nitrospaz9

Stripped screw.

Depending on how much of the hex head is left you might try a small hammer and punch with a fine/sharp point.  Tap the punch perpendicular into the edge of the fastener head a few times to make a divot, and then lower the angle of the  punch while tapping to apply force counter-clockwise on the fastener to loosen it.  Use as low an angle as possible without slipping out of the divot.

Have used that technique before on seized/stripped phillips head screws, but not on an allen head.

If you can dremmel a slot into the screw head you can just use a screwdriver.

I just broke a screwhead off in my 1911 and ended up mangling the bushing. You DO NOT want to screw around with changing the bushing if you don't have to. Strip the frame and you have a paper weight.

I bought myself some slotted screws to avoid your situation

I believe I can do the Dremel technique. I ordered more hex heads because I wanted to keep the screws somewhat stock. I was contemplating the flat heads screws too. Oh well hopefully this doesn't happen again

I dont know what kind of grips you have but I hope you either dont like them or have a surgeons hands haha.  Good luck 

If the hex head is in a 1911 grip panel.....you cannot get a dreml in there to cut a notch.....

Also if you manage to strip the screw bushing in the frame, not the end of the world.....BUT DONT DO THAT.....

How would you fix that?  You can re tap it?

Depends...sometimes yes.....sometimes no......

Hopefully if it does strip out it is ONLY the bushing piece...rule of thumb...work on the cheaper easier replaceable part.

If the frame you can HOPEFULLY re thread it for a new bushing to be set in.....

Or if it is the frame...you go the next size up.....

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/taps-dies/taps/1911-auto-oversized-stock-bushings-tap-prod621.aspx

:)

BTW DAMHIK  ;)

Never seen those bushings.  Thats good to know.   Thankfully my new bushing went in peacefully.  Threw some locktite and I'm not screwing with that again. 

Don't be that guy......

the only way to do it and do it right.

These are nice when they work but if you snap the extractor off in a blind hole your going to need a end mill or some serious drill bits to drill it out. If it is a through hole you can punch it through and shatter it. If you round a head on a allen buttonhead bolt you can usually use a punch larger than the hole to force material back in the hole to take up the space to tighten it. Best bet is to use an allen socket as it will need to be tapped in. Best advice is to use good quailty allens because a slightly worn one can cause a headache.

I keep a set of left hand twist bits just for this.  In fact, I order them 6 at a time in each size.  For small screws,  drilling a hole in the screw head with a left hand twist bit will often grab the screw and back it out.  If it doesn't work, an eazy-out in the hole I just drilled probably will work.  I've used the grabbit tools and they work but the cost is high and they only seem to last a few uses before they don't bite well anymore.

Easy-outs - inventor must have been one sarcastic bastard, probably from NJ to name something so onerous an "easy-out".

There are not enough curse words in the language to describe my hatred for broken/stripped bolts and screws.

I know what you mean, I think that was only 1 of his inventions, I think he also owned the company that makes EDM's lol