Bully

Another New Hunter... Now What???

Took and passed the Hunter Ed course at Cherry Ridge yesterday.  I did shotgun and rifle.  It was a bunch of fun and I learned a bit.  Nice group of folks up there that really want you to pass the test.  Good stuff.  I'm gonna head up to Ramsey and get my licenses so even if I don't go this year, I'm in the system. 

I guess the question now is, now what?

I'm looking at the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter for a gun.  To me, inexpensive, reliable and accurate are a good recipe.  I'm betwixt and between 12 and 20ga.  I will scope it.

I've spoken with a friend that has a friend that has around 20 acres in Hunterdon Cty and I have preliminary permission to hunt it.  I am going to take the ride out there and meet the land owner to gain written permission. 

Any other suggestions for me?  Do I NEED camo or will almost anything do?  Is the scent erasing clothes stuff necessary or can I get away with unscented detergent?  Stuff like that is where I get lost.

I have never hunted before and don't want to get in over my head.  That's why I'm asking. 

If anyone on here wants to take a complete NEWB out in the woods I'd spring for coffee in the morning and beer in the afternoon. 

Thanks.

Christopher

Congrats! Let's see what I can help ya with...

H&R USH - EXCELLENT choice. I have the 12ga, but if I did it again I would buy the 20ga without question. The 12ga gets you slightly flatter trajectory, but this is irrelevant for 100yd and closer shots.

Camo? Absolutely not. I use camo when I bowhunt, but it's effectiveness there is still a question in my mind.

Scent-killer detergent on comfortable hiking/camping clothes is what I use for gun season, and I've never been made by a deer with a gun in my hands(you should still consider wind direction when selecting where you're going to set yourself up).

If I can get myself squared away with schoolwork this semester I'll try and take a group out to share my knowledge.

H&R USH - EXCELLENT choice. I have the 12ga, but if I did it again I would buy the 20ga without question. The 12ga gets you slightly flatter trajectory, but this is irrelevant for 100yd and closer shots.

Camo? Absolutely not. I use camo when I bowhunt, but it's effectiveness there is still a question in my mind.

Scent-killer detergent on comfortable hiking/camping clothes is what I use for gun season, and I've never been made by a deer with a gun in my hands(you should still consider wind direction when selecting where you're going to set yourself up).

If I can get myself squared away with schoolwork this semester I'll try and take a group out to share my knowledge.

That would be amazing and wholeheartedly appreciated.  Thanks for the offer even if it doesn't pan out.

C

H&R USH - EXCELLENT choice. I have the 12ga, but if I did it again I would have bought the 20ga without question. The 12ga gets you slightly flatter trajectory, but this is irrelevant for 100yd and closer shots.

That would be amazing and wholeheartedly appreciated.  I appreciate the offer.

C

You need camo, field dressing kit, good knife, gloves, rope, tree stand or blind, cover scent, seat if you get a blind, flashlight, ribbon (tracking). I'll think of more crap later

I hunted for 15 years without camo, a "field dressing kit"(i used a buck knife), gloves(seriously?), rope(unless you consider a deer drag rope), tree stand or blind... and had tons of success. Please don't start this poor guy on an equipment hunt when he doesn't need to.

I hunted for 15 years without camo, a "field dressing kit"(i used a buck knife), gloves(seriously?), rope(unless you consider a deer drag rope), tree stand or blind... and had tons of success. Please don't start this poor guy on an equipment hunt when he doesn't need to.

Yes a dragging rope, also if your getting in a stand you need a rope to get your gun or bow up safely. Gloves (yes) it's nice out now but as you get late in the season the early mornings get colder. My buddies and I cut our own deer up so we have more of those tools. So if you don't need em fine, some people do.

A lot of the gear needs/desires depend more on what sort of hunting you plan to do. Assuming you're talking deer...is it going to be stand hunting, still hunting, drive hunting, up in a tree, on the ground, by yourself, with others?

Depending on what you plan to do, the gear needs and the wants change-sometimes dramatically.  (And of course there's a whole lot more "want" than "need".)

+++100 on the boots. Last year was my first hunt and there is a learning curve.....cold wet feet will ruin your entire day. I found out the hard way lol.....good luck brother and have fun....

The converse is absolutely true.  Warm comfortable boots will MAKE YOUR DAY.

Assuming your hunting for deer, on 20 acres you're going to be still hunting (from a stand, blind or just behind some natural cover) since driving is not practical on 20 acres. If you have never still hunted before, don't underestimate how cold you'll get sitting in a tree for hours in December or January with the wind blowing - make sure you have warm clothes and boots. If you need to buy new clothes, you might as well get them camo so you can use them for winter bow, coyote or crow hunting if you ever decide to go for any of that. Don't forget you need to have enough orange when doing most gun hunting.

I never bothered buying the sent lock clothing because it's expensive. I usually do use sent eliminator sprays when deer hunting, but I'll often also then find a red cedar tree or some similar to rub on my clothes as a cover sent. That said, deer are still probably going to smell you anyway, so pay attention to the wind direction when picking a spot to sit.

Assuming your hunting for deer, on 20 acres you're going to be still hunting (from a stand, blind or just behind some natural cover) since driving is not practical on 20 acres. If you have never still hunted before, don't underestimate how cold you'll get sitting in a tree for hours in December or January with the wind blowing - make sure you have warm clothes and boots. If you need to buy new clothes, you might as well get them camo so you can use them for winter bow, coyote or crow hunting if you ever decide to go for any of that. Don't forget you need to have enough orange when doing most gun hunting.

I never bothered buying the sent lock clothing because it's expensive. I usually do use sent eliminator sprays when deer hunting, but I'll often also then find a red cedar tree or some similar to rub on my clothes as a cover sent. That said, deer are still probably going to smell you anyway, so pay attention to the wind direction when picking a spot to sit.

No offense, but still hunting is not sitting or standing in a stationary place, it is actually hunting while moving quietly looking for game.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a nicely worn in pair of Tim's and some Sorels for the feet.  I'm all about warm and dry.  I'll be on the ground for now as I don't want to invest in a stand at this time.  So, I'll be stalking and waiting. 

I'll grab some scent killing detergent in the next few days.  I'll also grab the digest if they have one handy. 

Knives and rope...  Check. 

C

Hunting digest is available as a PDF online fyi.

Also, used hunting equipment is often very affordable.  I have seen climbing tree stands recently for sale under $150.  Take a look at climbing tree stands and their operation online and see if that might be an option for you.

DJG, thanks.  I know it's available online, I like print if it's available.  The tip on used equipment is one I hadn't considered.  A good tip.  Thanks.

Shawn, one of my favorite movies.  Awesome scene.  Thanks.

C

Jon is a stand up guy. I'm a total beginner and he took valuable time out to show me the ropes last season. I'm feeling a bit more confident this year and I hope to connect on some meat for the freezer.

I remain a little queasy over having to overcome the brainwashed "Bambi" complex that I think all lifelong non-hunters have. I imagine it won't kick in at the time of the shot, but afterwards when I'm up close and personal.

No offense, but still hunting is not sitting or standing in a stationary place, it is actually hunting while moving quietly looking for game.

I could have described it as "posting", but I don't think as a new hunter he would have understood what I meant.

We always called what you are describing as "still hunting" as "slinking".

I remain a little queasy over having to overcome the brainwashed "Bambi" complex that I think all lifelong non-hunters have. I imagine it won't kick in at the time of the shot, but afterwards when I'm up close and personal.

Naahh..........you just need to start thinking about how good that pile of meat it's going to taste........