BrianN

New Background Check Every 6 Months?

I'm applying for my first pistol permits tomorrow. I have my FID for a couple of years and according to the info my town has available it says I will need to pay an $18 fee for a background check on top of the $2 per permit if I haven't had a background in the past 6 months.  Is this part of the NJSP procedure or is this a town thing?  If anyone has any experience with P2P in Nutley, I'd love to hear it. Here's the link for the nutley info from the town website 

http://cdn.gov-i.com/clients/28c24ab0/files/000/025/456/original/0cafbe42de41f0ffb0801a6bde9657ca.pdf?1365082817

There are some towns that wil require the $18.00 fee everytime. I am pretty sure the background check occurs everytime. Some towns just won't charge you if you had a check done recently.

You also mention that it has been a couple of year since you got your FID, which would have been the last time that they did a full (mental health)  backround search. In this case I would just pay the $18.00.

The $18 fee is actually for your mental health check.

Everyone is require to have it done.

The nutley info says the $18 fee is for, "a Request for Criminal History Record Information for a Non-Criminal Purpose."

I'm only asking because you can't pay with cash or a check, you need to use a money order.  Didn't want to waste $18 if i didn't have to, but wanted to make sure I have all my ducks in a row when I hand in my paperwork.

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'm headed off to Western Union!

Just another case where the State screws over gun owners.  They let me pay my income taxes with a personal check, they let me pay my property taxes with a personal check, and I can get my driver's license also with a personal check.  So, why do I have to use a money order to get a gun permit?  Aren't money orders what criminals use when they don't want people to be able to track how they move money around?

The $18 fee is actually for your mental health check.

Everyone is require to have it done.

This is incorrect. There is no fee for the mental health check. The $18 is for the non-criminal background check (yellow form SP-212A). It is not statutorily required, but the police are tasked to do a thorough background check and most PD's in the state use the SP-212A to show that they have done their due diligence. Be glad because the CLEO could require that you get fingerprinted each time - there is noting in the statutes that prohibits that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It probably won't be long before gun owners in the PRNJ have to have a "parole officer" to report to on a scheduled basis to report any changes in medical conditions, traffic tickets or any other event to disqualify you from possessing a gun.

This is incorrect. There is no fee for the mental health check. The $18 is for the non-criminal background check (yellow form SP-212A). It is not statutorily required, but the police are tasked to do a thorough background check and most PD's in the state use the SP-212A to show that they have done their due diligence. Be glad because the CLEO could require that you get fingerprinted each time - there is noting in the statutes that prohibits that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob is absolutely correct. Lets not spread false info unless we are absolutely sure. There is no fee for mental health check.

The $18 is optional for the PD. since I see my pd officer regularly, and because financial services requirements include a ton of prints, unless it has been a long long time, my pd waives the $18. Typically, if it has been over a year since they last saw you....$18.