Kimber45

Dura coat

Dura Coat .......yeah or nay... comments and suggestions all welcome... have used other products in the past that required media blasting and baking. Looking to avoid that but I want a nice finish..... my blasting cabinet took a dump and the wife not too keen on me using her oven...lol thanks all.

I've done Duracoat and it worked well. No problems or rubbing off noted. I like Duracoat because I can do it, not send it off for someone else to do. I plan on duracoating at least 1 more gun in the near future.

I just bought a Duracoat kit. Still pondering what to use it on...

Think it was jermez, (forgot his exact tag) used it on his old shotgun and it came out beautiful. If you have something to experiment on, have a ball. If you have the bux, send it out and do it nice. Duracoat is not the worse, but maybe only the cheapest.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

dont wast the money !! I sprayed 4 guns at the same time 2 of them I was able to scrape the finnish off with my fingernail . And was able to remove it with paint remover.

I emailed their tec support, and they told me theres no way paint remover would remove their product , And asked me how I degreased the guns, I told them I used there degreaser and sprayed them down 3 times to be sure they where clean.

I was told " You degreased them to much"  I didnt bother replying back to that 

dont wast the money !! I sprayed 4 guns at the same time 2 of them I was able to scrape the finnish off with my fingernail . And was able to remove it with paint remover.

I emailed their tec support, and they told me theres no way paint remover would remove their product , And asked me how I degreased the guns, I told them I used there degreaser and sprayed them down 3 times to be sure they where clean.

I was told " You degreased them to much"  I didnt bother replying back to that

This is exactly why I paid someone to do cerakote... So it would not be my problem...

Maybe we can get Jermez (cant recall how he spells his tag), and have him give us an update on his shotty since the coating. Got to be at least a year by now. He did a fine job on it... Looked great.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I have used alumahyde a couple of times and it is bulletproof.  Hasn't shown much wear at all.  Duracoat is just buying into the hype, they got their name out there and everyone thinks the stuff is magic.  Pay enough advertisers and even an old Yugo comes out sounding like a Corvette. 

IF you are paying someone to do it, go cerakote. There heat cured product is significantly better and the price isn't much different (i.e. materials are really close in cost, and most of what you should be paying for is surface prep). 

Duracoat is easy to apply yourself except for the whole silicone thing.

"DuraCoat will react with any uncured Silicone near your project. Even Silicone in a sealed tube across the room can cause a reaction. Usually it causes bubbles to form in the Duraoat."

If you are having problems with the coating flaking off early on, that's probably your problem. From end user's reports, duracoat's warning kind of undersells the problem a bit. 

Longer term, unless you are spraying it over a coarse blasted surface that has been parkerized, you don't quite get the surface adhesion they claim. 

Thanks all who replied... I did the duracoat and I have to say it came out really nice.... I have a background in automotive refinishing and I just followed suit. Clean the crap out of it a couple of times warmed the parts up in the oven.....( don't tell the wife..lol..... ) a guide coat than a couple of heavier coats with enough flash time between. I will try to post picks but I havent quite figured that out....duh....