After I bought my first handgun my instructor told me always to keep a copy of the salmon-colored permit sheet with the gun, and retain the original at home.

I immediately made a copy for my SP101 and keep it in the box with the gun wherever I take it. But I hid the original so well I can no longer find it. I have all the paper work for my other handguns.

Questions:

* Do we really need to carry that pink sheet (or a facsimile) around with us?

* Any repercussions for not being able to produce the original on a moment's notice?

Seems to me that if we don't need to register handguns in NJ (even though the purchase permit is, in fact, a registration), then I don't need to prove I own this gun legally.

After I bought my first handgun my instructor told me always to keep a copy of the salmon-colored permit sheet with the gun, and retain the original at home.

I immediately made a copy for my SP101 and keep it in the box with the gun wherever I take it. But I hid the original so well I can no longer find it. I have all the paper work for my other handguns.

Questions:

* Do we really need to carry that pink sheet (or a facsimile) around with us?

* Any repercussions for not being able to produce the original on a moment's notice?

* Under what circumstances could I be expected to produce (a) the copy or (b) the original? I can't think of anything.

Seems to me that if we don't need to register handguns in NJ (even though the purchase permit is, in fact, a registration), then I don't need to prove I own this gun legally.

Crumple it up and throw it away as you walk out of the gunshop or wherever.  It is useless.  The Popo will run the serial number anyway (unknown circumstances) even if you have a pink slip for it.  Whose to say you didn't take a blank (expired, etc.) permit and fill it out with the stolen gun's info.

NO,

NO.

You are correct. If you moved into this state with a legally owned NJ compliant handgun, applied for, and got, a NJ FID card,  who would know?  Only the FFL dealer that sold it to you and the Feds, if he happen to go out of business and turned his paperwork in. (OK).

My answers:

1. No

2. No

3. None that I can think of.

Tony357 is correct. However, virtually all police departments can get your SBI number from name, dob, etc and find which handguns you have purchased with a NJ P2P or if you have a registered AW.

This question comes up often. How many people on this forum have been stopped and questioned by police regarding the guns they had in their car?

I scanned all of my purchase documents to pdf files, so as long as I keep my computer (and back up device) I will always be able to generate another copy of a lost document.  Keep the originals in the gun safe. 

I also keep a copy with each of my handguns when I go to the range...just in case I need to prove ownership on the spot, or as Tony said, so I can "be on my way sooner".  It really doesn't take much effort to have the documentation on hand.  I think it shows any authority that I am being responsible, and making his/her job a bit easier.

To that end, I also lock my ammo storage box when in transport, even if it is in my trunk...why not.  I think it helps to support to a LEO that I am a responsible handgun owner, which could only help me to "be on my way sooner", which is all I really care about - avoiding BS that interferes with my life.

As crazy/confusing as the gun laws are in this State (for us and the potentially uninformed LEO's), I think we should all err on the side of being cautious. In my experience it is almost effortless to do so.  Unlike having to potentially waste my time and money defending stupidity if I cross paths with the wrong LEO.

This question comes up often. How many people on this forum have been stopped and questioned by police regarding the guns they had in their car?

This is an excellent question. We discuss this as if it were an everyday occurrence, like the cops are constantly stopping cars and checking the trunks.

I've never been searched by a cop. But one Saturday 18 years ago, after hunting at Wittingham, a wildlife guy asked me to open my trunk. He told me the (original cardboard) box my shotgun was in did not qualify as a case. See, I'm a very stylish guy. But after a minute or so he let me go.

This is an excellent question. We discuss this as if it were an everyday occurrence, like the cops are constantly stopping cars and checking the trunks.

I've never been searched by a cop. But one Saturday 18 years ago, after hunting at Wittingham, a wildlife guy asked me to open my trunk. He told me the (original cardboard) box my shotgun was in did not qualify as a case. See, I'm a very stylish guy. But after a minute or so he let me go.

Okay Newtonian we will count that.

So we have 1 so far.

Okay Newtonian we will count that.

So we have 1 so far.

I wouldn't count it. He'd seen me open the trunk, take out the box, take down the gun, and put the pieces in the box. 

The equivalent for an actual law enforcement stop would be an officer seeing something he thought was suspicious. 

I wouldn't count it. He'd seen me open the trunk, take out the box, take down the gun, and put the pieces in the box. 

The equivalent for an actual law enforcement stop would be an officer seeing something he thought was suspicious. 

So, lemme get this straight.  The fact that the gun was "taken down" into parts wasn't enough for this jagoff, he also wanted to indicate that the box that it was shipped in, that you took it home from the ffl in, was not "enough"??  OMFG.  Tell him to go read the freakin law and tell you exactly HOW this didn't comply.

Ok I was just trying to build up the numbers as I don't think we're going to find a lot of these shakedowns.

So, lemme get this straight.  The fact that the gun was "taken down" into parts wasn't enough for this jagoff, he also wanted to indicate that the box that it was shipped in, that you took it home from the ffl in, was not "enough"??  OMFG.  Tell him to go read the freakin law and tell you exactly HOW this didn't comply.

I didn't know a thing about NJ gun laws at the time, except that my shotgun had to be in a container of some sort in the trunk. I figured exactly the same as you: If I could take it home in a box from the shop, why not from a WMA?

My hunting partner, a bona fide "gun guy," explained the law (as he knew it) to the ranger, who was kind of a doofus. 

All's well that ends well. 

Ok I was just trying to build up the numbers as I don't think we're going to find a lot of these shakedowns.

Well, it's partly the fact that it's off-topic. Maybe everyone's grumpy today. 

Why don't you start a new thread? Include the question of being stopped with guns on board, refusals to allow a search, actual searches, consequences, etc.?