Shawnmoore81

Active shooter dc navy base

CAC card, its what the DoD uses for ID the last 10 years or so. The no personal weapons thing is a Clinton thing. The no issue weapon carry is way older than that. Not a lot of military people are actually issued weapons permanently. They are given them only when needed, then turn them back in.

One of the Naval officers that was interviewed during the day claimed that even with what he called a CAT card ( ? ), he was not permitted to carry his sidearm while there.

While this is a very sad event, we must look like a total joke to the rest of the world.  Only in America is the military unarmed.  Can you imagine any military base in China, Russia, North Korea, Iran or anywhere else where the military personnel don't have weapons.  We have become a joke.

And in those countries traitors are shot on the spot..

Options, discretion, rights... 

You just don't have a slightest clue how military operates and what it takes to keep the discipline.

Google it or something. 

Well that pretty much settles it then.  Great polemic skills there.

In 19 years in the military, I have never seen this.  Maybe it's on the books but just not practiced?  Also note that many units don't have sidearms for all of their officers.  In my National Guard infantry unit, sidearms are only issued to machine gunners to be used as a secondary self-defense weapon, although I think the commander has one.  I think most infantry units only have about 9 or 10 pistols - it's just not that useful of a weapon for what we do.  

But like I said before, when not being used in a training environment, I could see those pistols going to staff-level NCOs on a rotating duty basis.  

Yeah, I think my original statement was incorrect.  Sorry for the misinformation. 

Don't know if it's true or not.

NBC Washington: Navy Yard Shooting suspect took assault rifle, pistol from cops he ambushed

http://bearingarms.com/nbc-washington-navy-yard-shooting-suspect-took-assault-rifle-pistol-from-cops-he-ambushed/

anymore on this?

I first went in the Army in 1967 and have been commissioned since 1982 and never heard of this "regulation" as it doesn't exist.

You are correct.  I misspoke, which is why I retracted it above.  Thanks for the correction and I apologize for the misleading information.

Most tragedies on this scale require a number of people who screwed up, so far the obvious seems to be the justice system and how it dealt with this guys multiple firearms discharges, as well as those involved with granting him security passes.

What, you mean the guns aren't at fault ?

I first went in the Army in 1967 and have been commissioned since 1982 and never heard of this "regulation" as it doesn't exist.

Aren't Flag officers issued a personal sidearm as a badge of rank, which they are able to purchase when they retire?

I thought this might explain the reports of older men in uniforms who were seen on security cameras with guns and lead to the reports of three shooters.

http://www.army.mil/article/6938/

Most tragedies on this scale require a number of people who screwed up, so far the obvious seems to be the justice system and how it dealt with this guys multiple firearms discharges, as well as those involved with granting him security passes.

Seems he wasn't very thoroughly vetted by the Navy as well.  Multiple firearm discharges, shot a woman's tires out because he was mad.