7-3-2

357 or 44 revolver what would you choose?

I've only shot about 15 rounds of 44 magnum but didn't enjoy it one bit! At the time I was thinking of buying a model 29. After that experience and given the high cost of ammo, I stuck with 38/357.

I've been shooting a .44 Magnum since I was 12 years old... and probably loaded Specials in it for the first time maybe two years back (one box, which I'll probably never do again... cost is similar, but I'm a fan of the Magnum). Never had an issue but the unburnt powder hitting my face.

I just find the .44 more accurate than the .357 I first started shooting (again, at 12; my father cut his hand open on the .44, and wanted to sell it). It was a 4" .357 compared to a 6" .44, but I never looked back.

I only looked at a .357 when I was interested in the Coonan. My J-frame is a no-lock .38 +P. No issue shooting my dad's LCR with .357s (trigger is very different than my S&W), but S&W didn't have a no-lock .357... and I really wasn't looking at used.

HEHE. yes... 41 magnum is hard to find locally, If you reload, not an issue. If you buy ammo online, not a problem.

41 Mag was a recommendation specifically for power in between 44 mag and 357. You also have a lot less revolvers in 41 mag.

As far as pythons.... fit and finish, especially blued, they are the nicest revolvers I have seen and shot.

Double Action is ok, single Action... sweet.

End of the day, for resale, for collectibles, Colt revolvers have a ton of history, and a strong , cult like following. You will NOT lose money on a colt. For a revolver that was $1k when it was new, you cannot build as quality of a revolver today, especially since Pythons were hand fitted.

If you want a great all around gun you will not be afraid to shoot... get a 686. Are you on a budget? Get a Ruger GP100.

A Colt Python, is still a Python., and due to the Python effect, many other colt revolvers are up there in price. If you run across one for a good price.... you get it.

Maks, I've been shooting for about 45 years and have handled, owned, or shot by fair share of Colts including Pythons.  I understand Colts have a cult following but I'm not overwhelmed by the smoke and mirrors.  Want a great SA?  You just need to stone the sear so it barely engages.  Not a good idea in my book but thats how Colt does it.  Handfitting? Maybe so but on a percentage basis I've seen more brand new junk Pythons come out of the factory than S&W Model 10s.  Collector value? I'll agree with you on that as there are no new ones and thats a perfect scenario to see how supply and demand works.

I still stand by my previous statement.

Ever handle a 70s or earlier S&W Model 27?

Maks, I've been shooting for about 45 years and have handled, owned, or shot by fair share of Colts including Pythons.  I understand Colts have a cult following but I'm not overwhelmed by the smoke and mirrors.  Want a great SA?  You just need to stone the sear so it barely engages.  Not a good idea in my book but thats how Colt does it.  Handfitting? Maybe so but on a percentage basis I've seen more brand new junk Pythons come out of the factory than S&W Model 10s.  Collector value? I'll agree with you on that as there are no new ones and thats a perfect scenario to see how supply and demand works.

I still stand by my previous statement.

Ever handle a 70s or earlier S&W Model 27?

Not sure, but I did handle some older Smith's and they are nice guns.  Really nice gun, and my Smith model 57 has a FANTASTIC trigger.  

At the same time, I just picked up a Diamondback that has as nice if not better.

Colts may not be superior per say, but... as a used gun, they are extremely collectible and will hold value far better.  EVEN if colt comes out with new revolvers.

When Colt came out  with the new Pythons, the price on the older ones went even higher.

Perhaps I should of made it clearer... colts for me, may not be the better gun in terms of shooting, but overall, as a collectible, eye candy, fit and finish, history, it is by far the better overall equation.

Put it this way, If you ran across two guns, say a Colt Python for $1,000 or a Smith 686 for $750.... it is an easy choice. =)

Btw, I still do have a 686-5 that will be my shooter, and I don't feel bad shooting it.  Colts are for collecting, and I just can't get enough.  Will post pics tomorrow. =)

Perfect solution. 41 magum.

357 python absolutely. ... but with current pricing, I would be afraid to shoot it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Awesomeness....I never knew of anyone but my father that swore by the .41 mag. 

His old model Ruger Blackhawk with handloads is N A S T Y. I actually won't shoot it. He's got his handloads past book max...and the damn thing will stand straight up in your hands no matter how hard you try to keep it down.

I've seen him take shots with his 6 1/2" barrel .41 mag that I wouldn't take with a .357 mag 1894 Marlin. His Blackhawk has put down more animals than I can count....turkeys at ~80 yards....chipmunks at ~60 yards...bears.....deer.....you name it, a .41 mag will dispatch of it.

Not sure, but I did handle some older Smith's and they are nice guns.  Really nice gun, and my Smith model 57 has a FANTASTIC trigger.  

At the same time, I just picked up a Diamondback that has as nice if not better.

Colts may not be superior per say, but... as a used gun, they are extremely collectible and will hold value far better.  EVEN if colt comes out with new revolvers.

When Colt came out  with the new Pythons, the price on the older ones went even higher.

Perhaps I should of made it clearer... colts for me, may not be the better gun in terms of shooting, but overall, as a collectible, eye candy, fit and finish, history, it is by far the better overall equation.

Put it this way, If you ran across two guns, say a Colt Python for $1,000 or a Smith 686 for $750.... it is an easy choice. =)

Btw, I still do have a 686-5 that will be my shooter, and I don't feel bad shooting it.  Colts are for collecting, and I just can't get enough.  Will post pics tomorrow. =)

I agree with the eye candy and collectibility to some extent.

If I found a Python for $1000 of course I'd buy it.  I'd flip it and use the money to buy guns I really liked.  Before anyone says anything selling a gun for a profit occaisionally does not put you in a "business" category.

It all boils down to guns are like cars, women,.booze, or anything else to guys. We all have our tastes.

Awesomeness....I never knew of anyone but my father that swore by the .41 mag. 

His old model Ruger Blackhawk with handloads is N A S T Y. I actually won't shoot it. He's got his handloads past book max...and the damn thing will stand straight up in your hands no matter how hard you try to keep it down.

I've seen him take shots with his 6 1/2" barrel .41 mag that I wouldn't take with a .357 mag 1894 Marlin. His Blackhawk has put down more animals than I can count....turkeys at ~80 yards....chipmunks at ~60 yards...bears.....deer.....you name it, a .41 mag will dispatch of it.

I'll reserve comment regarding your father's handloads but I never said a 41 magnum is not an efficient round.  Anything you hit with a full 41 magnum load will swear it was hit with a 44.  I'll bet your father can shoot just as well with a good 357 or 44.

Okay I still keep bouncing back and forth on this issue. How expensive are 44 special under normal market conditions?

I would imagine that if some was shooting a revolver loaded with spl rounds that the 44 would have advantages over 38 for home defense just from the size of the projectile alone.

So what about HD applications? Would 44 be overpowered and cause overpenetration problems or would 38 be the better option? 

I'll reserve comment regarding your father's handloads but I never said a 41 magnum is not an efficient round.  Anything you hit with a full 41 magnum load will swear it was hit with a 44.  I'll bet your father can shoot just as well with a good 357 or 44.

I believe they're only either 0.5 or 1 grain past max....but he finally figured out why the pressure signs are so high. He finally slugged the barrel and it came out at 0.409". Keep in mind "max loads" in reloading manuals are extremely conservative. 

My father's been handloading for decades. He knows what he's doing.

Okay I still keep bouncing back and forth on this issue. How expensive are 44 special under normal market conditions?

I would imagine that if some was shooting a revolver loaded with spl rounds that the 44 would have advantages over 38 for home defense just from the size of the projectile alone.

So what about HD applications? Would 44 be overpowered and cause overpenetration problems or would 38 be the better option?

I'd say the cheapest 44 spl was about twice as much as the cheapest 38s. No reason to believe this is going to change when ammo prices stabilize.

The advantage the 44 in SD use is the bullet is starting out with over 40% more frontal area than a 38. That 44 bullet is starting out at a diameter you hope the 38 winds up after expanding. The extra weight will help it plow through tissue and bone that might deflect a 38. I wouldn't consider an appropriate 44 spl load too powerful for HD.

While certainly not an exhaustive method to determine prices (cheaper deals can probably be found), gunbot will give you a nice range of current pricing. As of a couple of minutes ago (excluding remanufactured ammo):

38spcl- $0.36 or $18.00/box of 50
357mg- $0.52 or $26.00/box of 50
44spcl- $0.50 or $25.00/box of 50
44mag- $0.57 or $28.50/box of 50

While certainly not an exhaustive method to determine prices (cheaper deals can probably be found), gunbot will give you a nice range of current pricing. As of a couple of minutes ago (excluding remanufactured ammo):

38spcl- $0.36 or $18.00/box of 50

357mg- $0.52 or $26.00/box of 50

44spcl- $0.50 or $25.00/box of 50

44mag- $0.57 or $28.50/box of 50

Your math is meaningless if you reload. IF you reload, the .44 is a very flexible platform. 

Your math is meaningless if you reload. IF you reload, the .44 is a very flexible platform.

Completely agree. I load 44mag in everything from .44spl power through max loads. You can also save a bunch by casting you own bullets.

Your math is meaningless if you reload.

Would the prices I quoted seem more meaningful to you if I told you I was responding to the OP's question: "How expensive are 44 special under normal market conditions?" and as a follow-up to GRIZ's post: "I'd say the cheapest 44 spl was about twice as much as the cheapest 38s. No reason to believe this is going to change when ammo prices stabilize.", since they were both clearly referring to commercially available, pre-loaded ammunition, not reloading components?

For what it's worth, I think we all agree that relaoding is both cheaper and gives you a much wider range of options within a caliber.