Ivana Revolver

Ammo dealer photocopied my FID and DL....is that legal?

I bought some ammo recently at a shop. They photocopied my FID card and my driver's license. Is this legal? The range I shoot at never asks to see anything but my membership card.

They should be asking for it at your range assuming you are buying it for your own gun.  IF you are "buying" it for a rental gun then it is different and they don't need to ask for it.

a lot of online retailers want to have a digital or faxed copy of your FID as well.. 

This is true, especially since online dealers have no way to verify your age, so they use a copy of your DL.  I know FIDs have you age on them as well, but when I questioned several on line dealers they all wanted a separate document to verify age.

I use my own gun at the range. I have purchased 2 boxes and only fired 1 in the past.

I didn't argue or protest because this dealer I found was local, has a good rep on this forum, had several boxes or a hard to find caliber for sale, and was 40% cheaper than the range. It kept me from driving to PA.

I was simply curious because I thought this was a questionable practice. I appreciate the feedback guys. (Except for the intellectually challenged turd with the snide remarks).

Lets put this one to bed:

N.J.A.C. 13:54-3.14 Permanent record of receipt and disposition of firearms and

ammunition

(b) Every retail dealer of ammunition shall maintain a permanent record of ammunition
acquisition and disposition. The record of purchase or acquisition shall consist of invoices or
other commercial records, which shall be filed in an orderly manner separate from other
commercial records maintained. Such records shall show the name of the manufacturer, the type,
caliber or gauge, quantity of the ammunition acquired in the transaction, the date of each
acquisition and from whom received. The record of sale or disposition shall be maintained in a
bound form and shall contain the date of the transaction, name of manufacturer, caliber or gauge,
quantity of ammunition sold, name, address and date of birth of purchaser, and identification
used to establish the identity of purchaser. The dealer shall confirm the age of the purchaser of
rifle and shotgun ammunition to be at least 18, and handgun ammunition to be at least 21.
No record need be maintained for the sale or disposition of shotgun or rifle ammunition. However,
sales or other dispositions of ammunition intended for use in any other firearm and which may
be interchangeable between rifles and handguns, as well as hollow-nosed or dum-dum
ammunition, must be recorded. The records shall be maintained in chronological order by date of
acquisition and disposition and shall be kept at the location the business is being conducted.
 © The firearms and ammunition acquisition and disposition record as prescribed under this
section need not be required, provided the dealer maintains an updated Federal firearms and
ammunition record on firearms or ammunition purchased or acquired and sold as prescribed in
Title 26, Internal Revenue, Chapter 1 "Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition", and to the
extent that the information required by this section is included on such records. If not included,
then the Federal records are to be supplemented so as to include all information required by this
section.

So yes, they have to record ammunition purchases.  How they record them is up to them, remember what I marked in bold they have to prove as the records are available to the ATF or NJSP at any instant so they make a photo copy.  They are just covering their asses.  If you don't like it, make your own ammo.