP firearms investigation unit and they assured me that my number is indeed correct. I have the name of the person I spoke to and their extension. They told me if my dealer still had a problem with the card number to have them call the NJSP firearms investigation unit.

I just hope that I was given the correct answer.

Wow.

A- That's great. Means you'll be shooting sooner than later!

B- Weird. Maybe they're doing something new for FID #s.

C- Never take anything you read on an internet forum as gospel truth, even if the poster uses a bold, red font and acts like he knows everything there is to know about the subject. :icon_e_confused:

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Like Alpo said I decided to contact the NJSP firearms investigation unit and they assured me that my number is indeed correct. I have the name of the person I spoke to and their extension. They told me if my dealer still had a problem with the card number to have them call the NJSP firearms investigation unit.

I just hope that I was given the correct answer.

The problem being that when your FFL calls to check as they should, and no picks up the phone there.

C- Never take anything you read on an internet forum as gospel truth, even if the poster uses a bold, red font and acts like he knows everything there is to know about the subject. :icon_e_confused:

lol always good to see someone with a sense of humor good enough to break their own balls :laugh: +1

Wow.

A- That's great. Means you'll be shooting sooner than later!

B- Weird. Maybe they're doing something new for FID #s.

Thanks for the laughs and the opinion. The NICS is in so I'll know the verdict in 18-20 days.

Who gives a rats ass what the number is and how many digits. Mine is 6 digits one letter a hyphen followed by 4 more numbers... on my P2P's the 4 extra digits are not present, NEVER had an issue even when every retailer has asked about it, they just put it through cause whats the worst that's gonna happen....... While you would be waiting for your NICS to clear you could check up on the number, and if it came back as false you just have them call NICS and clear up the issue.

Heard from the PD today and the officer assured me that my number does indeed have only four digits and 1 letter. He contacted the NJSP just to be sure because even he thought it looked kind of funky.

Two kind of similar things happened to me. 

When I got my first purchase ID card last fall the format was too large to fit easily in my wallet. Wound up bending it. When I applied for my second purchase permits back in January the Sgt. who handles this in my town simply replaced the card for me. 

But...when I subsequently lost one of those permits (got thrown away with tax return junk) I was out of luck. No replacements. 

Update

My FID is indeed correct as my "Non Instant Criminal Search" came back and I was approved.

Now what to buy with my remaining permit?