wooly bugger

Which .50 BMG to get?

Now that the antis have sparked off an interest in .50 BMG, I suspect we'll deliver their greatest terror and start buying them. Just as the 1994 AWB triggered an interest in just the thing they were trying to ban.

I notice that single shot bolt actions are a lot cheaper than the semi-autos. Are they more accurate? Is recoil significantly worse?

Any good brands other than Barrett? It's the kind of thing we may not be able to buy again in the future, so seems worthwhile to buy the best.

Looks like you can get a bolt action for $3-4k, which, while not cheap, is a lot better than the $10k I was expecting.

Serbu is a good quality built rifle. That being said they are more of

a no frills type of shooting platform.

Barrett's derive much of their heavy price tags from being a Govt. supplier.

If you sell your guns to the Govt. - they are gonna double the price (at least)

on the street.........

I owned a Serbu, and I also still own a BOHICA upper (and slightly modified lower).  Lower was modified with a heavier spring and hammer, and also one of those lead weights in the stock.

They are both OK, but I wouldn't buy anything but a Barrett at this point.  I will probably sell my BOHICA soon.

One guy blew up his BOHICA with bad reloads in CA.  There were pictures all over the forums of his blown up upper with blood on it, and it pretty much killed the BOHICA company.  As far as I know, there were no other problems ever.  The pictures included the hammer he was using to open and close the bolt...

-Dave

Considering the likely uses, I would recommend an AR-50. Straightforward, and accurate. The recoil is not what you would expect due to what I consider the best brake in the business.

I was lucky enough to scoop up an "employee" rifle at regular price. If you work there, and you want one, you can follow your rifle and help fit the action, barrel and bolt. The guy who committed to buy it was fired before he could take delivery, at least that's what Armalite told me. I bought it and its accuracy is amazing. At least at short range. (300 yds). She shoots truest with Hornady a-max factory loads. That machine gun surplus crap is just that...crap. If you intend to use "M" ammo get something other than a .50 Hopefully something for which you can afford the ammo. IMHO of course.

Unless of course it's XM1022. But that's another discussion altogether. As is hand loading. The press looks like a truck tire bead breaker. But I digress.

Also consider the optic and mounts. If you want range-line curb appeal it could cost you several thousand dollars, maybe more than the weapon. But you will,at the very minimum, need a top line first plane Leopold with a proper reticle, so ~2k. No matter what you hear, cheaper scopes will implode quickly under the nasty back and then forward Gs.

Walt

I forgot about the AR-50.  I think that's another good option.

I found that much factory ammo (especially Federal) was crap.  I either handload or use these great South African surplus rounds that Widener's had.  I bought a ton of it, and they also had the projectiles themselves and I bought two 500 bags of them.

I should sell my Federal 50BMG stuff sometime.

In the land of single shot 50's the State Arms is hard to beat. A guy I know won several championship level matches with his. In the case of the bohica, I do believe there was more to it than just bad reloads. No rifle is going to pull a ban from FCSA matches due to an individual error but this was a while ago so please verify facts instead of taking my word. If you dont mind blasting away with a single shot, thats cool. But damn it would be nice to have a mag :D.

I love the reference to 300 yards as "short range"

Way short. No real place around here to stretch her legs. Go west young man.

But what ever you get, join FCSA immediately. Nice resource great magazine, trust me, we need the members. This bullshit in NJ spotlighted just how almost irrelevant they are. And remember, when you obtain one of these legitimate forms of "recreation" no one will stand up for your rights. Because its not them. YET.

.50s were the sacrificial lambs offered for slaughter. Acceptable losses.

Walt

Spider Firearms makes a conversion to 50 BMG single shot from an ar15 lower.

http://www.ferret50.com/

I've shit these and like them a lot for target shooting at 1000 yards distance.

Plus one on joining FCSA even before you buy since there is so much information there.

Also consider joining North Coast Shooters who have regular LONG range matches at military bass in the area.

http://www.northcoastshooters.com/

(Every want to shoot a 50 at the tank range at FT Drum) they've done that in the past. 600 yard match at FT Dix.

Any gun that goes bang makes me smile a little. Shooting the 50 makes me smile a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD