n4p226r

how accurate are you with your AR-15?

when a target is too far for me to "see" the "dot" I simply put the front site post.. red dot.. or cross hair in the center of the target.. if it is center consistently.. the shots will be as well..

Yes. This is what I've done the last two times. And i get good groups, but I certainly didn't "see" the red bullseye. Just guesstimated the center point and pull trigger

Thanks to all who've replied to my multiple questions about this topic.

How accurate? 

From a bench I can hit reasonably teensy stuff out to 100 depending on the gun and the sights/optic. As a shooter, I'd guess in ok weather I'm about a 3/4 MOA shooter. I've hit that general area repeatedly with various gear, but not MY ARs as I really haven't set them up to do it (i.e. no decent magnifying optic), and I'm not doing that wit a red dot or a ghost ring sight. I've never had my hands on a quality peep sight and a >50 yard range at the same time, so... (also haven't picked up a quality peep in years, and my eyes are definitely way worse than when I was young, so no idea if I'd even be where I was then at those ranges)

With my ARs, kneeling, sitting, and prone, 4" clays at 100 are cake with irons or a dot. Offhand standing at 100 it takes me about 1.5 shots per clay, I have to see how perishable a skill that is when I get free time this year, that required some real practice and changes to technique. Mostly I practiced on my 5" resetting plate. the clays are odd under those conditions. It became hard to assess performance. I'd stick them on the berm, and you can miss just a little and break them or toss them around. 

Standing 25 yards or less, with my .22 upper I've put multiple rounds through the same hole when using the techniques I practiced for the 100 yard offhand stuff mentioned above. I can't say other than things where it produced a "hunh, will you look at that" result that I've bothered to check group sizes at that range. I know I've done pretty well on mini clays at 50 yards offhand. I usually do a 50 yard zero on my ARs, and with a 3 MOA dot, even from a bench I have a hard time getting groups under about 1.5 moa (aka 1.5") and have noticed similar with irons and optics, the limitation seems to be the size of the dot/ front post, reticle when MOA = ~0.5in. There's even some weirdness that factors in from size of the target. Something larger than the aiming dot/reticle/etc but only about twice the size seems to optimize my ability to center it visually and hold center. 

I'll go along with the previous statement that accuracy means different things to different people. There's a lot to be said about the basics, like being able to trust your sighting in of a rifle, but I've found the exercise of setting a goal of hitting a 4-5" target reliably/quick  from 100 yards offhand has been a lot more interesting than learning to make really tight groups at 50-100 yards from prone or bench with all the time in the world. IMO a heck of a lot more technique goes into it. 

Last match i was able to go 1 for 1 on skinny sammies at 200 yard, shooting prone with a T-1

http://mgmtargets.com/auto-poppers-sup-reg-sup/auto-popper-sup-reg-sup-standard-shape

Yep 2MOA from prone is about right. Those targets are getting really popular for 3gunning. The sideways ones screw with people who don't know their drops.

s

Last match i was able to go 1 for 1 on skinny sammies at 200 yard, shooting prone with a T-1

http://mgmtargets.com/auto-poppers-sup-reg-sup/auto-popper-sup-reg-sup-standard-shape

For posterity, those are about 4" across the circle. Vertically oriented at about 100 yards, they are pretty easy. They get harder from there :)