Sign in to follow this  
ChadShaft

Recommend Me a Trigger Lock

Hello All,

Can anybody recommend me a good trigger lock? I'd prefer something with a combination lock. I bought a couple of keyed versions from Dick's yesterday and they were terrible. I can't imagine trying to get them off in an emergency, I'm looking something that comes off and unlock smooth and easy.

I have a combo [trigger] lock from Master and it is NOT fast access.  The individual number rings have very little...grip? to them.  I find the number rings cause my fingers to slip a little, and if I grip the middle ring wrong, it starts to move one of the outer rings. (The only time it easily moves is when you don't want it to.)  If the number rings were more cog-like instead of a plain ring with tiny indentations, then that might make a difference.  I believe the numbers can also only rotate one direction, which is kinda annoying, especially if you accidentally go past your number or if the ring gets moved unintentionally.

In a home, for a HD gun, I would never recommend a trigger lock and I would suggest a quick-access safe like the other posters above.  If you plan to carry the gun in the trunk of your car, or will keep it somewhere else less secure like a cabin/garage/shed/RV, then a trigger combo lock might be more appropriate.  It also might not be a bad idea if you only have a cheap gun cabinet, instead of a true safe.

Amazon seemed to be cheapest for the lock I got, if you do still want one.

Trigger locks create unnecessary risk of an ND by inserting an object so close to the trigger.  A cable lock provides the same level of security without that risk and also helps to visually ensure the firearm is unloaded.

For quick access get a quick access lock box.  I prefer the reliable mechanical Simplex lock such as on V-Line, Fas1 or Fort Knox.