laabci

Glock numbering madness ?

I have to admit I am not much of a Glock fan. For the longest time I've been saying I'd never own a Glock.

After recently shooting one it sparked my interest. I'm still a long way away from buying one (if ever) but I would like to understand what options are out there.

From my limited reading it seems the G17 was the first Glock pistol supposedly named after a 17-point requirement it was designed to meet.(it also happens to have a 17-round mag - go figure)

So a smaller, 15-round G17 would be - G15 G19 ???

Is a G34 twice as good as G17 ?

I'm not even talking about other caliber sizes.

Is there any reason to this madness ?

Disclaimer:

No, no - not trying to start another heated love/hate discussion. Just curious if anyone is aware of any logic behind it.

The original Glock - the G17 - was named after it's Patent Number. The G17 was Gaston Glock's 17th patent. The rest are named in order they were released. There are some models not released in the US hence some jumping of the model numbers (like the G25 and the G28 chambered in .380 ACP - not enough "points" to import into the US).

The G18 is fun the first couple of times you shot one on FA. Then, meh..... A LOT of ammo way to quickly and very hard to hit what you are aiming at after the first shot.

All in all, I would rather have a 17/35/17L then carry an 18. Standard 17 round mags are all but useless in the 18 on FA and carrying the 33 round mags in the gun makes it a wee bit hard to holster. Plus the 33 rounders are a bitch to carry as spares/reloads, especially concealed.

You can get a lot of Glock info from the book. Its a nice read and gives more than the glock story only.

http://www.glockthebook.com/

........feel free to PM me if you want to test a G21,G20 and G26

I just may take you up on that offer.

If gleninjersey survived a trip to the range with you maybe it won't be that bad  ;)

34 = competition 9mm

17 = duty 9mm

19 = the only pistol you will ever really need

Just sayin...

It seems the 19 is the most popular one. I don't consider my hands to be large but when I tried it my pinky was almost completely off the grip. For me it would have to be 17 or 34.

Are you sure it was a 19 and not the 26? I've seen some ham hocks holding the 19 and they had all their fingers on there.

It seems the 19 is the most popular one. I don't consider my hands to be large but when I tried it my pinky was almost completely off the grip. For me it would have to be 17 or 34.

Found this today thought it might be helpful here

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HbyI229g_rM/TkXGoI0H2SI/AAAAAAAAAHU/ShKFuJu-Trw/s1600/glock_models.jpg

The picture won't embed but it breaks up the glocks by model number and style and caliber, pretty informative graph.