Pizza Bob

My Experience - LAX Ammo

Like a lot of you, I buy my ammunition in bulk via the Internet. Also, like many of you I use Gunbot as the mechanism that directs me to the best prices and stock status of the various ammo vendors.

I kept seeing LAX Ammo show-up as both a source for new, name brand ammunition as well as commercially reloaded ammunition. I am always a little wary of new enterprises, but they had what I needed at a good price, so I thought that I would give them a try.

Ordered 1K rounds of Federal .40 S&W. In their "Terms of Service", for NJ residents they state the following...

Firearms Purchase ID or Federal Firearms License, AND state photo ID submitted by fax (310-568-0611) or email to sales@laxammo.com

I e-mailed them a copy of my FPID with my SS# redacted (I understand the new ones no longer have your SS# on them - mine does). I also e-mailed them a copy of my NJ DL with the DL# redacted. The requirement for a state picture ID made no sense to me, and since NJ law - with which they were apparently trying to comply - does not require a secondary identifier, I didn't think the DL with the redacted number would be a problem. All it really does is show that the CC address, the ship to address and the FPID address are all consistent. It's my understanding that the police would never release info to a third party presenting a suspect DL - to another LE agency yes, but not to a corporate entity. 

I got a return e-mail saying they would not accept the redacted DL (the FPID was OK) and directed me to submit my DL intact. I voiced my discomfort over supplying them with a document that increased the potential of identity theft. I also questioned the need for a secondary form of ID in light of the fact that NJ law requires the exhibiting of the FPID, only, for handgun ammunition purchases. I also pointed out that they did not require any form of ID from anyone placing an order from a "free" state. I cited the relevant NJ statute and pointed out the fact that the FPID had a unique identifying number. I also pointed out the discriminatory nature of their requirement - either require ID for all orders or drop the requirement for NJ and comply with the law as written.

I may as well have been talking to the wall. They kept insisting and I kept asking what their rationale was for the requirement - for which they could only state "For verification." Verification of what? That I live in NJ? That I have a DL? I guess I'll never know.

I finally, under protest, relented. If I had canceled the order there would have been a cancellation fee assessed and the price of the ammo was a good one. I informed them that it was the first & last order I'd be placing with them until they amended there policies for NJ purchasers. I also said that I would attempt to inform other NJ shooters of their unreasonable requirement - so here we are.

The next step is to see in how timely a manner they ship. In the meantime I'd recommend against purchasing ammo from this company until they treat us as they do the rest of the nation and drop the secondary ID requirement.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Depending on your credit card company you could have canceled the order and then fought the return charge through your CC company. Some CC companies will often take the customer's side, especially if you have a valid reason why. LAX working outside the scope of the law would probably suffice as a reason.

For comparison sake, I dealt with Palmetto State Armory("PSA") several times over recent months.  They only required a copy of my NJFID; which I scanned and emailed.  No requirement for my DL.

I ordered 1k of 9mm and no probs from LAX week or so ago... I just ordered 500 rounds of 45 acp yesterday. It's been shipped already. Their ammo so far is top notch and for the little bit of ID they require, I'm happy the ammo is some of the finest reloads I've seen/used. So, it's up to you folks what you will give up for trying times.

All I sent was my FID and DL.... No probs...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

we are in a unique situation.. I dont mind giving them what they need.. Rather a small inconvence than for the few remaining online places to say screw you NJ.,yes it sucks but how'd you like to depend soley on LGS and hours long, gas sucking roadtrips to find ammo which might not be there..

I have to say that I am somewhat amazed at the replies to this thread. Maybe it is a generational thing, or a distrust of giving up information that goes into a vulnerable database. I guess for the generation that lays their entire lives open on Face Book, giving up your DL is no big deal - at least until you become a victim of identity theft.

I have no problem giving them my FPID, as that is what the law requires. But what do they need the DL for? NJ does not require it. LAX does not require it of residents ordering from other states (with the exception of IL - which is another story I'm sure), so why single out NJ residents. Don't you put up with enough? If I lived 1000 yards west of my current location and placed the same order, all that would have been required of me would have been a credit card.

I also would have had less of a problem with this requirement if it was policy for all orders, regardless of state of residency.

I don't Face Book or Twitter or whatever other social media du jour there is - this forum is about as social as I get. I just can't see any rationale for them to require your DL, when they don't require it of everyone. Someone give me a reason.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<----tilting at yet another windmill?????

I haven't checked, but don't they say you can use some other form of ID besides DL? Pretty sure there was a few options.

Requires a state photo ID (see OP for exact verbiage as it was cut & paste from their site). I was going to send them my Florida CCW permit, but their heads might have exploded.

Hmmmm, oh well. It's a matter of trying times and what you are willing to do to save money which for some, (like me), is tight at times.

Look at it this way, they give out your DL, sue them and own a nice reloading factory. ;)

Your DL number is not a secure doc.  I can get your DL number using your license plate as my starting point.  I would not make a big deal of it.

How can you do that legally?