OchoBlue

Bodyguard 380

Does anyone own a Bodyguard 380 and have first hand knowledge of how it is to shoot ?

I realize it's not a 1st choice as a self defense tool but a lot of people conceal carry pocket 380's as a primary or backup.

I've read some shooters prefer FMJ to something like Hornady Critical Defense in this caliber as penetration becomes an issue with a less powerful round?

Does it feel like a 22lr or more like a 40 cal due to its small size ?

Thanks in advance for sharing any first hand experience !

Different gun but I had an lcp 380 and she was snappy to me. With big hands and a small gun it will always be a handful, but it shot better than my friends all metal micro desert eagle which was painful...small guns aren't meant to be comfortable to shoot IMO.

I bought a Ruger LCP right about when S&W released the Bodyguard. The LCP is ok I liked it well enough for what it is. Then I shot a friend's Bodyguard. That was a BIG mistake. I much prefer the Bodyguard...

Better trigger, better sights, subjectively softer shooting, has a safety (nice feature in a pocket or AIWB carry gun)...

Oh well...

I have one and my assessment echoes HE's.

I disagree with Dave8613 as if a gun is painful to shoot you will not practice much with it. I'm not really recoil sensitive but a scandium frame revolver is painful to shoot even with wadcutters. The first time I shot my BG380 I put about 200 rds of various ammo through it with no distress. I've got maybe 500 rds through it with zero malfunctions. Benched I can shoot a 6" group at 25 yds if I do my part which is plenty accurate enough for a small pistol. No problem shooting a max score on a qual course. I carry it with FMJ. My idea of a +P 380 round is a 9mm parabellum. When you look at the ballistics of most +P rounds they really don't do much.

My only regret is if I had waited I could have gotten it without the laser and saved a few bucks. I really don't have much use for lasers.

i have one.  its a great pocket gun for walking around my property and house, but its not a gun that i bought to shoot.  I'm a large pistol kind of guy and shooting this thing is a snappy little bugger.  i chose it over the LCP because the slide locks back on the last round.  the LCP has a much better laser system but no slide lock on empty was a deal breaker for me.  I ran about 20 rounds of WWB through it and that was it.  no fun.

I tired it a GFH range last week. It's a nice tight gun, but the DAO was a con for wife and I.

Dao without an exposed hammer and double strike ability if the gun doesn't go off is what I was looking for in a pocket gun. The trigger smooths out a little on the BG, but it's not an easy pull and it's not supposed to be. It's not a fun gun to shoot either. Again it's not supposed to be. Can you put most of the mag into a target at approximately 5 yards? Then call it good. I really like the gun.