WVisHome

Greetings from the free state of Delaware

I gotta agree with SOCOM here. Not the greatest set-up for your intended purpose. It needs to be closer and much more discrete. I often feel that this type of holster falls under the heading of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

There are a lot of negatives when considering off-body carry, but that is for another thread.

If you are set on the need for a "car holster" check the DeSantis Kingston Car Holster. It's the best design for a car holster out there IMO and the one I use when work necessitates this gear.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-HOLSTER-OR-ACCESSORY/OTHER-CONCEALMENT-HOLSTERS/Kingston-Car-Seat-Holster/Glock/26-27-33

e7a57471f7de5a0dd9bc4df8aee47cd5_zpsaebb

If it's between your legs, it's considered concealed. It has to be clearly visible by an officer if he approaches the window. That would be obstructed by the steering wheel and your leg.

I suppose you could do that on the passenger seat, but that would be extremely hard to reach. Besides...my intended purpose is to be lawful. I needed a more convenient place to put it in the car beside the seat.

I've done a lot of research on this....

Open carry in a vehicle in Delaware is lawful behavior -- the firearm must be in plain view. The unofficial direction we've obtained from the Attorney General's office is either to have your firearm on the passenger seat or on the dashboard. This can be problematic as sudden stops and sharp turns can cause your weapon to slide off the seat or, heaven forbid, out of your window.

It has been recommended to pick up a cheap "clip" holster so that you might be able to either holster your weapon in that and clip it to a fastened seatbelt in the passenger seat or affix heavy duty velcro (think EZ-Pass grade) to the dash and holster to keep it in place.

If it's loaded and anywhere in the passenger compartment that is not in plain view you would be considered in (at least) constructive possession of it and thus would be possessing a concealed deadly weapon w/o a permit.

Loaded OC in Delaware is legal, even in a vehicle. "Plain View" is the doctrine you must follow - so by putting it on the dash or on the passenger seat is the thing to do. When on your person the gun can easily be obstructed from plain view.

You can conceal with a CCDW. I just don't have mine yet.

I plan to start the process soon. The crazy thing is, you have to have 5 references that have lived in DE for 5 years, and have to put a public notice in the paper.

How is that "free"?

If it's between your legs, it's considered concealed. It has to be clearly visible by an officer if he approaches the window. That would be obstructed by the steering wheel and your leg.

I suppose you could do that on the passenger seat, but that would be extremely hard to reach. Besides...my intended purpose is to be lawful. I needed a more convenient place to put it in the car beside the seat.

I've done a lot of research on this....

Gotcha. If that's the case then I would forego that method of carry altogether until you get your CCW situation squared away so you can do it right. The restrictions you mention above make this method of carry less than optimal.

Just my $0.02

Gotcha. If that's the case then I would forego that method of carry altogether until you get your CCW situation squared away so you can do it right. The restrictions you mention above make this method of carry less than optimal.

Just my $0.02

You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm not worried about anyone getting to it before me while I'm in the car, and that's the only time it will be in that holster. Outside of the car it will be on my person.

I have taken a few classes, and taught a few as well, regarding gunfights in and around cars. A few thoughts.

With a threat at either the passenger or driver's side door how much of your body are you exposing to your threat as you stretch/reach for the pistol in the passenger side?

How much of that movement is telegraphed to your attacker?

Say a car-jacker approaches either side of your car. What are you going to do? Open yourself up to being killed or injured by attempting to draw from there and hoping you are faster, or follow the nice man's instructions and exit the vehicle leaving your gizmo in its nice holster by the glovebox?

Will you remember to grab it if you have to bail out of your car under stress?

Can your draw from that holster quickly while looking only at a potential threat? Or do you have to look at the gun, taking your eyes off the threat and losing situational awareness?

How much slower/faster are you grabbing that holster and engaging a threat than you are skinning it from your hip? Put it on the timer with some dry-fire and find out (Surefire makes a shot-timer for the iPhone that is free and is sensitive enought to pick up dry-fire clicks)

Where does it go in an accident?

Where do you put it with a passenger in the car?

Aren't you afraid someone will target your vehicle as "easy picking" for a firearm if they see an empty holster in a parked car?

Why don't you just leave it in your OC holster while driving? That may be a no-no, I am unfamiliar with DE firearm's law...

With the right holster and belt it isn't uncomfortable at all. I basically have to OC (duty belt/holster) as I drive a car for 12 hours a day with no issues.

If you are OCing anyway (which, as a guy who has to basically OC at work 12 hours a day, is a whole other can of worms - BUT I understand it and the benefits and detriments intimately and would OC if given no other opportunity) I can't think of any reasons to take the gun out of a perfectly serviceable and relatively comfortable holster and place it off-body.

If you can't react quickly to an immediate threat at danger close distances with your pistol because of your chosen carry method/holster placement, it may as well be in your trunk or at home.

Why don't you just leave it in your OC holster while driving? 

Because tucked between my hip and the seatbelt is not in "Plain View" of an officer approaching the driver's side window, and therefore illegal.

It's either:

A: Plain View (i.e. seat/dash)

B: Unloaded and secured outside of the passenger compartment (trunk)

C: Don't have it at all.

I chose A.

Roger.

I understand you are working within certain constraints but can you mount it closer to you in the driver's seat?

That setup just screams "FREE GUN" to me. All someone needs to do is get close enough to make reaching for it a losing proposition for you an order you out of the car.

Only other "plain view" spot would be right by the driver's side window (weak hand, much easier for a potential grabber). My car is small. Anywhere on my strong side by my seat would be obstructed by the steering wheel/column or my legs.

Not anywhere to put it in the center console either. Between dash controls, shifter and cup holders...no room.

Only other place would be on top of the steering column, but that obstructs my view of the gauges.

I have taken a few classes, and taught a few as well, regarding gunfights in and around cars. A few thoughts.

With a threat at either the passenger or driver's side door how much of your body are you exposing to your threat as you stretch/reach for the pistol in the passenger side?

Say a car-jacker approaches either side of your car. What are you going to do? Open yourself up to being killed or injured by attempting to draw from there and hoping you are faster, or follow the nice man's instructions and exit the vehicle leaving your gizmo in its nice holster by the glovebox?

Can your draw from that holster quickly while looking only at a potential threat? Or do you have to look at the gun, taking your eyes off the threat and losing situational awareness?

How much slower/faster are you grabbing that holster and engaging a threat than you are skinning it from your hip? Put it on the timer with some dry-fire and find out (Surefire makes a shot-timer for the iPhone that is free and is sensitive enought to pick up dry-fire clicks)

Aren't you afraid someone will target your vehicle as "easy picking" for a firearm if they see an empty holster in a parked car?

Why don't you just leave it in your OC holster while driving? That may be a no-no, I am unfamiliar with DE firearm's law...

With the right holster and belt it isn't uncomfortable at all. I basically have to OC (duty belt/holster) as I drive a car for 12 hours a day with no issues.

If you are OCing anyway (which, as a guy who has to basically OC at work 12 hours a day, is a whole other can of worms - BUT I understand it and the benefits and detriments intimately and would OC if given no other opportunity) I can't think of any reasons to take the gun out of a perfectly serviceable and relatively comfortable holster and place it off-body.

If you can't react quickly to an immediate threat at danger close distances with your pistol because of your chosen carry method/holster placement, it may as well be in your trunk or at home.

Ah to be burdened with having to even think of those things must be nice.

I suppose I'm exposing more than if I didn't have a gun to defend myself with.

More than if I didn't have a gun at all I suppose.

I open myself up to being killed or injured vs. not fighting back.

Well, I've never had to do that before in my 14 years of driving so far....but with it being right there I'm fairly certain I'd think to grab it.

I'll need to practice, but it comes out fairly easily...and if not the entire holster would tear away from the car.

Will never grab from my hip due to laws.

Where would one in the trunk (or seat or dash) go in an accident?

Either not carry or leave it where it is. Muzzle is pointed away from passenger and shouldn't be in the way.

When parked I take the holster off and throw it in the glove box.

Already answered this one

I actually leave my Serpa holster on while driving, and no, it's not uncomfortable and I would leave the gun in it if I could.

Already answered this one....hip holster is not "plain view".

I'll take my chances having it than not.