Old Dog

Cicadas - did they ever appear in numbers?

My family moved to Staten Island the year that the Cicadas were out in full force back in the early sixties. Two of my teenage cousins came over for a week because we lived two blocks from a beach and, being city girls, it was like a vacation spot for them. They left two days later after having to deal with Cicadas stuck to them every time they went out.

Did you ever get hit with Gypsy Moth caterpillars during the 80s? Talk about not being able to walk without stepping on stuff. And it wasn't exoskeletons, it was goo filled wiggly worms.

The gypsy moths were a few years later (early 80's), but they were brutal too. I remember my dad (and lots of others too) putting Vaseline strips around all the trees to stop the gypsy moths from getting up there to eat all the leaves. Trees in our neighborhood were practically bare from those fuckers. They would be hanging on web strands from trees, and it would freak us out when we walked into one by accident. The caterpillars were a lite green, then became awful brown and hairy. They made a very satisfying squish when you stomped on them. The guts would sometimes shoot out a few feet. I remember that well.

we have gypsy moths every year at my house..  not a huge infestation, but they attach themselves to the same tree every year..  luckily its just a tree thats amid a bunch of brush (and out of the way of any walking traffic), so no big deal, but still get them..