ClangClang

Buying long gun in NY. Where does it SAY that it's legal?

I was chatting to a buddy of mine who works in the firearms bureau for one of the Bergen County PD's.  He is under the impression that buying a long gun from an FFL in NY state is illegal.  Everyone here on NJGF seems to say the opposite.  I'd like to forward him the relevant statute/ruling/AG clarification letter.

Can someone point me to where it says that NJ residents can buy long guns from an FFL in NY State?

It's Federal law...  From the ATF's FAQ:

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

As long as the rifle or shotgun is legal in NJ(not an assault rifle). 

which by the above quote, would mean that if i live part time in philly, and part time in pfrnj, then i can legally purchase rifles there, or here, and as long as they're within both states laws, i'm ok?

Yes you can buy long guns in PA.  If you plan to bring them to NJ they must be complaint to NJ's gun laws. 

As long as you have a valid Firearms ID (yes they WILL ask for it) and matching drivers license you should be good to go. I just bought a shotgun in NY last month.

Not always. They are supposed to. I bought guns in Florida, PA, and Maine and they did not ask for fid until I pointed it out to them. They are also supposed to do a certificate of eligibility.

Just a point of clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was chatting to a buddy of mine who works in the firearms bureau for one of the Bergen County PD's.  He is under the impression that buying a long gun from an FFL in NY state is illegal.  Everyone here on NJGF seems to say the opposite.  I'd like to forward him the relevant statute/ruling/AG clarification letter.

Can someone point me to where it says that NJ residents can buy long guns from an FFL in NY State?

What you need to ask him is where he saw a statute saying it was illegal, he's not going to give you one because there isn't one. It's legal because there is no law prohibiting you from buy in NY.

Remember, laws are to tell you what you can't do........ Not what you can do.

Remember, laws are to tell you what you can't do........ Not what you can do.

Ha, tell that to NJ's gun laws, where everything is illegal unless falling under specific exceptions.

Not always. They are supposed to. I bought guns in Florida, PA, and Maine and they did not ask for fid until I pointed it out to them. They are also supposed to do a certificate of eligibility.

Just a point of clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maks - I always knew we could buy long guns in PA, NY, etc.  I suppose I thought we were limited to contiguous states only which is obviously false.  Good to hear otherwise.  As a point of information, FFLs in Maryland (at least, Atalntic Firearms in Rockville MD, to be specific) will only sell to residents of contiguous states.