vmastro87

AR FTF everytime?

My AR was working perfectly fine. i noticed last weekend at the range that it seemed to be ejecting weak. And now this weekend its not feeding the next round. My assumption is that its gas related considering the weak ejection and my guess that the bolt is not coming back far enough. Has anyone else ever had this type of issue or know of where to look first? I have tested a bunch of different mags in it to rule that out, including ones that worked a week a ago. It will cycle snap caps no problem if you pull the charging handle manually. i have intent to take off the front gas block and clean it and check for obstructions, but of course i cant check it until i get back to the range.

PS it wont lock open on the last round either which is why i mainly think the bolt is not coming back far enough.

My AR was working perfectly fine. i noticed last weekend at the range that it seemed to be ejecting weak. And now this weekend its not feeding the next round. My assumption is that its gas related considering the weak ejection and my guess that the bolt is not coming back far enough. Has anyone else ever had this type of issue or know of where to look first? I have tested a bunch of different mags in it to rule that out, including ones that worked a week a ago. It will cycle snap caps no problem if you pull the charging handle manually. i have intent to take off the front gas block and clean it and check for obstructions, but of course i cant check it until i get back to the range.

PS it wont lock open on the last round either which is why i mainly think the bolt is not coming back far enough.

PM sent

oldskool sent me some things to try im going to give it a shot tonight see how i make out, thank you much ill let you know

What suggestions? Not sure why people respond to threads through PM when everyone in the forum could benefit from this information.

Just a quick note.

Simple way to check gas rings on the bolt. Take BCG out of rifle. Pull the bolt all the way out in the carrier. Stand BCG on tabletop with the bolt facing down. Does the bolt retract into the carrier under weight of the carrier alone? No, rings OK, Yes, replace rings.

Get brake cleaner. Hold upper with muzzle to ground. Spray brake clean down gas tube. Does it come out the muzzle?

Check carrier key. Loose? Missing or broken screws? Key clean? No Stuck primers or junk in key? Key mating properly with gas tube? Barrel nut tight? Alignment?

Check bolt for proper function of ejector and extractor parts. Especially springs.

Carrier clean? Lubed?

You stated it cycled OK with snap caps. Otherwise are buffer tube extension parts in place and functioning properly?

Weak Ammo?

Change any parts lately?

Ejection should be at 3 to 4 o'clock on the brass (Twelve is at muzzle, six is end of stock). Sooner or later suggests a possible problem.

Simple way to check gas rings on the bolt. Take BCG out of rifle. Pull the bolt all the way out in the carrier. Stand BCG on tabletop with the bolt facing down. Does the bolt retract into the carrier under weight of the carrier alone? No, rings OK, Yes, replace rings.
thats what was suggested

Get brake cleaner. Hold upper with muzzle to ground. Spray brake clean down gas tube. Does it come out the muzzle?
good idea
Check carrier key. Loose? Missing or broken screws? Key clean? No Stuck primers or junk in key? Key mating properly with gas tube? Barrel nut tight? Alignment?
Carrier key is good, and checked barrel nut and alignment
Check bolt for proper function of ejector and extractor parts. Especially springs.
checked
Carrier clean? Lubed?
checked
You stated it cycled OK with snap caps. Otherwise are buffer tube extension parts in place and functioning properly?
checked
Weak Ammo?
tried different ammo
Change any parts lately?
no
Ejection should be at 3 to 4 o'clock on the brass (Twelve is at muzzle, six is end of stock). Sooner or later suggests a possible problem. 
direction is correct there only going 4-6 inches though

Sounds like ejector problems.

Try the following:

Broken ejector?

Ejector stuck in bolt body?

Weak or broken ejector spring?

Brass shaving in ejector pocket?

If not then Short Stroking.

Then another checklist.

However most major items on short stroking list you have answered already.

They are gas block alignment, gas tube integrity, end of gas tube OK at carrier key.

Key clean and tight. Buffer tube extension parts clean and OK.

Good Luck!

I have never ever ever seen a broken or weak ejector - This is with dozens of ARs I am responsible for (as an armorer and head firearms instructor) with a heavy firing schedule over the last 10 years or so with tens of thousands of rounds and many shooters. Bolts generally fail, lugs shear off or they crack at the cam pin hole, way before the ejector goes tits-up.

This is a gas problem evidenced by the failure to lock back on the last round, the ejector would have nothing to do with that.

What make is the rifle/BCG?

Can you post pics of the BCG especially the carrier key screws?

How many rounds through the gun?

Have you done any preventative maintenance since you got the rifle?

Any gas leakage/discoloration around the gas block?

Any holes in the gas tube?

Have you tried a different BCG in the rifle?

This is a gas problem evidenced by the failure to lock back on the last round, the ejector would have nothing to do with that. 

i agree thats why  i added that, i also have checked all parts of the ejector.

What make is the rifle/BCG? 

its a mutt

Can you post pics of the BCG especially the carrier key screws?

yes i can when i get home
How many rounds through the gun? 

<500
Have you done any preventative maintenance since you got the rifle? 

yes
Any gas leakage/discoloration around the gas block? 

no but there is a lot of "blow back" around where the gas tube enters the upper receiver
Any holes in the gas tube?

havent checked yet
Have you tried a different BCG in the rifle? 

no but thats a good idea