n4p226r

help me reach my goal

i have a goal.  its really quite simple.  and i think it's doable.  i want to be able to regularly put all my rounds in a small circle at a certain distance at the range.  how small of a circle and how far of a distance is yet to be decided.  as im sure as i get better the distance, size, and speed should eventually increase.  eventually i'd like to add drawing from a holster to that.

what would be the best way to go about doing that. 

lets start with my shooting background.  i've been shooting as a hobby for about 2 years.  my main pistol is a p226r 9mm that i've shot between 1000 and 1200 rounds through (ill check).  i also have a p229r is 357sig. (500rds or less)  both are da/sa with SRT, standard trigger, and standard sig two piece grips.  i removed the hogue g10 when i couldnt stop hitting the slide stop and not locking back on last round.

its going to be easiest for me to practice with rentals as i work very close to woodland park range.  the issue is their p226r has e2 grips and standard trigger.  a majorly different feel to mine.  i dont know what their p229r has. 

i went last sunday and this was my target.  i was really there so my wife could get used to the pistol again but this was 15 rounds at 5 yards.

A4271A69-D011-45B0-9850-84FF5AC96863_zps

today i went and rented and didnt do that well.  as you can see.  3 shots per circle @ 5 yards.  and my first target looked even worse. 

ED596CE3-AFC0-4D74-A151-91D98F67EB9A_zps

im willing to do anything but dont have a TON of money to spend on it or a ton of time.  so i'd like to be as efficient as possible. 

maybe a 1 hour private lesson would work?  maybe dry firing? 

pretty much everything i've learned has been through the magpul dynamics and panteao productions DVDs.

thanks

bill

my first thought is dont worry about speed. take your time, relax 1 shot at a time. aim and stay on target. if you dont have them get some snap caps and try dry firing while at home, making sure you dont move when you squeeze the trigger.  also practice with the gun you will be using not the rental. the minor difference grips and such will make a difference in your shooting. Maybe change your grips to match or something if you need to use the rental. and just take your time with it.

ps. im no pro shooter, have taken firearms training courses, but im nowhere near the level of some other members on the forum.

i dont worry about speed.  what i normally do is decide how many shots i am going to put in the circle and then go for it nice and slow.  sometimes i can feel that i jerk the gun.  sometimes it feels good and the shots are all over.  if i do 3 per circle like in the 2nd pic, i decock and do DA, SA, SA, decock repeat.  so i am trying to get the grip right every time.  dry firing at home seems like im pretty good at keeping the sights from moving when staring at a doorknob or a picture frame or whatever.  but it doesnt translate into the range that well.  i know at 5 yards i should be able to make 1 big hole.  but im nowhere near that yet.   changing the grips to match isnt possible since i prefer my setup and i dont own the rental gun.   hell, i'd buy the grips and SRT for the rental to match if they'd go for it but i doubt that would be the case

Shoot YOUR gun.  Using the rentals is counterproductive.  It's not your gun and you will be having to constantly adjust your technique per the gun.  

Pick a stance and hold and use it.  All the time.  When you can do well from that stance and hold, change to something more challenging.

Put an empty brass case on your front sight and using your stance and hold dry fire the gun in double action until you can do it without the brass falling to the ground.

Take a class wit Jimmy, Rob, or if you have the scratch, Anthony.

Good luck.

C

Shoot YOUR gun.  Using the rentals is counterproductive. 

after shooting the rental for the first time today i figured that was going to be the case which stinks.  i can easily go during lunch.  not so easy on my off time.  and since i can only go during lunch if i rent, its going to significantly change how often i shoot.  i may contact them and see what the rate is for a private lesson.  i'd rather get someone telling me i am holding the gun correctly now before i spend a ton of time learning a crappy grip.  

I'm learning to shoot pistols to and one thing I'm doing is only loading 5 rounds into each mag at at time instead of filling them. 

-Shoot

-Dry fire a couple times to make sure I'm not jumping

-Go look at target

-Figure out what I'm doing right or wrong

I disagree that you need to practice with your handgun and that there's anything wrong with using the rental. You're trying to learn to shoot a handgun, not learn to shoot one specific model of handgun. Practicing shooting fundamentals with any firearm will improve your overall shooting and carry over across different platforms. That's why so many people practice with .22; the cheaper ammo allows you to get in more practice which improves your overall shooting. And the rental is very similar to your own handgun. They're both 226s, just with a slightly different trigger and grips. It's not like you're renting a revolver to improve your shooting with a 1911.

Some formal training should improve your shooting dramatically.

1. Another vote here for a private lesson. After working with me, Jimmy had me inside of those circles at 12 yards.

2. I would stick with your gun while you're "relearning" and check if they'd hold your gun for you (it'd probably help if you're a member). FYI, their P229 also has the e2 grip.

3. While there are probably 52 million videos on youtube on trigger control, I found the following one to be particularly helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVjBq28A84

You may be flinching - to find out, use a ball and dummy drill.

Keep in mind that you must not know where the dummy rounds are in the magazine ie: whether it's the second, third, fourth, etc. so have a friend load them or use a few magazines and randomize them.  

If you're not using a laser then just watch what happens to your point of aim when you dryfire on the dummy.