My wife is going back home to Albania for a 6 week visit. Her cousin has a midlevel govt job. He has "found" 3 SKS' s that he is willing to let her have as part of a debt that he owes her. Is there any way within reason that I can have them imported here or am I just dreaming?

You would need to find a licensed importer, per the BATFE:

A holder of a Type 08 or Type 11 FFL and AECA registration. A licensed importer may obtain an approved ATF F 5330.3A (Form 6, Part I) import permit to import sporting firearms, sporting ammunition, surplus military rifles and shotgun, and surplus military curio or relic handguns that meet the sporting criteria for on ATF Form 4590, for commercial purposes. Firearms imported by a licensed importer must be marked in accordance with the provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 923(i) and 27 CFR § 478.92

Alternatively, you can have a Type 01 FFL (IE Gunsmith, Pawnshop, etc.) import it:

A holder of a Type 01, Type 02, or Type 07 FFL respectively. A licensed dealer, pawnbroker or firearms manufacturer may occasionally obtain an approved ATF F 6 (Part I) import permit to import firearms and ammunition for his or her own use, for repair, or as the import agent for a specific customer. A licensed dealer, pawnbroker or firearms manufacturer may not import firearms or ammunition for resale or other commercial purposes. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(1)(A).

Importing them isn't a problem, it's finding a Type 01, Type 02, Type 07, Type 8 or Type 11 that is willing to do this for you.

I've been looking at doing the same thing with .303 Enfield rifles but need to find a BATFE licenscee willing to do this...

Or you can sell them here as parts kits less receiver... Without having to deal with an FFL.

Also, I'm cutting in line and jumping in front of BLF. He probably has 50 SKS' already

Or you can sell them here as parts kits less receiver... Without having to deal with an FFL.

Also, I'm cutting in line and jumping in front of BLF. He probably has 50 SKS' already

302, tell me a little more about that idea. I'm finding that some of the fees from FFL's might be more than I can handle

Nope..only 2. A norinco and a yugo. I need a Russian and an Albanian

You might want to look into that a little further........... I believe there are regulations on importing certain gun parts as well (barrels, triggers, sears, hammers, etc.)

Well, I am unfamiliar with the regulations on importing firearms parts, but your wife should be able to mail you a complete SKS sans receiver. I know I can mail a complete gun across country that way to whomever.

Perhaps even on checked luggage. Again, I don't know exactly how things work but only the serialized part is considered a firearm per the ATF.

I'd call an 01 FFL and see what they can do. Another problem is... Getting it out of Albania. That I don't know anything about.

Also, Blue Line Fish, you're a nice guy but I have nothing in x39.

The first issue as was brought up is getting the guns out of Albania. How your relative "found" these guns can also raise some issues including your wife and her cousin winding up in an Albanian prison.

If the guns are legally owned by your relative I think the hassle and expense of getting these guns over here may make them the most expensive SKSs in the world.

302, tell me a little more about that idea. I'm finding that some of the fees from FFL's might be more than I can handle

Basically you just run a plasma cutter through the receiver.  And remove the trigger assembly, etc. for good measure. <shrug>

But where do you buy SKS receivers?  I don't think NoDak makes one(?)  Maybe weld it back (and add material) yourself?  Or replicate a stamped receiver with sheet metal?

Basically you just run a plasma cutter through the receiver.  And remove the trigger assembly, etc. for good measure. <shrug>

But where do you buy SKS receivers?  I don't think NoDak makes one(?)  Maybe weld it back (and add material) yourself?  Or replicate a stamped receiver with sheet metal?

WTF?

Your best bet is to keep them there or sell them there.

You need an importer, an FFL and ATF approval. Then there is the legality of your wife acquiring the gun in Albania.

The guns total are $1k... It will cost you that much to get them here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is why he wants them

The Albanian SKS is now the rarest of all "imported" varieties of SKS found in the world, outside of the North Korean, East German, and Vietnamese models that were war "bring backs", with very few in existence.

Estimated production of Albanians over the years is shown in this chart, with figures gathered and put together by Glen Burton:

1967- 980
1968- 570
1969- 2800
1970- 2980
1971- 2620
1976- 160
1977- 660
1978- 4960
1979- 800
Undated- 420

Each rifle can sell for a minimium of $700

lol, this whole thing is a little more than i bargained for and the thought of my wife getting jammed up over there leads me to just forget the whole idea. oh well, seemed like a great way to get 3 SKS's but now i'm not liking the whole plan.

Thanks everyone for the input and help

I'd still have her disassemble the entire gun, and mail everything here except the barreled receiver. You can probably buy a junked receiver somewhere. I found a link on guns America where a barreled receiver sold for $50. They're out there.

I'd still have her disassemble the entire gun, and mail everything here except the barreled receiver. You can probably buy a junked receiver somewhere. I found a link on guns America where a barreled receiver sold for $50. They're out there.

Then the whole collectabilty and value of one of the rarest sks firearms is totally put in the crapper.