Sign in to follow this  
danw77

What's a good price for shells these days?

OK, just picked up my first shotgun and I'm looking for ammo.  I hope to head out to a shotgun shootout in Clinton sometime soon, but I need to buy some ammo.  Can someone tell me what a good price for shells is? I'd like to buy a couple cases of birdshot, but also some buckshot and some slugs but I have no idea what a "good" price is these days.  If someone can give me a ballpark, or even provide some links to places that aren't gouging, that would be great.  Thanks!

Here's what I can tell you

Slugs- I shoot the hornady sst slugs. They are $15 a box at dicks but do go on sale for $10.

Bird shot- I shoot and carry lawman 12 gauge #8. I do $8 a box $70 a case. That $70 a case is very close to what I pay for it. But it's guys I shoot with so I don't care.

Buck shot- I shoot 3 1/2" supermag. That's expensive and probably over kill but I don't care.

For 2 3/4" 00 law enforcement load it comes in 25 round boxes and I put em up for like $20

I was just looking at cabelas website for some target loads.  Case of federal is like 69.99 and a case of herters is like 59.99.  10 boxes of 25

Just to be sure I understand, you're saying these are good prices? Since I've never bought before I don't have anything to compare to.

where  do you live? because buying local rather than mail order will save on shipping

target loads depending on brand will be from 60-75 dollars per case of 250 shells

currently the Heritage Guild in Easton has Remington for 59.99 a case

Dicks in Easton cheapest is around $70 a case

Just to be sure I understand, you're saying these are good prices? Since I've never bought before I don't have anything to compare to.

I'd buy at those prices.

where do you live? because buying local rather than mail order will save on shipping

target loads depending on brand will be from 60-75 dollars per case of 250 shells

currently the Heritage Guild in Easton has Remington for 59.99 a case

Dicks in Easton cheapest is around $70 a case

Tried 2 dicks (sporting goods) yesterday and they were completely out of target loads

I'm in western Essex Co.  There are no local places that I know of. The closet Dick's is E. Hanover but they don't sell guns/ammo.  Rockaway is the next closest, which is about 45 mins from me.  I was in Easton two weeks ago but didn't have my FID with me.

Ramsey Outdoor has 2+ stores - Ramsey and Succasunna - and tonight in Succasunna had Estate target load boxes for $6.99/25.  These days for locally sourced target loads, that seems to be a good price. 

I'm sure there are other gun shops by you that will have target loads...check the vendor links in the forums to find em...and I think there's a map of store locations somewhere...

edit: Randolph corrected to Succasunna

Edited by supertelephoto

Ehh...I'm surprised I didn't call it Ledgewood...Close enough... :p

Just like how I shoot shotguns..!

its cool just didn't want the guy to.be cursing when his GPS couldn't find the place in Randolph. Next time your there look at the post office in the same strip as Ramsay outdoor, last unit b4 you pull out onto commerce Blvd. Ramsey used to be in Ledgewood by the bowling alley on Rt. 46 so your not completely wrong either.:D

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I buy 22lr and 12 and 16 gauge frequently at Dick's in Easton. They do not ask for ID. Last time I was at the Dick's in Langhorne they did ask of FID and logged the purchase. This make PA gun owners pissed since it is because of Jerseys regulations not PA's rules.

its cool just didn't want the guy to.be cursing when his GPS couldn't find the place in Randolph. Next time your there look at the post office in the same strip as Ramsay outdoor, last unit b4 you pull out onto commerce Blvd. Ramsey used to be in Ledgewood by the bowling alley on Rt. 46 so your not completely wrong either. :D

Sent using Tapatalk 2

That's funny... I was passing through Ledgewood about two months ago with my son.  I asked him if he wanted to stop at a camping store I used to go to when I was a kid.  When we pulled in to where Ramsay's used to be, I was surprised to find it replaced by a big box store.  I figured they went out of business and we went on our way.  Good to know they are still around.

That's funny... I was passing through Ledgewood about two months ago with my son. I asked him if he wanted to stop at a camping store I used to go to when I was a kid. When we pulled in to where Ramsay's used to be, I was surprised to find it replaced by a big box store. I figured they went out of business and we went on our way. Good to know they are still around.

Yeah not far from where they were. About 2 min away over on Rt10 next to home depot, shop rite. The hunting and fishing section blows the old store away. I still think they're a little overpriced on some items but if you want it that day they have it. Except ammo of course.

Sent using Tapatalk 2