Dan_G

Need to Prove to PA FFL a Type 53 is NJ Legal

Like the title says I need to prove to a PA FFL that a Type 53 Mosin is NJ legal. I found one I want to buy and they wont sell it to me because it has a bayonet. I tried tellign them that it doesnt apply to bolt action rifles and that it is two evil features anyway but they want proof. They said they recently got a letter from the state of NJ saying that bayonets, lugs, and flash hiders aren't NJ legal. They even said a Spingfield 1903a3 is illegal. One of my neighbors works at the shop and that didnt help.

Thanks.

The comma should be removed. Bayonet lugs are on the evil feature list of njs awb. Bolt actions need not conform to the evil feature restriction. Find your way to the nj gun law section and refer to vlad's sticky post of nj gun laws. The statute is spelled out there for your reference.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

I doubt that you are ever going to convince them. If you have a tablet or smart phone, I'd show them this site....

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag2.html

which is the NJSP site, but has links to the legislature site with the firearms laws.

It really isn't up to the selling FFL to determine whether the gun is compliant - that onus is on you before you bring it into NJ. For all the dealer knows the gun may be domiciled at a hunting cabin in PA. Moot point since it is NJ legal. Good luck, but I don't hold out much hope.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Its a $140 T53 so its not worth transferring. They let me clean the bore right there and its dark but sharp, good crown, and not counter bored. I was originally going to buy a $99+$20 shipping+$50 transfer one from JG but its cheaper and I know Im getting a good bore with this one.

I walked into the shop to ask what there transfer fee was and they happened to have one. My neighbor works there, he is the NJ law guy, very nice guy but misinformed. I asked to see the letter they got but they said they couldnt find it. They said to call them tomorrow and they will call NJ to see if its legal. 

When I spoke to the FFL he said he doesnt know NJ laws and when I explained them to him that is when he said he would call if I reminded them.

Who is the FFL? Nice to know so others here don't find themselves in the same jackpot.

I was under the impression that this dealer had the gun in stock and you were buying it from them - if that's the case what transfer are you talking about?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sorry I was a little confusing. I'll post the FFL name up here once this is over. If what they are saying is true this is NJ's fault and not theirs. Its one in the Lake Wallenpaupack region. 

The shop has a T53 in stock and I told them I want to buy it. They said since it had a bayonet it was illegal in NJ. I said that only applied to semis and it was a two feature test anyway. They said the paper they got didnt specify the action and that it said just having a bayonet made it illegal. 

The transfer I'm talking about is possibly seeing if they will send it to an FFL who knows the law and will do the transfer to me.

I originally walked into the shop to ask them about receiving a T53 from JG sale and the shop had one in stock so I didnt bother to ask.

I asked them to call NJ and got the run around. I'll see if I can get a hold of my neighbor after work to see if he will do anything. He said the FFl holder just didnt want to do it, it wasnt because of any letter from NJ.

I just called them.. here is the deal..

the guy I talked to.. was really nice...

the owners who I did not talk to... simply don't care to know the law... their stand is that the law changes too fast out of state.. so anything "military or tactical" is not allowed to be sold to out of state...

I felt like the person I spoke to was really reasonable... but I feel like the owners may just be scared/concerned....

really unfortunate they are not interested in understanding the law.. 

I tried..

Thats the same thing I got. When I spoke to the FFL holder he said that you dont use a bayonet for hunting so it isnt legal. They are nice people just not informed. They have a sign in the store stating any tactical rifle will only be sold to PA residents.

Know of a good quick FFL in north jersey to send a JG T53 to?

I ran into this mentality at an auction in PA once, the auction company would not sell ANY firearm to anyone who was not a PA resident, they said they would ship it an out of state FFL only. I asked the owner personally if this was correct since they had a lot of bolt action milsurps I was interested in, he said "no" he didn't want to "take the chance".

These people were king douches anyway, the owner pulled some Zeiss scopes out of the auction after threatening people to bid higher on the first one they auctioned off. When they didn't "enough" money for it, he pulled the other four they were going to sell. The thing that brings people to an auction is the hope to get something cheap, if everything goes out overpriced, you're not going back - stupid.

I ended up getting an SKS for a decent (but not overly cheap) price. These douches insisted on charging me PA sales tax even though the were making me ship it to a NJ FFL. When I protested, their response was "well you got it at a cheap price anyway".

I'll never go back there again - and since people want to know, the place was Kapp's auctions, so buyer beware.