So after approximately 9 months of having my Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm cuddling me to sleep every night I decided to go back to my trusty Glock 23. I've been debating this for a while now and I'll explain my theories and ideas I use choosing a home defense tool.

My guns are kept in a safe at all times and when I am not home my HD Gun is in a safe also. However when I am home my HD Gun is generally accessible (not in a safe) with 5 seconds but without one in the chamber due to having children in the house. (I'll clarify this by stating it's unloaded, up high (7ft) and its in my view and if an adult isn't in the room it comes with me) 

Now my reason for swapping. I love the PX4 for HD because the way it shoots but this is where I decided it's not worth it. I would leave the gun with the safety on and unloaded. God forbid a reasons creeps up to use it the I have to rack the slide and then disengage the safety and then I have the long, hard D/A pull. Very unlikely to N.D. Here's what I didn't like about it. It has a safety that in a panic situation I might forget to flip off. Hence my reason for switching HD Guns. ADDED AFTER POST- I thought about leaving the safety off but I don't like how it leaves it in SA. To me it's like cocking a revolver in a HD situation which everything a read is a "No Go"

Now to the Glock. It did have a 3.5# connector but I removed it and went back to the standard factory connector. My reasoning was if I was ever involved in a HD situation I didn't want that to come up that I modified the trigger on the weapon.

Here's what I'm looking on opinions for:

If you had to decide between the PX4 compact 9mm vs the Glock 23 (40), which would you go with and why?

Now I'm sticking to my guns( Pun intended) and keeping the stock connector in there. Do you think I'm over thinking this and why?

Thanks for your opinions

So you basically are switching HD pistols because the PX4 has a safety which you keep on and unloaded while the Glock doesn't have a safety? If I understand that correctly, I don't understand why you don't have both ready for HD. Why just have one?

With proper training and practice, you should be able to use the safety lever accordingly. So I don't really like the whole "safety is one more thing to worry about" argument. 

In terms of the whole Glock disconnector, that is the last thing I would be worrying about.

Edit: Also, I don;t know your shooting skills but it sounds like you may just need to get in some more range training. It kind of sounds like your making an excuse with the PX4 as you make it sound like such a hassle of having to rack the slide and the "long hard DA pull". If you train and know how to use your HD gun, there should be no hassles. A lot of people use a DA trigger pistol for HD, and when you know how to use it, it should become second nature. You know what I mean? And in no way is this trying to come off negatively, or at least I'm not trying to portray that.

So you basically are switching HD pistols because the PX4 has a safety which you keep on and unloaded while the Glock doesn't have a safety? If I understand that correctly, I don't understand why you don't have both ready for HD. Why just have one?

With proper training and practice, you should be able to use the safety lever accordingly. So I don't really like the whole "safety is one more thing to worry about" argument. 

In terms of the whole Glock disconnector, that is the last thing I would be worrying about.

Edit: Also, I don;t know your shooting skills but it sounds like you may just need to get in some more range training. It kind of sounds like your making an excuse with the PX4 as you make it sound like such a hassle of having to rack the slide and the "long hard DA pull". If you train and know how to use your HD gun, there should be no hassles. A lot of people use a DA trigger pistol for HD, and when you know how to use it, it should become second nature. You know what I mean? And in no way is this trying to come off negatively, or at least I'm not trying to portray that.

No offense taken. I have no problem with the DA pull. I actually like that and I'm very accurate with it. It's the whole worrying about forgetting to disengage the safety. The hard trigger pulls don't bother me that's why I changed the connectors back to stock on the Glock. I probably made my edit while you typing about not liking to leave the safety off b/c it puts it in SA mode.

Since you need to rack the slide anyway and are afraid of forgetting to engage the safety, maybe you should leave the mag out of the gun. Leave them next to each other or keep a mag in your pocket.

Another option: S&W M&P 9/40 with magazine safety. Leave one in the chamber and no mag in it. Put mag in, ready to fire.

I don't get it.  Aren't you more likely in a panic situation to forget to rack the slide than forget to take off the safety?  I think the G23 is a great HD gun, because it is so reliable, but not for the reasons you are going with.  My G22 is my gun of choice for HD, but mine is loaded and racked waiting in my biometric with backup keypad and backup backup key lock.  BTW, a 1911 is on the other level in my home office just in case.

No offense taken. I have no problem with the DA pull. I actually like that and I'm very accurate with it. It's the whole worrying about forgetting to disengage the safety. The hard trigger pulls don't bother me that's why I changed the connectors back to stock on the Glock. I probably made my edit while you typing about not liking to leave the safety off b/c it puts it in SA mode.

Well with what you're saying in this post, you sound pretty confident in your PX4 shooting skills so I'm going to have to agree with iCarry in that you're over thinking all of this. As long as you practice engaging the safety off, shooting, safety back on, etc etc...then I don't see why you should have any problems with the PX4 as a home defense gun!

I don't get it.  Aren't you more likely in a panic situation to forget to rack the slide than forget to take off the safety?  I think the G23 is a great HD gun, because it is so reliable, but not for the reasons you are going with.  My G22 is my gun of choice for HD, but mine is loaded and racked waiting in my biometric with backup keypad and backup backup key lock.  BTW, a 1911 is on the other level in my home office just in case.

What lead me to my decision to swap was a false alarm. First thing a did when I grabbed the gun was rack the slide and after I found everything to be okay that's when it sunk in that I was still holding a weapon with the safety on. After that my brain started turning about the "what ifs".

Well with what you're saying in this post, you sound pretty confident in your PX4 shooting skills so I'm going to have to agree with iCarry in that you're over thinking all of this. As long as you practice engaging the safety off, shooting, safety back on, etc etc...then I don't see why you should have any problems with the PX4 as a home defense gun!

I can't even argue that it's lack of training with the px4 with engaging and disengaging the safety. Maybe I'll have to look into a class or two and practice like you said.

And to anyone who reads this.... I am always open to suggestions and take constructive criticism very well. Just try to be gentle, I do have a heart. 

Since you need to rack the slide anyway and are afraid of forgetting to engage the safety, maybe you should leave the mag out of the gun. Leave them next to each other or keep a mag in your pocket.

Another option: S&W M&P 9/40 with magazine safety. Leave one in the chamber and no mag in it. Put mag in, ready to fire.

I do appreciate your response but I'm not in the market to buy a new gun, yet. I do like the M&P and a mag safety feature would not bother me. Safeties in general don't bother me but after that false alarm i started to question if I would have taken it off if it was needed.

1/3 of troops woulr forget to chamber a round at the start of a firefight which led to a change in training and tactics. Stop overthinking this in the manner u are. Leave safety off, mag in but not all the way and stired safely. When u need it, all u do is engage the mag and rack the slide then point. A simple 3 step process that takes 1.5 seconds

or buy a revolver

Where is the option for a carbine....

With that aside the reason I carry a glock (besides its extreme reliability) is that it is always ready... Draw and shoot... Even with shooting a couple of times a week... I am not convinced in a life or death situation I'd remember to take a safety off... A safety is a point of failure for me....

Also as far as modding the gun back to stock...

I prefer a heavy trigger on a self defense gun... But are there cases where a modded gun was a factor In an otherwise clean shoot? If you mean to shoot someone I'm not sure it matters if the trigger is .000000001 lb pull... The shooting was intentional... If it was accidental then one might argue modifications to the gun

Just go Glock.. When needed its point and shoot.. No levers to worry about.. KISS. (Keep It Simple Son)

As you might guess from my screen name, I would second this.  I understand your concerns about forgetting to flip off the safety on the PX4.  Also, I have decided that I would prefer to avoid the whole DA/SA trigger concerns in a high stress situation.  So I keep a Glock 34 in my bedroom (as a backup for my shotgun, and a G19 on the first floor.

Additionally, I'm not sure why you would want to handicap yourself with a sub-compact for HD.  It's one thing to want a small gun for a CCW, but without that constraint, why not go full-size or at least just compact for at home?

As you might guess from my screen name, I would second this. I understand your concerns about forgetting to flip off the safety on the PX4. Also, I have decided that I would prefer to avoid the whole DA/SA trigger concerns in a high stress situation. So I keep a Glock 34 in my bedroom (as a backup for my shotgun, and a G19 on the first floor.

Additionally, I'm not sure why you would want to handicap yourself with a sub-compact for HD. It's one thing to want a small gun for a CCW, but without that constraint, why not go full-size or at least just compact for at home?

I don't know if something was lost here but it's a 23, a compact with 13 rounds and I also have 22 mags with 15 rounds right by it. I'm glad to see there are others on here that agree with me.

Vlad, I do have a nice ar but for my home defense, spur of the moment I'm sticking with a handgun. In a shtf or like a post sandy situation with looting I'm then keeping that handy with my glock as a side arm

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

I do not understand why you kept an unloaded gun with the safety on? Most of these guns are just as safe as a Glock without their safety on. The Glock has a shorter and lighter trigger pull than all DA/SA guns. The safety is there so they can sell it in all States and to make the new gun owners feel safer.

If you are willing to store a Glock 23 without one in the chamber, what is the problem with your Storm being stored without one in the chamber without the safety on? Do not get it but maybe I am missing something. If the gun is unloaded there is no need for a safety, right?

I keep changing my home defense guns too but always switch back to my Glock 19 after the shine comes off the penny for the new gun that took its place. :)

I do not understand why you kept an unloaded gun with the safety on? Most of these guns are just as safe as a Glock without their safety on. The Glock has a shorter and lighter trigger pull than all DA/SA guns. The safety is there so they can sell it in all States and to make the new gun owners feel safer. I kept the safety on b/c when I rack the slide it would put the gun in SA mode if the safety/decocker was off. It changes the pull from a 9# DA pull to a smooth SA under #4 (what I've read the weight is). I"m actually debating buying the 8# connector for my Glock.

If you are willing to store a Glock 23 without one in the chamber, what is the problem with your Storm being stored without one in the chamber without the safety on? Do not get it but maybe I am missing something. If the gun is unloaded there is no need for a safety, right? Read above. The safety is on to allow the gun to stay in DA instead of SA

I keep changing my home defense guns too but always switch back to my Glock 19 after the shine comes off the penny for the new gun that took its place. :) I love my Glock also.

I don't know if something was lost here but it's a 23, a compact with 13 rounds and I also have 22 mags with 15 rounds right by it..

Maybe I wasn't exactly clear either, but I was saying why go with the subcompact PX4, when you could be using the G23, or even something a little larger, since there is no need for concealability, and the larger gun would tend to be more accurate.

So after approximately 9 months of having my Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm cuddling me to sleep every night I decided to go back to my trusty Glock 23. I've been debating this for a while now and I'll explain my theories and ideas I use choosing a home defense tool.

My guns are kept in a safe at all times and when I am not home my HD Gun is in a safe also. However when I am home my HD Gun is generally accessible (not in a safe) with 5 seconds but without one in the chamber due to having children in the house. (I'll clarify this by stating it's unloaded, up high (7ft) and its in my view and if an adult isn't in the room it comes with me) 

Now my reason for swapping. I love the PX4 for HD because the way it shoots but this is where I decided it's not worth it. I would leave the gun with the safety on and unloaded. God forbid a reasons creeps up to use it the I have to rack the slide and then disengage the safety and then I have the long, hard D/A pull. Very unlikely to N.D. Here's what I didn't like about it. It has a safety that in a panic situation I might forget to flip off. Hence my reason for switching HD Guns. ADDED AFTER POST- I thought about leaving the safety off but I don't like how it leaves it in SA. To me it's like cocking a revolver in a HD situation which everything a read is a "No Go"

Now to the Glock. It did have a 3.5# connector but I removed it and went back to the standard factory connector. My reasoning was if I was ever involved in a HD situation I didn't want that to come up that I modified the trigger on the weapon.

Here's what I'm looking on opinions for:

If you had to decide between the PX4 compact 9mm vs the Glock 23 (40), which would you go with and why?

Now I'm sticking to my guns( Pun intended) and keeping the stock connector in there. Do you think I'm over thinking this and why?

Thanks for your opinions

You can take the safty/decocker off firts - rack the slide and you are in Single action cocked...That was my plan up until last month with my unchambered PX4-45...However, I just decomissioned the PX4 and now have an XDM-Compatition (unschambered - so just have to rack), which has a kick-ass 5.3" extreemly accurate barrel (much more then the PX4), 13 R 45acp - 1 r more than PX4, a much, much more ergonomic grip than a PX4, and a nice SA trigger.

You can take the safty/decocker off firts - rack the slide and you are in Single action cocked...That was my plan up until last month with my unchambered PX4-45...However, I just decomissioned the PX4 and now have an XDM-Compatition (unschambered - so just have to rack), which has a kick-ass 5.3" extreemly accurate barrel (much more then the PX4), 13 R 45acp - 1 r more than PX4, a much, much more ergonomic grip than a PX4, and a nice SA trigger.

That's the problem, I don't like the fact that it's in SA cocked. I don't mind have a DA uncocked PX4 for my hand at 3am in the morning.

I have kids in the home, too.  A pre teen and a teenager.  Both have been to the range a bit so they both understand the consequences of pulling a trigger.  Like you everything in my home is locked up until I arrive.  Not my favorite plan as something could potentially happen while I'm not there but it's something I will deal with later.  When the firearms leave the safe, they are all in a "ready" state.  If it's the Glock, it has a chambered round.  I do put a piece of tape on the trigger guard so that if anyone sees the gun they KNOW it's loaded.  However I feel safest with a revolver as my HD gun.  I don't want to start the argument re: autos vs. revos I'm just stating what I use.  It's big, heavy, and has a nice smooth D/A pull that's loaded and ready to go.

Good luck with your choice.  Whichever you choose train, train, train. 

C

Totally understand the caution around having a loaded gun in the same house with children. And I would say that my home defense gun is a Glock for the same reasons.

However, I can't say that I agree with the unloaded chamber strategy. All kids have to do is watch you rack a slide once or just watch any movie or tv show to know "I have to rack the slide".

Personally, my solution is a quick access single gun box or safe next to the bed (either biometric or 4 finger combo).