Gunnz

Easy to convert AR?

Let me start by saying I am a newb when it comes to ARs so don't mind my ignorance. (More of a pistol shooter)

Bought a smith and Wesson 15-22 last fall, fun to shoot, cheap to shoot. During the height of the Newtown craziness, I sold it for $200 more than I paid for it.

Now that prices are coming back to normal, I want to purchase it again or........

Maybe buy a real AR (5.56) and then buy a new upper to convert it to .22lr......

Is there any brand that makes complete ARs and 22 dedicated uppers?

Please advise. If any vendors can shoot me info and prices PM me!

The S&W M&P15-22 give you some features over one with a conversion kit.  Reliability is probably the main factor.  The S&W M&P15-22 provides you with features that are similar to a standard AR.  An important factor for me in getting a dedicated 22 lr upper is accuracy.  My AR has a 1:7 twist barrel.  It's great for sending heavy rounds accurately.  It's not great with 22 lr.  I was getting really poor groupings with .22lr rounds.  I suppose I could hit a man size target at 25 yards but that was not what I was looking for.

I've since built a Taccom .22lr upper which has a 1:16 twist that is more suited for .22lr.  I can hit almost the same hole at 25 yards now and am very happy with the results.  The only complaint is that the bolt hold does not work like a standard AR and the bolt holds open after the last round is fired only while the magazine is inserted.  Once the magazine is removed, the bolt releases.  I believe both work properly on the S&W M&P15-22.