hiker88

Ever wonder what happens when you load a 40 in your 45 mag

Some many n00bs... we're going to have some NDs or kids finding and hurting self/others in the next few years.

Dan, cleanup in Post 6, Dan... Post 6.

Honestly, a lot of boneheaded moves are done by the "experienced" shooters as they do with new people.  Most new people I have met, are fairly careful.  It is once they learn enough, they get careless. 

This.... careless.

A while ago, I got myself into the habit of inspecting every round that goes into the gun.  This started when I started reloading, inspecting once fired brass that I bought again for any abnormalities. 

I can see confusing 9 for 40.... but 40 for 45?that is a double :facepalm: :facepalm:

I've seen shooters put their ammo in a plastic take out container or even a zip lock bag and load their mags from it like taking chips out of a bag. If they're not paying attention and a wrong ammo is mixed in, it can go to the mags without them knowing it. 

I tell folks to place their ammo (if they reload) in appropriate ammo containers (e.g. MTM) so that the can do an easy visual inspection.

I found a few shells that were fired in the same scenario like that while picking up my own brass (diff caliber) at the range. The expansion is comical when it holds together.

IMG_20110630_002519.jpg

Wow...that's an excessive belling. 

It's called "Fire Forming", and what it shows is how high a quality the brass is, NOT the barrel/chamber.

What's really scary is to have a shooter do a tap-rack-bang drill twice with NO BANG, then see .40 bullets come dripping out the muzzle of a .45!  And the 3rd round that got stroked into the chamber was a .45!

Can anybody say "BARREL OBSTRUCTION"?  Yeah--I SAW this while I was running a Line, and stopped the shooter from blowing-up his gun!

Dave

Some many n00bs... we're going to have some NDs or kids finding and hurting self/others in the next few years.

Not necessarily noobs, it can be misplaced or like the article said somebody could have picked it up from the ground and placed it on the table.

Dang

I've accidentally used 9mm mags on my .40 S&W barrel and vice versa (no FTL)

But never this

The mags are pretty much identical except for the markings.  Interesting sidenote, you can make Jackets for .40 bullets from 9mm brass, and jackets for .45's from .40 brass...you basically need a hydraulic press to do the swaging, but they actually make pretty nice bullets