Duppie

What is the best state's CCW permit to have while traveling?

After a visit to the Poconos and a week long drive down the Route 1 corridor to Florida and back this summer, the wife is hooked and I really want to explore more of America so the question is what state's non resident CCW permit is the most advantageous to obtain and use while on the road?

I've done some preliminary research on states reciprocity,costs and procedure but am a bit confused because the laws seem to be changing weekly.

So far all I can discern is that obtaining a Utah CCW permit offers the better coverage thus far, now as to the procedure,costs and time to do so I'll ask you fine Gentlemen.

Generally the Utah Non Resident class can be had for around $200. I recently took the class at Banger's in Winslow, NJ. It was $200 and approximately 4 hours long and I'm being told a little over a month on the turn around on receiving the permit.

Also http://www.usacarry.com/concealed-carry-resources.html seems to be a popular place to check to see what permit works where.

Thank you gentlemen. As I indicated, I did do some research and Utah's seems to be the best choice.

I also sent away for a handy booklet that lists the gun laws state by state as well as the reciprocity of CCW permits between them,now who offers the best classes? I know some just offer the class while others offer to process the paperwork as well.....is it worth it or just plain simpler to do it myself after taking the class?

Thank you gentlemen. As I indicated, I did do some research and Utah's seems to be the best choice.

I also sent away for a handy booklet that lists the gun laws state by state as well as the reciprocity of CCW permits between them,now who offers the best classes? I know some just offer the class while others offer to process the paperwork as well.....is it worth it or just plain simpler to do it myself after taking the class?

While the booklet might be handy, don't rely on it - laws change quickly these days and the booklet is probably obsolete before the ink is dry.  Before you travel check the current information online so you don't end up in trouble.

While the booklet might be handy, don't rely on it - laws change quickly these days and the booklet is probably obsolete before the ink is dry.  Before you travel check the current information online so you don't end up in trouble.

Yeah....I found that to be the case after ordering the booklet, now looking for an app.

On the East Coast, the only benefit to Utah is Pennsylvania (for now).  That's a big deal I guess, but if you are planning on driving to Florida there is no difference (other than that you need Florida in Florida).

Florida maybe in the future but at this point we're looking into a small RV to do short jaunts at first to some of the other southern states.

I know some just offer the class while others offer to process the paperwork as well.....is it worth it or just plain simpler to do it myself after taking the class?

Your choice.  Almost all courses will provide you with application, photo, and fingerprint card.  Most have you fill out particulars and review them before you leave if you are mailing it yourself with your form of payment.  Gun For Hire does everything including payment.

The Utah is definitely a must have. It gives you all the states that FL gives you except FL and NM. UT also gives you PA which FL does not (for non res) It's also cheaper to renew. 

Get the UT and the FL as a back up. Laws and agreements sometimes change overnight and you don't want to be stuck.

www.handgunlaw.us is an excellent resource. Charlie from GFH recommends it when he does the course. 

I did mine with Gun For Hire. They are excellent and do everything for you, even mail out the app, all inclusive for $200. If you are interested in other state permits such as FL you can do it there too - photos, prints, notary. I believe the UT class will suffice for FL as well. 

Florida actually does a good job but one should always check the actual states' websites. Call ahead if you have to. That said, most states (outside of the prison states in the NE (NJ, NY, MD, RI, MA) and California) are pretty good. 

Florida actually does a good job but one should always check the actual states' websites. Call ahead if you have to. That said, most states (outside of the prison states in the NE (NJ, NY, MD, RI, MA) and California) are pretty good. 

I was able to find a Iphone app called Legal Heat that runs through all 50 states gun laws in a simple format.  Seems pretty comprehensive.

I also took mine a Heritage Guild my class was actually @ Branchburg stores classroom. They also have them in Easton. Location depends which day you sign up for . $130.39 +$51 app fee. I got mine in little about 30 days

Thanks for the info....I like the idea of the Easton location because I've heard the range is pretty decent and we've been exploring Pennsylvania a lot more over the past months.

Thanks for the info....I like the idea of the Easton location because I've heard the range is pretty decent and we've been exploring Pennsylvania a lot more over the past months.

They have a beautiful facility. However, it is out of the way and my GPS could not take me there. I'd call first and ask for directions.