Dargo72

First Hangun Advice

Stop the Presses!

I went to my local gun shop (Rayco Armory - Merchantville) with the intention of just talking about pistols/revolvers and maybe handling a few.

Well, long story short, they had a lovely GP100 with the "Davidson Exclusive" 5" heavy barrel.  I held it, asked questions, dry fired, and...........  OK I bought it!

It just felt so nice and balanced.  The SA/DA trigger pulls felt just right.

Now I just have to get ammo and get to practicing (after thoroughly reading the manual of course and getting comfortable with the gun).

It really is beautiful in person and feels like quality.

Pictures to come......

Great choice and congrats. The 5" inch barrel is the sweet spot for .357 revolvers and you will get some awesome accuracy with practice. Ammo for this baby is pretty easy to come by and lots of options and versatility.  I would start off with .38 special (wadcutters if you can find em)  and get a good feel for the gun before using the hot stuff. I am jealous because I just got a Colt .357 a few weeks ago but have not taken possession yet because of OGAM. Should be able to pick her up on July 1st. 

Have fun and be safe. 

While there are wrong answers to this question (though not in this thread, so far), there is more than one right answer--as we're seeing.

My answer for what is best for someone new to handguns is a three-gun progression (in order, but keep all three--don't trade one in for the next).  I realize this is answering a question that is not exactly what you asked, but here goes:

First, a quality .22 semiautomatic.   Someday .22LR will again be easier to find and afford, and this will encourage more practice time.  Also, the .22 doesn't cause or mask bad habits in a new shooter the way a centerfire round will.   And get adjustable sights, certainly here and on the revolver, but my own preference is to have adjustable sights on all three guns.

Second, a quality .357 revolver.  It will allow stepping up to centerfire power gently, with 38 special loads, while still allowing for some very powerful loads at the top of the .357 range.

Third, a quality 1911-pattern .45 ACP, though I realize there is plenty of room for discussion here on both the platform and the caliber.

Those three guns will span a tremendous range of capabilities, and none are likely to sit unused in the safe.

Find someone competent to coach you (shooters are usually very happy to help a noobie), and make sure you get good gun safety practices hardwired.  Then focus on precision slow fire on paper targets until you have a firm grasp of the basics of grip, sight alignment, and trigger squeeze.  Then you can spend your time blasting away at whatever kind of shooting makes you happy.

Oh--and if you want to progress as a marksman, I strongly recommend competition of some kind.  It can be local, it can be low key, it will almost certainly be fun...but most of all, nothing makes you improve as quickly as the knowledge that someone is watching and keeping score.

with all due respect... I have no idea what you get out of a 1911... there is NO question they are nice guns...but doesn't it end there?

take your typical 1911... how much will that run you? a thousand? maybe more? for a gun with a relatively low capacity...

take your typical Glock... 

you could take that same thousand dollars... get a glock in 40S&W... with a 9mm conversion... and still have some money left to spend...

you are left with far more versatility... AND higher magazine capacity.. 

now there is no question that the fit.. and feel.. of a high end 1911 will blow away a glock.. but at the end of the day at self defense distances I can put round after round after round in the Q with a Glock... and in regards to self defense all that is needed out of  a pistol is center mass hits and reliability.. 

again not knocking you.... everyone likes different guns... but in the modern world of diverse light weight semi autos.. why would you ever recommend a 1911 for self defense.. 

Stop the Presses!

I went to my local gun shop (Rayco Armory - Merchantville) with the intention of just talking about pistols/revolvers and maybe handling a few.

Well, long story short, they had a lovely GP100 with the "Davidson Exclusive" 5" heavy barrel.  I held it, asked questions, dry fired, and...........  OK I bought it!

It just felt so nice and balanced.  The SA/DA trigger pulls felt just right.

Now I just have to get ammo and get to practicing (after thoroughly reading the manual of course and getting comfortable with the gun).

It really is beautiful in person and feels like quality.

Pictures to come......

Congrats on your purchase.  I too am new to gun ownership and went with a Ruger GP...though in .327.  Shot it for the first time yesterday at Heritage Guild and was very satisfied with it.  Enjoy it!

with all due respect... I have no idea what you get out of a 1911... there is NO question they are nice guns...but doesn't it end there?

take your typical 1911... how much will that run you? a thousand? maybe more? for a gun with a relatively low capacity...

take your typical Glock...

you could take that same thousand dollars... get a glock in 40S&W... with a 9mm conversion... and still have some money left to spend...

you are left with far more versatility... AND higher magazine capacity..

now there is no question that the fit.. and feel.. of a high end 1911 will blow away a glock.. but at the end of the day at self defense distances I can put round after round after round in the Q with a Glock... and in regards to self defense all that is needed out of a pistol is center mass hits and reliability..

again not knocking you.... everyone likes different guns... but in the modern world of diverse light weight semi autos.. why would you ever recommend a 1911 for self defense..

Yeah a Honda and a Shelby with both get ya to where you're going. But one does it with class and style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah a Honda and a Shelby with both get ya to where you're going. But one does it with class and style.

when talking about a gun used in self defense "style" is not really all that relevant.... when talking about a collector piece.. then sure...

for self defense I am going to want a reliable gun that has a decently high capacity... that is going to make a decent size wound....

thats what matters.. 

I'm not super into cars, but I'd say a Honda is more reliable and has lower maintenance costs than a Shelby.

Also, would you suggest a Shelby as a first car for a brand new driver?

1911s are NOT for the casual shooter, despite what you may read here or on other boards. For starters, a 1911 is going to cost you good money to have one that you can trust your life to. Sorry if this ruffles any feathers, but it is a fact. A trustworthy 1911 requires top quality components, and each part has to be hand fitted. This translates into more money from the end user, unfortunately. And after that, you need to be aware of each part in the 1911, and how to check for proper fit and function.

These should be a must read before even considering a 1911...

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2011/06/08/read-this-before-you-buy-your-first-1911/

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3250

Btw, I'm not bashing the 1911. I love the platform, have a higher end one myself, and I shoot it better than almost any other pistol. But I primarily use a Glock today.

If it were about class and style maybe we should be using Colt SAA, nickel plated with gold inlays and ivory grips. 

A 1911 can be reliable.  However, I've seen documented tests where Glocks have gone well over 100,000 rds with zero malfunctions and no breakdowns.  If there were a 1911 that could do this I'm sure someone would have publicized it.  This and the fact I've been around hundreds of Glocks (probably over a thousand) for nearly 30 years and sold me on Glock reliability and durability.  I'm not talking "Joe at the gun  shop told me.." or "Bubba and Jim Bob down at the gravel pit..." stories.

When the "first gun" question comes up I always look at it as what will be able to cover all bases.That's in case it turns out to be the only gun.   The second consideration is what you can learn the most from mastering . My stock answer is a 4" 357.  If the person is insistent on a semi auto my answer is a Glock 19.  You're not going to learn a lot mastering the 19 but it certainly will cover most bases.  I don't care for a .40 and don't own one but that's another argument.

I own and sometimes carry 1911s sometimes but you have to face the fact it's 100 year old technology with a lot of updates vs the Glock as 30 year technology with few updates.  Using your Shelby/Honda analogy would you be relying on an updated Model T to get you there?

If it were about class and style maybe we should be using Colt SAA, nickel plated with gold inlays and ivory grips. 

A 1911 can be reliable.  However, I've seen documented tests where Glocks have gone well over 100,000 rds with zero malfunctions and no breakdowns.  If there were a 1911 that could do this I'm sure someone would have publicized it.  This and the fact I've been around hundreds of Glocks (probably over a thousand) for nearly 30 years and sold me on Glock reliability and durability.  I'm not talking "Joe at the gun  shop told me.." or "Bubba and Jim Bob down at the gravel pit..." stories.

When the "first gun" question comes up I always look at it as what will be able to cover all bases.That's in case it turns out to be the only gun.   The second consideration is what you can learn the most from mastering . My stock answer is a 4" 357.  If the person is insistent on a semi auto my answer is a Glock 19.  You're not going to learn a lot mastering the 19 but it certainly will cover most bases.  I don't care for a .40 and don't own one but that's another argument.

I own and sometimes carry 1911s sometimes but you have to face the fact it's 100 year old technology with a lot of updates vs the Glock as 30 year technology with few updates.  Using your Shelby/Honda analogy would you be relying on an updated Model T to get you there?

if anyone is EVER unsure about just how real Glock is.. they need to see this.. 

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

that does not mean a Glock is for everyone... but they are amazing at the very least... works every time no matter what... extremely reliable.. and can pretty much handle ANYTHING...

if anyone is EVER unsure about just how real Glock is.. they need to see this.. 

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

that does not mean a Glock is for everyone... but they are amazing at the very least... works every time no matter what... extremely reliable.. and can pretty much handle ANYTHING...

This is just one of the many articles you can find touting Glock's reliability.  Don't you think if SIG, H&K, S&W, and the other manufacturers could match Glock in this aspect they'd be shouting about it too?  not saying those are bad guns but Glock's legenary reliability is..well...legendary.

Peter Kokalis did an article where he took a Glock 17 out of the box.  He submitted it to all kinds of abuse including leaving it underwater in the ocean for a year.  He never cleaned it.  A lot of the ammo he used was dirty steel case stuff.  He put 170,000 rds through it, no cleaning and no malfunctions.  That's hard to beat.

The same exact situation I was in not long ago.  And, the first I got was GP100, 4".  Yes, comfortable reliable, simple, etc.

The next was 9mm, Baby Desert Eagle, pretty much the same as CZ75.  Shoot a few hundred rounds with different ammo, not a single problem.