antimatter

So is a 5" barrel really necessary for casual competition?

So i gots some new permits in and trying to decide on a new striker fire/polymer for myself for the occasional steel match that i do, and for 3-gun possibly. 

it seems that i can get my hands on more 4" models than 5" ones.

So it go me thinking is it really worth the extra bucks to get for the occasional steel match/competition or will 4" be just fine?

what say everyone???

thanks

I have a G34 and a G17 and I like the 34 better. if you are thinking about Glocks. The 34 is 5.3 inches or something like that and the 17 is 4.5. The only one that I know for sure that has a 5 inch is the S&W.

My recommendation is the G34 and some internal work for Steel and USPSA production and IDPA ESP.

If you are anything like me it starts as casual and then you get hooked and it becomes a passion and you just want to get better each match. By the best you can the first time and you won't have to do it again for awhile.

I do better with my 5" 1911 but I do fine with my 4.25" M&P. There are other things that affect my placement more than sight radius between those two guns - sights, trigger, grip, weight...

That being said, if I had to do it over again I would have gotten the M&P Pro rather than the "standard" since carrying is not an option.

Is it necessary? No. Will it help? Maybe. a logner sight radius measn you get more feedback from your sight picture (i.e. it'll look like a bad sight picture for less actual error in aiming). This can slow you down. Time matters in most competition, so you can make the math work for you with a shorter barrel. 

Is it necessary? No. Will it help? Maybe. a logner sight radius measn you get more feedback from your sight picture (i.e. it'll look like a bad sight picture for less actual error in aiming). This can slow you down. Time matters in most competition, so you can make the math work for you with a shorter barrel.

The correct answer. Given the same gun, not a 1911 vs your M&P etc, most people will not shoot any better with 5" vs 4". Longer barrels magnify the wobble one has so it may slow you down. Shoot your 4" a few times in competition and see how you do against shooters with your same skill level.

Now if you're looking for an excuse to buy another gun that's a different story.