vmastro87

where to try on plate carriers?

If you take a trip to seaside check out Blake's army navy shop. He had a bunch of interceptor style vests with or without soft armor I could check out an ended up getting a really nice deal on an acu vest

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Keep in mind that plate carriers are sized according to the plates that you are putting in them, not the wearer. For example, if you are issued Large (10"x12") plates, you need a large carrier even if you are a size small in shirts because a Large plate won't fit in a Small PC.

The only measurement you will need is around your stomach to size the Cummerbund if that is an option you are going for.

Also read this:

http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/proper_wear_of_armor.pdf

Very important read if you are planning to get armor.

Keep in mind that plate carriers are sized according to the plates that you are putting in them, not the wearer. For example, if you are issued Large (10"x12") plates, you need a large carrier even if you are a size small in shirts because a Large plate won't fit in a Small PC.

The only measurement you will need is around your stomach to size the Cummerbund if that is an option you are going for.

Hmmmm I did not know that. So my marine interceptor vest is a medium so I won't be able to use 10x12 plates? Guess I have to measure the pockets

The interceptor vest is not a Plate Carrier. It is a vest.

Different rules apply there as the soft armor is covering more of your body in a vest.

A Plate Carrier is just that. It carries hard armor plates and offers protection front and back that is limited to only where the plate is with the sometimes optional coverage of a cummerbund for side plates.

A vest offers a lot more soft armor coverage in addition to the hard armor plates.

The interceptor vest is not a Plate Carrier. It is a vest.

Different rules apply there as the soft armor is covering more of your body in a vest.

A Plate Carrier is just that. It carries hard armor plates and offers protection front and back that is limited to only where the plate is with the sometimes optional coverage of a cummerbund for side plates.

A vest offers a lot more soft armor coverage in addition to the hard armor plates.

Ah I just assumed anything that accepts plates is a plate carrier. Time to get me some plates! Any recommendations for plates to go in my vest over the soft armor?

Thanks John I was actually going to buy that untill Blake hooked me up with the vest I have. Here's a pic I took for another thread. Btw so how does one plate fit the front since it is 2 pieces? I'm guessing I need 1 for the back and 2 smaller ones for the front? Or am I looking at it all wrong Posted Image

Why does one need a plate carrier if not in military, LEO, or air soft master ninja?

Personally I got mine to take classes and be able to take my training to the next level. I hope I never have to don my vest or fire a shot in anger but if I do I'd like to be proficient with my tools and gear. Some people think it's a waste of money but you own more then one gun right?

I understand the need or desire to take training( and to next level) or being prepared, but I don't think I'll be randomly wearing a plate carrier at home or while CCW.

I've been wearing mine around the house just to get familiar with the weight. Lol that pic was the first day I got the vest and had to stage a tacticool pic. I'm not even wearing a shirt

Why does one need a plate carrier if not in military, LEO, or air soft master ninja?

Personally I am an aspiring airsoft master ninja...

All kidding aside I think that most civilians that have them own them for training classes or for a home invasion scenario.  I know some people who have them in the bedroom and they can be put on in just a few seconds.  You are now somewhat protected and also have ammo, flashlight, etc at your disposal.  

why do you need a car that can exceed 65mph, a firearm capable of killing another human being, an axe if you live in an apartment, or a myriad of other things?  Who cares what others do or don't do?

Blake is spot on and I've been thinking of adding this to my stuff as well

I think that most civilians that have them own them for training classes or for a home invasion scenario. I know some people who have them in the bedroom and they can be put on in just a few seconds. You are now somewhat protected and also have ammo, flashlight, etc at your disposal.

The exact reason for me.

Posted this in the chest rig thread by mistake the other day, figured I would repost it here where I meant to put it in the first place.  At the store we have a couple of interceptor vests and one style of plate carrier.  It is identical to the Condor Modular Operator Plate Carrier.  We have them in stock in black or Coyote.  Attached is a crappy pic I took of the black one and a stock photo of the Coyote one.  They are $70 after the discount.  

Edit:  stock pic doesnt want to load I can get them to take a pic of it if anyone wants.  We also have a bunch of different tac vests in stock in various colors. 

drcm.jpg