AlexTheSane

Inexpensive Gun Safe at Harbor Freight

If it is the same quality as the rest of HF stuff, I would imagine there will

come a day when it won't open and your will spend another $200.00 +

getting a lock smith the open it for you..............................

Or you could use a fire axe...

Finally picked one up.  They get maybe one or two at a time and they get sold out quickly.  Ended up being $256.79 with the 25% coupon.

It's heavier than I thought.  I managed to get it up 5 steps into the house but ran out of energy getting it upstairs.  So if you buy one, bring a friend to help you get it where it's going.

I was able to buy it for $230 on July 4th and I think it's OK. The safe seems to be 3/16 thick and the weight is over 200 + pounds. I live on the second floor and this wasn't easy to move. I was comparing the Stack-On 18 Gun Steel Security Cabinet which runs for $200. I believe the HF for the extra money is the best way to go. You can always upgrade in the future and use the HF for ammo only.  

Not a bad storage option for the price. Taking the door off makes it a lot easier to move to the basement.

With the coupon I got mine for just under $200.

That makes it about twice what a steel cabinet would be but a lot studier.

When I can afford a real safe this will be used for ammo.

I like the decoy idea too.

Note: 50 Cal cans don't fit "front to back" as the door sits in the frame.

A safe is as secure as its weakest link. Bolting it down into concrete is pointless if the locking mechanism can be bypassed with simple tools. Just keep this in mind when considering which valuables you want to place inside.

Review:

"Lock fell apart after 3 years.

This safe is very solid except for one thing. The lock requires that you enter a code at which point a solenoid contracts allowing the small plastic wheel to be turned to the right which then lets you turn the large handle to open the safe. The problem is that on the back end of a bolt that is molded into the plastic knob there is a nut that holds the whole works together. After a while, in my case 3 years of casual use the nut falls off along with misc parts clattering to the bottom of the inside of the door assembly. The knob will now spin and the door is still locked!

Fear not because you have the override key. Unfortunately the override key in my case didn't work. Fortunately though, when I went to turn the knob a second time(it now spun freely around and around since the nut had fallen off) it came off in my hand!! Leaving a hole where it had been. I think inserted my pinky finger and slid over the mechanism that allows the larger mechanism hooked to the large handle to open the door. I then turned the large lever and it opened!!!!!!

So not only is the lock prone to falling apart,, any burglur could take a large center punch and a big mallet and bash the plastic knob with it's bolt inward opening a gap allowing you to get at the mechanism and open the door. I reinforced mine with large heavy washers and inside which make breaking into the thing far more difficult. I also recommend using locktite on the nut that falls off,, assuming you can get the whole mess back together which I did after some patience. Aircraft nuts would also work."

I get what you guys are saying but for slightly more I would go with this, http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-ts6026e-challenger-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity

More space, fire protection, reputable brand and overall more solidly built, also has very good reviews.

After a few weeks of searching for the BUDGET safe, I ended up getting the HF safe for around $274 out the door.  Bolted it down on the floor and it works for what I need it for.  Well, atleast for now lol...  Since then I added a few LED stick/press on lights ($1 store) and built a custom fit 3 tier shelving unit which I had all the materials in house.

rOdONjR.jpg