Shawnmoore81

Active shooter dc navy base

I read a report that Alexis rented an ar at sharpshooters and tried to buy it but a law prohibited an out of state resident from buying the ar15. What law is this? Is that true?

It was mentioned on the radio yesterday that out of state residents can buy long guns in VA as long as that gun would be legal in their home state.   I don't know what state Alexis had a DL in but its possible that his purchase of an AR was prohibited based on that but he was legally able to purchase a shotgun. 

And I also thought it was mentioned that he was charged, but never convicted of the previous firearm incidents.  If so then they wouldn't be flagged during NICS.  Would we really want the opposite?  A potential slippery slope.

Same with his mental health treatment.  Though this seems to be the area most ripe for improvement. 

NICS-wise, this is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  Taken individually the various flags may not amount to a denial.. taken as a whole and its a stronger case. .  The problem is how do you have a system that can look at that, account for that, without sweeping a lot of false-positives up in the process?

Woodentoe that Is not the case on the ar15 I read another article saying that isn't the law. The only thing I can think of is if he was using his NY ID as he did live there at one point then they might not have had a ny legal at in stock. As far as I know he lived in Texas so there would have been no problem as every ar is a Texas legal AR :)

Isn't if similiar to the Batman event? 

Police in Rhode Island warned the U.S. Navy last month that Aaron Alexis was hallucinating and hearing voices, and security officials at the local Navy base where he worked promised to look into the matter.

Newport Police Lt. William Fitzgerald said Wednesday that officers had faxed a copy of their report to the Newport Naval Station after Alexis told them on Aug. 7 that he was being threatened by unseen people and feared that "some sort of microwave machine" was penetrating his body.

"We faxed it to them that same day, an hour after we spoke to Mr. Alexis," Fitzgerald said. "They said they would look into it, that they would follow up on it. It was a routine thing for us to give them a heads-up." 

A Navy official in Washington said Navy security agents in Newport had reviewed the allegations and decided Alexis was not a threat to the installation or to himself. He called the notification "routine" and said security personnel apparently did not interview Alexis or revoke his security clearance.

While in Newport, Alexis contacted human resources for his employer, the Experts, multiple times to complain about hearing voices in his hotel room, company spokesman Lou Colasuonno said. Company employees thought he was referring to actual voices, Colasuonno said, and moved him to new hotels twice.

---

A good article about Clinton-era military base gun ban from 4 years ago: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/11/end-clinton-era-military-base-gun-ban/

"Pentagon review says Navy Yard shooting could have been avoided"

http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-review-says-navy-yard-shooting-could-avoided-151821652.html?vp=1

"...Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered new Pentagon security procedures on Tuesday after reviews found last year's deadly Navy Yard shooting could have been averted if concerns about the gunman's mental health been properly addressed...."

"Pentagon review says Navy Yard shooting could have been avoided"

http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-review-says-navy-yard-shooting-could-avoided-151821652.html?vp=1

"...Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered new Pentagon security procedures on Tuesday after reviews found last year's deadly Navy Yard shooting could have been averted if concerns about the gunman's mental health been properly addressed...."

So it was government bureaucracy that ultimately is the final contributing factor. Mental instability of the shooter, poor background checks, and bureaucratic apathy. Any mention of the weapon being the cause? What troubles me most is the intentional building of a basis for suspicion of former military personnel, Watch closely as it grows, eventually it will be described as an epidemic. Their acting skills, body language, and visual, and auditory punctuations are a dead giveaway. They really need to work on that.

So it was government bureaucracy that ultimately is the final contributing factor. Mental instability of the shooter, poor background checks, and bureaucratic apathy. Any mention of the weapon being the cause? What troubles me most is the intentional building of a basis for suspicion of former military personnel, Watch closely as it grows, eventually it will be described as an epidemic. Their acting skills, body language, and visual, and auditory punctuations are a dead giveaway. They really need to work on that.

Where have you been??? they've been beating this drum Before the Navy Yard Incident.

Do you need a mental evaluation and a background check to go into a mall? To work in an office building?

Just because a naval base happens to perform background checks on many employees doesn't mean we should expect it to prevent some idiot showing up with a gun. The lives at a naval base are no more important than the lives were you work. The background checks are largely for the purpose of national security.

Do you need a mental evaluation and a background check to go into a mall? To work in an office building?

Just because a naval base happens to perform background checks on many employees doesn't mean we should expect it to prevent some idiot showing up with a gun. The lives at a naval base are no more important than the lives were you work. The background checks are largely for the purpose of national security.

In some office buildings you do. Personally I would worry about national security anytime someone who could become so easily unhinged is employed there. If they're not stopping, nut cases, they're not stopping other security risks either. IMO, any security risk in such a facility, could become a national security threat.

maybe this ones a dv? a similar thing happened when i was at a bomber base years ago. guy drove on base and went to wing hq where all the bigwigs were and shot his wife, who was a secretary of some sort. then went back out into atwater and killed himself. it was kept very quiet after the first day or two. same will probably happen here