checko

Chest rigs

So what's the advantage of having a separate plate carrier when you can just attach a compatible chest rig to a low-profile armor carrier?

A good friend, who is much smarter than me, once told me that "The mission drives the gear train" ;)

If you have multiple weapon systems and more than one job/mission profile it may make sense to have one armor carrier and a few chest rigs set up for each that you can swap out. Something like the Mayflower R&C stuff woth the buckles on the armor for attaching a chest rig to. This gets expensive, carries a weight penalty, adds bulk, can be more uncomfortable and still may not be an ideal solution.

I prefer a PC with pouches mounted directly to it. Saves a bit of weight, pouches are where I want them, it is relatively comfortable. and it is a simple one piece system to get in and out of. For my requirements - it just works better.

FYI, shellback tactical banshee is currently $130.50 at LA police gear after coupon "labor13" for 13% off, ships free:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/shellback-banshee-rifle-platecarrier.html

Good looking Out!

I really like the US Palm PCs. Very simple and affordable. I have had hands on with a few - excellent construction in a minimalist package. The hard part is finding them in stock, especially the hard armor ones.

If I had a store, they would be on my short list of items to carry!

Keep us updated I need some hard plates!

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

We have a limited amount of US PALM stuff on the way to the store.  No hard plate's, sorry incognito.  The margins on the stuff are razor thin unless you place an extremely large (like a new 6 series Audi large) order so we are going to test the waters and see how it goes.  We will have some Defender vests in the store later this week.  

Any suggestions for horizontal mounted pistol holsters?  I have holsters for all my pistols but can't see a solid way to mount them to a PC.  I am setting this up for HD and in my head the ideal setup would be pistol holster up top (horizontal) pistol mag pouches underneath on support side with a tourniquet and med kit on the other side.  I currently use a pistol for HD and will continue to until I figure out if another setup is better for the house we are moving into shortly.

On an unrelated note I sleep in the buff, and though I have set an alarm to wake up and run clearing drills with my current setup I find the mental image of me running thru a house clearing rooms in a loaded PC with my balls swinging in the air somewhat funny.  It won't be funny if I have to use it and the perp aims low though :(  

Any suggestions for horizontal mounted pistol holsters? I have holsters for all my pistols but can't see a solid way to mount them to a PC. I am setting this up for HD and in my head the ideal setup would be pistol holster up top (horizontal) pistol mag pouches underneath on support side with a tourniquet and med kit on the other side. I currently use a pistol for HD and will continue to until I figure out if another setup is better for the house we are moving into shortly.

On an unrelated note I sleep in the buff, and though I have set an alarm to wake up and run clearing drills with my current setup I find the mental image of me running thru a house clearing rooms in a loaded PC with my balls swinging in the air somewhat funny. It won't be funny if I have to use it and the perp aims low though :(

Although somewhat disturbing, my gf says your post was eerily familiar lol

Got the Banshee PC in today.  Def made very well and is much more comfortable than the less expensive PC's we carry in the store (albeit at twice the price).  I did not realize that my plate's were slightly larger than what the Banshee was made for (my plates are 11x13 vs 10x12) but they still fit in with plenty of velcro room left on the bottom.  It is very easy on/off and would be easy to throw on in the dark.  I have yet to add all the pouches I need to it, but overall I am happy with this system.  

Can anyone tell me the proper height the PC should ride at?  High Exposure specifically since you are actually using your gear, how far below the collar bone should the plate be resting, and inversely how far under the neck should the back plate be?  

I've been fairly hesitant to buy a chest rig. It seems like its unlikely a civilian like myself would ever need one. With that said, it seems like getting one for the next level of classes I want to take, a rig would be a good idea.

Having just recently acquired an AR15 may I ask what classes you are taking that would require this?

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Having just recently acquired an AR15 may I ask what classes you are taking that would require this?

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most classes that teach more dynamic techniques than simply bench shooting require some type of magazine holder. While a chest rig may not be explicitly necessary and you could just use cargo pockets, it can be incredibly helpful. Gun For Hire, for example, has 3 levels of what they call "Urban Carbine" courses that a chest rig would be appropriate for.

Most classes that teach more dynamic techniques than simply bench shooting require some type of magazine holder. While a chest rig may not be explicitly necessary and you could just use cargo pockets, it can be incredibly helpful. Gun For Hire, for example, has 3 levels of what they call "Urban Carbine" courses that a chest rig would be appropriate for.

This. I completed 2 carbine courses with an ALICE belt and 6 mag drop leg mag carrier. I actually didn't mind the setup but the chest rig and belt will help me carry items more effectively. I've added a dump pouch, tactical style flashlight, med kit, better pistol mag pouches and the rifle mags are higher on my body for faster reloads.

If there is ever a situation where I think I'll need to defend my family, my gear is in one place, set up for quick use.

The plate carrier I got was one part safety, and one part I just like them.

I will be adding armor for them when I have the money so it will be my default shtf rig to give me a little protection.

Just to add, I think the med kit may be the single most important addition. While I've never felt unsafe at a class, you really never know when someone may go full retard and bury a round in someone accidentally. Having potential life saving equipment is important to me. I'm also looking for a quality trauma class to maximize this.

Just to add, I think the med kit may be the single most important addition. While I've never felt unsafe at a class, you really never know when someone may go full retard and bury a round in someone accidentally. Having potential life saving equipment is important to me. I'm also looking for a quality trauma class to maximize this.

Checko, I like this idea as well even for those of us with prior EMT training. I bet there are certain aspects to Acute "field care" that you just don't get from other conventional training. I'd love to take a class that includes a field trauma medic portion.

This thread reminds me that the IFAK portion of my carrier is grossly insufficient. 

also, that .pdf is indeed fantastic thanks for posting the graphic

Checko, I like this idea as well even for those of us with prior EMT training. I bet there are certain aspects to Acute "field care" that you just don't get from other conventional training. I'd love to take a class that includes a field trauma medic portion.

This thread reminds me that the IFAK portion of my carrier is grossly insufficient.

also, that .pdf is indeed fantastic thanks for posting the graphic

A member here pointed me in the right direction. Its just not a class offered very often. I will keep my eyes peeled

Got my first chance to test out my new gear. Very happy with what I'm using. Aside from couple adjustments on positions, everything worked well and no big "F*** this" moments. Big thanks to everyone who contributed so far. The TT X-harness was a great call and kept me very comfy, and glad I went with single cell mags up front. Prone was different but still very manageable.

Let's keep it going and see what else you guys got.