seabasstard

Thunder Mountain

Thinking of heading over to Thunder Mountain tomorrow for the first time shooting clays. I was just wondering what is the customary or appropriate tip for the puller and instructor (as mentioned on their website)?  Also, any suggestions on which would be a better gun to start out with? I have a 20 O/U and a 12 semi. I have near zero experience with clays. Thanks in advance.

if you've never shot clays, why not go to the next meet down at the Clinton WMA and bust some clays with us? There are plenty of knowledgeable people there who help begginers out and get them busting clays in no time.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/62543-shotgun-shootout-november-2nd-at-clinton-nj-wma/

If you have never shot before, they have a practice trap station up on the far right of the course. It's a single station that throws a clay out at a slight angle. Easy to track, easy to hit. A couple of bucks for the puller should be enough. If you're one who must have the puller help load, empty, show how to hold and shoot the gun, then I'd tip them accordingly. Bring both guns and have fun!

Good advice from everyone here. I have found that the practice trap field that a few have mentioned is great for putting rounds through my HD shotguns, which have shorter barrels, making them less useful for traditional trap.

So, how did it go?

Thanks for all the input, guys. Got tied up and went to the indoor range yesterday for a quick session instead, but will be heading up to Thunder this weekend. I picked up a Beretta A400 Xtreme this past week that I really want to get acquainted with so I can get involved with waterfowling (which is new to me). Travel the country, shoot ducks. Life is good.

If you have never shot before, they have a practice trap station up on the far right of the course. It's a single station that throws a clay out at a slight angle. Easy to track, easy to hit. A couple of bucks for the puller should be enough. If you're one who must have the puller help load, empty, show how to hold and shoot the gun, then I'd tip them accordingly. Bring both guns and have fun!

The practice station is a great confidence builder. Went there 6 yrs ago with my son. first time SG for both of us. I shot 22/25 and my son bested me by one with all our misses in the first few throws. have gone a few times since on the other ranges- lots of fun.

Thanks Barms. I haven't shot it yet, but I researched extensively for an all weather gun. I have other shotguns, but I really want to get into waterfowl and this one suited me best. It fits my small(ish) hands and I am real interested to see how the kick-off system works on the 3 1/2 shells. 

I finally got to Thunder Mt but only brought my 20 gauge O/U. Real pleasant experience. Friendly staff and the instructor had me shooting consistently by the end of my first round. 

The practice station is a great confidence builder. Went there 6 yrs ago with my son. first time SG for both of us. I shot 22/25 and my son bested me by one with all our misses in the first few throws. have gone a few times since on the other ranges- lots of fun.

Hey.. can i ask what your son used to shoot ?  i'm looking into a SG for my 9yo nephew, and am not sure what to get him..