NJGunGeek1980

New to Reloading

All my NJ Gun Forum friends need some help with some reloading questions as I am looking at getting in to it for various reasons (money, tailor my loads, just plain fun)

I guess first thing first I know I need is a press etc. what are your thoughts on this kit. It looks like it has everything except the dies i will need (9mm, 45, 223, & 308) let me know what you think.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Reloading/Presses-Dies%7C/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/104516280/RCBSreg-Explorer-Reloading-Kit/1581576.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fpresses-dies%2F_%2FN-1100195%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104516280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd751609%253Bcat104761080&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd751609%3Bcat104761080%3Bcat104516280

Next Powders & Primers from what i can see you have to order online in NJ as it is about the only option i know of as places like DICK's etc and local shops don't really carry primers or powder. The problem from what I have read with online is the HAZMAT fees are crazy so unless you are buying a lot its rather cost prohibitive. 

I know i will need a reloading book for various reasons (powder amounts, max case length, etc) but is there any other info i should know like best type of powders for specific loads etc is there a thread already going that I may have missed. 

Thank you all in advance. 

That's probably not a bad set.  I like RCBS stuff.  I've no experience with that particular press--it looks lightly constructed, which may not be ideal for the bigger rifle calibers (I'm just not sure), but would certainly work fine for pistol and moderate amounts of rifle loading.   And it does include the Nosler loading manual.

There are a few local shops that stock powder and primers, and you can find limited supplies at most gun shows.  I don't know what the scene is in Ocean County, but I'm sure the locals will chime in with suggestions on where to look.

You're going to need all four primer sizes for the calibers you mention-you'll have to work harder to find all four in the current climate. (ok, it's possible to find small-primer .45 brass, which would cut you down to three.  But I still don't like small-primer .45 brass).    For the pistol loads, you can probably identify three or four powders that will work in both .45 and 9mm with the bullet weights you want.  That's a good thing, it will increase your chances of actually finding one of them.  You'll probably need different powders for .223 and .308, so identify several you'd like, and hope to find one.  I really like using powders which recommend standard primers, so I don't have to stock both magnum and standard primers in various sizes.  Simplifies inventory management...

Single stage press will need dies and shell holder for each caliber you want to load. Will it do the job? Yes, but for pistol reloading will be very tedious and tiresome.  This can be a good way to start out before you decide if you like reloading or not.  Won't go to waste when you decide you need that progressive press.  Others seem to be happy with a turret type press, never used one so can't tell you.  I have a RCBS single stage that I keep for special projects where not to many rounds are loaded, or I need something fast as setup is very easy, but for long runs of pistol brass a progressive becomes a must. Midsouth Shooters Supply has a big reloading sections as do other online retailers. 

As for reloading supplies, heads can be ordered online with no problem, powder and primers are cumbersome with the hazmat fees.  Best to plan a road trip to a PA gun show, or I believe Solomon's is in you neck of the woods.  Other closer to you can fill in the details.  Powder right now is almost as dry as 22LR.  Hopefully will improve with time.

What's up 1980, me too...

I'm new to reloading too and just got the Lee classic turret press and really suggest going with that one or one like it.

I thought about going with a single stage press but it would take hours to do one box on one of them.

You can use a turret press as a single stage press if you are a little intimated by reloading but Ill tell you that its really WAY easy-er than you think. Watching videos and reading all the tons and tons of info on the net is a little overwhelming but once you get the stuff in your hands, do some reading and understand the parts and stages its a breeze.

Here is the thread I made with some info on it.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/66045-getting-started-in-reloading/

Also this guy

http://www.nereloading.com/index.php/

is somewhere up around your parts I think, call him, super nice guy, he has primers and bullets in stock and you can probably drive there and pick them up.

One more thing... Amazon has all the reloading stuff cheaper than Cabelas

IMO, one of the best deals out there is the lee calssic turret kit. The steel one, not the aluminum one. It even comes with the lee manual, which has a very substantial how-to section. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press-deluxe-kit

I started with the old cast aluminum turret, and was pretty well served. This sucker is nicer by a far degree. Lee, hornady, and dillon are the only brands I'd consider for presses. Dillon is really good, hornadyy's lock-n-load AP periodically rules the roost on price to performance for a progressive, and LEE owns the value for turrets and starter kits. I love me some RCBS and redding dies, but their presses are way overpriced IMHO. The only press outside of that that is worth the money under the right situation is the foster co-ax press, and you'll know it's what you need when you need it. 99% of reloaders won't need it. 

I gave my old lee away to a forum member. I got the new steel one for the same job, which is loading rifle ammo. My progressive is set up for pistol. 

OP, the kit you posted includes a Nosler reloading manual, so don't run out and buy one until you decide on a start up kit, as many come with an included reloading book.  That said, I have 3 different books that I have acquired over time.  All good to have as much reference material as possible.

I am strictly a handgun loader and I only use an old RCBS RS2 single stage press.  As I have told friends who get into hand loading, "it's not a race", meaning my objective isn't to load as many rounds as fast as I can.  Hence, no turret or progressive press for me. 

For my purposes (approximately 35 range trips per year) the single stage press works well enough.  You may decide to go for a turret or progressive press which will cost you more up front.  Consider this, as I understand it, some guys who really get deep into reloading many calibers (including rifle) will have a second, single stage press that they set up for specific operations.  Others here can comment on this, but I suppose you still won't go wrong if you start out with a single stage setup.

Good luck!

OP, the kit you posted includes a Nosler reloading manual, so don't run out and buy one until you decide on a start up kit, as many come with an included reloading book.  That said, I have 3 different books that I have acquired over time.  All good to have as much reference material as possible.

I am strictly a handgun loader and I only use an old RCBS RS2 single stage press.  As I have told friends who get into hand loading, "it's not a race", meaning my objective isn't to load as many rounds as fast as I can.  Hence, no turret or progressive press for me. 

For my purposes (approximately 35 range trips per year) the single stage press works well enough.  You may decide to go for a turret or progressive press which will cost you more up front.  Consider this, as I understand it, some guys who really get deep into reloading many calibers (including rifle) will have a second, single stage press that they set up for specific operations.  Others here can comment on this, but I suppose you still won't go wrong if you start out with a single stage setup.

Good luck!

Upgrading to a progressive press isn't about "racing", it's about efficiency. Any person that doesn't have a good, safe workflow can screw up on any type of press because the majority of problems can be narrowed down to user error / carelessness.

I absolutely agree.  My point was that others I have spoken with about reloading want to make as many rounds as fast as they can, so they lean towards a progressive versus single stage set up.  If the user requires large volumes of ammo, then a progressive is the way to go.