Vangun

Vineland indoor gun range and shop idea

Hello:

First off, thank you for taking the time to read this post.  As the title suggests, we (my business partner and I) have researched this venture and are currently in the preliminary stages.  Due to the holidays, we do have some downtime now before meetings with various parties start up again in January.  As such, we thought "meeting" some of the members of this forum would be a great way to continue working towards this goal.

We have found this forum to be very helpful (we have been lurking here for a while) and filled with knowledgeable members who are passionate about their right to bear arms.  Moreover, we have read through many threads where members have assisted each other by sharing their experiences and insights.  As such, we would love to hear some ideas, thoughts, questions, suggestions, recommendations, etc., so we can potentially tailor the range and shop to meet the needs of, hopefully, our future customers.  We will do our best to keep everyone updated with the progress, and answer whatever questions we can.

Having said all that, and in an attempt to keep this first post succinct, I want to thank everyone in advance once again and I look forward to any input you may have.

Happy Holidays!

-Van

Appreciate the feedback.

Maintenanceguy - 400 yards on the family farm? I'm jealous, wish I had a place like that to shoot. About the outdoor range, we decided very early on that an indoor option would be better for many reasons. I don't see that changing at this point, but who knows.

Medic - Our aim is to have most rifles be usable indoors. Whether we extend the build to include dedicated rifle lanes (thinking 50 yards) is another question which we will continue to look into. Also, we would be looking for a full staff, including NRA instructors since we plan on offering a variety of classes. Hiring members of this forum would be nice.

Doug- You definitely touched upon the purpose of this venture. A family-friendly modern range and gun shop at affordable prices. We're still throwing around ideas at the moment with regard to fulfilling that purpose. Feel free to toss some ideas around. We definitely don't mind being a little "different" and have been discussing adding monthly contests, raffles/giveaways, etc.

Joni - Thank you, and we are exploring suitable buildings for a retrofit job as well.  It's more likely we will go with new construction, but keeping our options open.

Lou - Thanks.  I would love to hire guys in the area that would also be customers when the place opens.  Adds more of a "community" feel that way in my opinion.

On another note, we're discussing initial inventory and thinking about how to go about stocking the store.  By that I mean whether we will be very handgun-centric, with reasonable inventory for rifles and shotguns, or a more balanced split when we open.  Thereafter we will tailor our inventory to fit the needs of the customer base.  We also want to keep a very good supply of ammo and accessories.  The goal is to have at least 9 out of 10 people who walk in find what they are looking for. 

Always good to see more people willing to go into business especially a business that they are passionate about. There are a lot of guys on here that would love to be a part of a place like that (myself included). If the need for part time store help ever comes around I would love to help out. Good luck on this and I am sure that you have plenty of support from here.

honestly? not even 3 months later, we've had holidays and some truly horrid weather. plus there's the whole "gov't" aspect to deal with. if he responds with "movement!" within a year I'll be impressed. good luck to him though!