So my friend is thing the knot this weekend up in Mt. Arlington and were going to shoot some rounds off I between the ceremony and the reception. I'm going to bring my Springfield .45. Is it ok for me to keep it locked in the hotel room over night?

I am not a lawyer.

I think it's ok.  Think of it as a short-term lease.  I don't think anybody would have a problem with you keeping a gun in a shore home and what is that but a long-term rental?  While you are in the hotel, that hotel is your residence, all be it temporary.

Ultimately it's up a to a judge to decide.

I am not a lawyer.

I think it's ok.  Think of it as a short-term lease.  I don't think anybody would have a problem with you keeping a gun in a shore home and what is that but a long-term rental?  While you are in the hotel, that hotel is your residence, all be it temporary.

Ultimately it's up a to a judge to decide.

AND THAT is the problem with the stinking laws in NJ.  It should not be up to a judge to decide.  The laws should be clearly written so that the majority of us educated people can be fairly certain as to what they mean and not have to risk a visit to a judge to find out if what we want to do is legal or not.

Hotel room security is a joke.

Even the in-room safe can be opened by hotel workers.

Not without leaving a trail, mind you, but what will you do when you return to your room and find your pistol gone??

Leave it home or take it with you (secured in your trunk)

Thank you all for your input. I ended up leaving it at home. I thought about all the mentioned possibilities and decided to just leave it at home. Being a new FID owner (14 months) I'm still very mindful of the law and any little possibility of breaking them. I ended up doing a bachelor party part II at the range and spent the extra cash to just rent.

I agree with McBethr.  Allowed in your home and a leased or rented room is your home at the time.

As for security, bring a nanovault and security cable to secure it to something in the room.

Didn't work for Revell. 

I'm a hotel General Manager. In NJ, the laws are gray when it comes to actual residency in a hotel. Some say on the 91st day, you are an actual resident but NJ dept of taxation and finance says its only for tax exemption and not domain status. Some liberal attorneys say otherwise and state after 90 days,when you become a full resident and stop paying, we need to go through an eviction process with the courts, same as an apartment. So then it would actually be your own domain and you could do what you want.

Bottom line is its very tricky and NJ needs to come up with a straight answer on this. I know my local PD would not like the fact that you have a firearm in my hotel.

I agree with McBethr.  Allowed in your home and a leased or rented room is your home at the time.

As for security, bring a nanovault and security cable to secure it to something in the room.

Even if that were true, which I doubt, then you could only bring it there from the place of purchase or while moving. You can't transport handguns between your various properties or homes in NJ.

Even if that were true, which I doubt, then you could only bring it there from the place of purchase or while moving. You can't transport handguns between your various properties or homes in NJ.

Why is that? Can you point out the statute which says that?

Why is that? Can you point out the statute which says that?

Point out the one that says you can. Firearms possession is illegal by default in NJ, especially handgun possession.

When you point out the statute that provides your exceptions you will find they are what I have said.

Point out the one that says you can. Firearms possession is illegal by default in NJ, especially handgun possession.

When you point out the statute that provides your exceptions you will find they are what I have said.

2C:39-6 d. (5)(e):

e.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

I know you will say, "but you're not moving"

But in fact you are, when you go from one residence to another, because you can't live in two places at once. 

2C:39-6 d. (5)(e):

e.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

I know you will say, "but you're not moving"

But in fact you are, when you go from one residence to another, because you can't live in two places at once. 

Moving mean moving.  You know, with your stuff packed up with intentions of a new residence.  See Aitken.