shooter28

Out of state training with low cap mags

Not sure if this is the right section but here it goes. Mods feel free to move.

I am in the process of signing up for Magpul's Dynamic Carbine class. Obviously, this class isn't being held in NJ. Has anyone here run in this type of class with low cap (15rd) mags? How did it work out? I feel like even with a chest rig, I wouldn't be carrying enough ammo to keep up with everyone else in the class. I want to keep the chest rig nice and light so I'm not looking to going crazy carrying spare mags. Im debating buying a bunch of regular 30rd mags on my way down and then selling them to people in the class before I return to NJ.

Anybody here have input?

I did a class recently in PA (with HE but he cheated) and I used only my 15/30 Pmags. I certainly ran low on. Couple of occasions but never ran out. It also helped me learn good ammo management and how to backfill my emergency pouches.

I had a total of 9 mags. (5 on my chest, 2 on the belt, 1 in my dump pouch, 1 in the gun). I also downloaded each to 13 rounds to load in closed bolt.

I say do it if you have the means to hold them, if not do what Midwest said.

I did a class recently in PA (with HE but he cheated) and I used only my 15/30 Pmags. I certainly ran low on. Couple of occasions but never ran out. It also helped me learn good ammo management and how to backfill my emergency pouches.

I had a total of 9 mags. (5 on my chest, 2 on the belt, 1 in my dump pouch, 1 in the gun). I also downloaded each to 13 rounds to load in closed bolt.

I say do it if you have the means to hold them, if not do what Midwest said.

That's usually enough for a string of drills.  I typically have one in the gun, two on my belt and if I'm feelin' froggy, a fourth in a pocket.  I don't run a plate carrier or chest rig.  One time, I did have a fifth mag on me which allowed me to shoot both strings when the firing line was broken in half and there was an extra pair of targets to engage so I basically got double the practice on that string.

why not email them and see what they think?  i'd probably figure out a way to buy 30rd and either ship them to store at a relatives in SC or send a few to midwest PX.  his turnaround time is great too.  although it may not be a big deal.  i've heard some take classes with a 308 AR and 20rd mags with no issues

Sorry for the lack of update. I emailed magpul about the situation and within an hour, their CS rep and the course instructor sent me an email saying extra pmags will be shipped to the class for me to use. I plan on mixing it up using both the provided 30rders and my 15rd mags just to get additional exposure to quick reloads, etc..

I plan on mixing it up using both the provided 30rders and my 15rd mags just to get additional exposure to quick reloads, etc..

Don't do that. If all you had were 15 rounders, that's one thing. But you now have access to standard capacity mags, on the companies dime.

It is considered bad form and inconsiderate to your fellow students to game drills. That's equivalent to running bad mags or a rifle that malfunctions all the time just so you can practice transitions. It slows the whole class down, is a drain on the Instructor and any assistant instructors that are present.

The drills and POI being taught are geared to work with standard mags. You will have access to standard mags, use them please. It will keep you on the same page as the other students and will allow you to pay more attention to the lessons that are being taught.

A reload is a reload, it is no different, no quicker or slower than any other reload whether you are running 10 round, 15 round or 100 round mags.

Don't do that. If all you had were 15 rounders, that's one thing. But you now have access to standard capacity mags, on the companies dime.

It is considered bad form and inconsiderate to your fellow students to game drills. That's equivalent to running bad mags or a rifle that malfunctions all the time just so you can practice transitions. It slows the whole class down, is a drain on the Instructor and any assistant instructors that are present.

The drills and POI being taught are geared to work with standard mags. You will have access to standard mags, use them please. It will keep you on the same page as the other students and will allow you to pay more attention to the lessons that are being taught.

A reload is a reload, it is no different, no quicker or slower than any other reload whether you are running 10 round, 15 round or 100 round mags.

Point taken. I will just use the standard mags