Shawnmoore81

Drill press

I'm trying to set my garage up with basic gun smithing tool. My father law has a full shop but I'm tired of going over there for basic shop tools. He has a giant floor model drill press. So you guys think this is enough for things like drilling brakes. They are probably the hardest thing I'll drill.

3.2 amp motor

LaserX2 2 Beam Laser System

Depth Adjustment System

Variable Speed - 570 - 3,050 RPM

0-45 degrees left and right tilting work surface

Posted Image

I have essentially the same drill press.  It looks identical but is branded differently from Ryobi.  I used it a lot during my house renovation.  I drilled somewhere north of 2000 holes building complicated railings.   It never missed a beat, never slipped, etc.  It's not very precise, but you really need a quality drilling milling machine if you want precise.

I have essentially the same drill press.  It looks identical but is branded differently from Ryobi.  I used it a lot during my house renovation.  I drilled somewhere north of 2000 holes building complicated railings.   It never missed a beat, never slipped, etc.  It's not very precise, but you really need a quality drilling milling machine if you want precise.

I have the ryobi version. Works fine. Have done several brakes with it. That some form of welder, and a dremel will get you where you can make brakes permanent. 

A drill press is... well.. a drill press. It has its place as a basic tool. It is not well suited for most things I would do from a gunsmithing perspective unless wecsog style gunsmithing is good enough for you.

What is wecsog?

I put my drill press to use recently on a kit build and was really glad I had that option over a hand drill. What other tool would you recommend is better-suited for drilling barrels?

I put my drill press to use recently on a kit build and was really glad I had that option over a hand drill. What other tool would you recommend is better-suited for drilling barrels?

You drilled a barrel on a drill press? I would think you'd need a lathe

That's real tempting. Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying to convince myself those tools would never be worth it for my home hobby level.

When my father closed his machine shop I was real tempted to take one of the big Bridgport Milling machines, and the Large Lathe and a bunch of other really cool things I would have used a bunch of times, but for the space needed and add in 3 Phase power was needed, I talked myself out of it and I think the wife is happier because of it being It would have taken up the side of the garage she gets to park her convertible in. ;)